Exercise and chest pain

Options
question for you all.

I am REALLY unfit, due to never exercising in my life ever, and have not long started going jogging, and when i've been jogging for 30 seconds or so i get a burning, deeply aching pain in my chest, and it spreads to my jaw and throat, (and i'm obviously desperately out of breath and gasping for air) and i have to stop running for a bit and i just kind of speed walk it through until i can start jogging again (ok, so i said i've started going jogging, it's more like intermittent jogging). I was wondering if this is normal for someone who is unfit like me, or whether i should be worried? I'm not overweight and my blood pressure and cholesterol are perfect. I walk up and down fast, carry heavy boxes and push pallets all day at work and it doesn't bother me, i only get the pain when my heart rate gets really high (like when i'm jogging.) I've been doing it 2 weeks now, and the pain hasn't got any better.

I was wondering if this is normal for someone who is really unfit like me, or whether i should be worried?

Replies

• hitsnooze
    hitsnooze Posts: 79
    Options
    anyone experienced this before?
  • gypsy_spirit
    gypsy_spirit Posts: 2,107 Member
    Options
    I have not experienced this. It could just be that you are not used to exerting yourself. BUT - never mess around with chest pain especially when you add jaw pain and shortness of breath. Please see your doctor before continuing to run.
  • gerla_k
    gerla_k Posts: 495 Member
    Options
    no sorry. I do get out of breath feeling while running but i wouldn't call it a chest pain. I can suggest to take it easy, start by power walk for a week or so ? Also, check with your doctor ?
  • MaeRay007
    MaeRay007 Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    Don't mess with chest pain, just walk and ease into it. But most importantly see a doctor!!

. But yes, running sucks. My lunges burn and I get a weird blood taste in my mouth. But it's been like that my entire life.
  • seattlerain
    seattlerain Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    As a nurse:

Please be evaluated by your family doctor.

Thanks.
  • oniwolf382
    Options
    Go to a doctor to perform a stress test. They'll hook you up to monitors while you jog on a treadmil and measure stuff. No idea what exactly, but i'm sure it'll help or at least give some direction to what may be wrong, it's definetly not normal. I am overweight and get the typical burny'lungs feeling when exerting myself, but no chest pain, no shortness of breath, always able to jog, just not flat out run.
  • kethry70
    kethry70 Posts: 404 Member
    Options
    I would go get checked - better to have an abundance of caution than not:
    http://www.nhlbi.nih.gov/health/health-topics/topics/angina/signs.html
  • techgal128
    techgal128 Posts: 719 Member
    Options
    I have the same thing. I get chest pain when my heart rate goes over 140 and my breathing turns ragged. My blood pressure and cholesterol are all fine (I am overweight though). I've gone through testing and my doctor says it's just due to me not being fit. She prescribed an inhaler in case I have asthma but that didn't help. You can always go to the doctor to double check but it's likely the same thing.

I'd also note that my doctor did mention that it could be angina. Unfortunately if it is, there really isn't much you can do. You just have to avoid triggers such as stress, overeating, overexertion, etc.
  • brandyjones1991
    brandyjones1991 Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    It's probably nothing, but if it comes with pain in your left arm, seek medical attention immediately.
  • David_AUS
    David_AUS Posts: 298 Member
    Options
    Back off on the heart rate / intensity and see how you feel. I experienced this once when I was running my heart rate way too high really for my fitness level. You want to have enough intensity in cardio that it inspires a positive change. I know you are probably trying to get the most out of your cardio but over stressing can cause harm as well. I am not sure what heart rate you are running at but try taking off 20 - 25 BPM and see how you feel - It is likely you still will start working a sweat at 15mins or so.

Of course if your symptoms do not desist than see a doctor.
  • LKArgh
    LKArgh Posts: 5,179 Member
    Options
    If it is actual pain, call your dr. If you are just out of breath, forget jogging and set a goal of walking for 30 minutes per day at a comfortable pace. Once you can do this without getting exhausted, then add very slow jogging, like barely running instead of walking and start with short intervals, like 1 minute jog, 3 minutes walk and work your way to more jogging than walking from there. Forget being "fast" until you can do a comfortable slow jog without stopping to walk for at least 10 -15 minutes. And if it takes months, it is fine and it is normal.
  • GeminiFitness1
    GeminiFitness1 Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    Make sure you warm up first before you jog like walk 5-10 minutes because you want your lungs to get used to it.