Has anyone here been bullied?

Options
Has anyone been bullied? Cause i have, for the most of my life.

I just felt like asking this, and you don't have to answer it if you don't want to because i know how personal it can be, as most people on this sight are overweight and want to lose the excess weight (again, i'm not meaning to be rude).
Most people get bullied for this because there are some really stupid and ignorant people in this world out there who feel like they should ruin other people's mood or self consciousness because they feel like it.

So, have you ever been bullied? If so, how have you dealt with it?
Personally for me, i haven't. I've really just kept it building up inside me because that's the easiest way to cope with it, in my opinion. To just not care.

Replies

• ClaireBear160382
    ClaireBear160382 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I got picked on when I was at school for my weight and my hair colour (strawberry blonde im a ginger in denial lol) I found it hard to deal with when I was younger, I never wanted to go to school but as ive got older ive learnt to deal with it ive got a thick skin and nothing much bothers me the way I look at it is they are calling me they are leaving someone else alone.
  • MysteriousMerlin
    MysteriousMerlin Posts: 2,270 Member
    Options
    Just in jr high. I wasn't overweight then, I don't really know what started it.
  • VoodooSyxx
    VoodooSyxx Posts: 297
    Options
    Can't really say I was ever bullied. In high school I got pushed into a lot of fights I'd rather not have had. High School is a weird place and I think some people have a prison mentality or something that makes them want to pick a fight with the biggest guy around. Like that's ever turned out to be a good idea.
  • laurynwithawhy
    laurynwithawhy Posts: 385 Member
    Options
    I don't like to say bullied, but I was teased a lot growing up for everything. My weight, my size, my height, my looks, my hair, my clothes, the way I talked, my athletic ability (I did lots of sports, though not all well.) I was basically the butt of every single joke from the time I was about 8 or 9 until I went away for college, and even then I still ran into people who liked to give me a hard time. It's a fine line. Most of time I laughed along with people when they would "joke" about me, but I never thought it was funny. And if I tried to stick up for myself I was being "too sensitive" or "dramatic". Don't get me wrong, I had some real friends, but I also had a few people who went out of their way to torture me, especially through high school. And pretty much everyone else treated me like a joke.

It definitely affected me, how I treat people, how I relate to them. It's hard for me to get close to people, and I hold huge grudges. Once you do something to hurt me, you're out, no questions asked. In some ways it's bad, but at the same time it keeps the negative out of my life. I can't tolerate it anymore. After all, I always say there are 7 billion people in this world, and I can find someone else to treat me the way I deserve to be treated.
  • Lesa_Sass
    Lesa_Sass Posts: 2,213 Member
    Options
    Yes, big time. But mine was for being under weight and not having any boobs.

About 10 years ago one of my bullies got my phone number from my sister and called me to apologize. She said that her step father was abusing them and their mother was not doing anything about it, so she took it out on me because I was an easy target. That went a long way in healing me.

6 years ago I got sober, worked the steps of AA and learned how to let a great deal of stuff I had been holding on to go.

3 years ago I joined facebook and see that all of the people that bullied me are still sad and miserable people.

In the now....get bullied on MFP all the time because I actually believe in eating a nutrient dense diet and do not believe people should eat processed and refined foods for a majority of their diet. Thing is, it bothers them way more than it bothers me because I learned to deal with it now. No one can hurt me with out my permission.:wink:
  • Flabby_2_Fabby
    Options
    I was bullied from the time I was 7 years old until I left high school. My weight has always been the main point of the bullying. It's so damn hurtful. And even more heartbreaking when your own family are the ones doing it. The worst ones are the people who say, "You have such a pretty face...now of you could only lose a few pounds." Uhmmm.....a compliment AND an insult all in one sentence! Thanks!!!!
    Even to this day if someone were to make a snide comment about my weight, I might just burst into tears. I know I should probably be used to it but I'm not. I'm very sensitive about my weight. And just recently found the strength deep within me to do something about it and start dieting and exercising.
    I never understood why I was bullied because I'm such a sweet person and I have a great personality. I'm funny and witty....and pretty freakin smart...if you'll allow me to toot my own horn for a second.
    Bullies are terrible people. And a lot of the ones I've come across have a boatload of their own problems...most of them worse than being chubby!!!
    Bullies can kick rocks!
  • Spewze72
    Spewze72 Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    Yup, at work...2 years in the most toxic environment I have ever experienced. But I escaped. :)
  • Tracey_B_72
    Tracey_B_72 Posts: 1,021 Member
    Options
    Yeah at work, it went to an investigation and I had to be moved to a new dept, things were very uncomfortable for a long time but getting better and I'm glad I stood up for myself.
  • BridgetteH27
    Options
    I was bullied for 2 years from one girl in particualar approx 10years ago, I was a size 12 -175cm tall and she was a size 8-10. She always used to give me a hard time and say I would never make friends, find a boyfriend, be able to wear singlet tops and short skirts and shorts because I was really really fat and very unattractive at that size and I need to loose weight if I ever wanted the "social" side of life. This sent me emotionally out of control and this continued until just recently when I sort help from counsellors and came out and spoke about it to my family and my fiancé. Until then I had been bottling it up. It was really hard for me but now it also feels like a burden has be lifted and I can move on now and change my life and mind sets. My family never new about it I used to hide it so well.
  • withintherose
    withintherose Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    I was teased a lot. I wouldn't say bullied because I always had the intimidation factor and sarcastic attitude so I never got into altercations. It made me turn even more into an introvert and that along with the way I personally felt about myself - gave me a very bad self conscious issue that I still battle to this day.
  • dintentions3
    dintentions3 Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    i get bullied by my parents. telling me im fat. and unfortunately i live with them right now. but i guess its made me decide to lose weight. nothing i can do about it bc its always been that way, they are in their 50's and they arent going to change now.
  • LaCane77
    LaCane77 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I was bullied by a family of kids, they took my lunch money, broke my glasses, all kinds of dumb stuff in elementary school.

But I got revenge in high school during football practices i just happened to be a 6'3 288 lb. offensive lineman at the time, and the other guy was a 5'9 170 lb. linebacker, and I took great joy in driving him into the ground every chance i got lol...
  • Cheechos
    Cheechos Posts: 293
    Options
    I was bullied heavily in elementary school. It didn't stop until I got to middle school and started being on the offense 24/7. As soon as someone looked at me funny I'd be screaming at them. That pretty much put a stop to anyone even thinking of picking on me.
  • ashleyblossom1
    ashleyblossom1 Posts: 699 Member
    Options
    And even more heartbreaking when your own family are the ones doing it. The worst ones are the people who say, "You have such a pretty face...now of you could only lose a few pounds." Uhmmm.....a compliment AND an insult all in one sentence! Thanks!!!!

QFT

I was never bullied in school. But I think family is the worst because they say the meanest things and mean no harm at the same time. "I'm glad you are finally dieting because you're so beautiful but that back fat was getting ridiculous. It looks bad when you walk away. Proud of you!"
    Thanks mom -__-
  • kanika419
    Options
    I was bullied by this girl for many years,I was a good student and tried to stay out of trouble in school so she would instigate and make up lies about me....I would later realize she was completely jealous of me..........Years later I would see her and a whole load of kids on the busstop as I rode past her in my beautiful new car..........
  • Mygsds
    Mygsds Posts: 1,564 Member
    Options
    Yes, by the man I was totally in love with, my husband. It started shortly after our son was born. Before I got pregnant I weighed 115 lbs. and right after he was born, I weighed 145. He could not understand how I could not lose the weight quickly. In 3 months I had lost 15 lbs and I thought well on my way. The name calling and embarrassing me in public if I wanted to order anything he did no approve of . The whole time he admitted to me he had an affair with a woman who was my best friend since our son was a month old. I can't understand why I took the verbal abuse, but did not want to be alone. Long story short, he moved out when our son was about 1 year old, later married my friend. I guess I am a believer of karma because I met a WONDERFUL MAN 4 years later, fell in love, married and raised my son. My husband is 6'4. 265 and built like a brick --it house. He loves me unconditionally and now when I run into my ex (live in a small town) I see what a pathetic loser he really is. By the way, his wife is HUGE.. So never give up because there are bullies out there, but don't let them take over your life...
  • fheppy
    fheppy Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    even more heartbreaking when your own family are the ones doing it. The worst ones are the people who say, "You have such a pretty face...now of you could only lose a few pounds." Uhmmm.....a compliment AND an insult all in one sentence!

I am often told the same!! :( and mostly from my family too.
    It affects my view of people, if i am honest i can say i hate people. so many bullies and they all want to hurt. I trust noone.

I shall add i was always fat, from the age of 3. (yes. 3, not 13)
    and worst is my mum. i remember the nurse and doctor told her when i was about 7-8 that i should diet, eat healthy, do sport, and told my mum to cook healthy. she never did anything, kept buying unhealthy things. i think it was something out of my control at that age.

i was bullied in primary school because of my weight. bullying stopped when i went to high school, people were more mature there than in primary school. however, friendships and relationships avoided me, i know it doesn't count as bullying but still its kinda it but a less radical form.

after high school i moved to another country and now people that used to be my friends at home tried to bully. i think they are just plain jealous of me succeeding in life. shame. i cut them out just like that. but it did hurt.
  • Branstin
    Branstin Posts: 2,320 Member
    Options
    I was never bullied but I got picked on while in school. I started confronting them and inviting them into the streets then they left me alone. Sometimes, you have to get in peoples' faces who screw with you. They don't have a right to do that ****.
  • Lesa_Sass
    Lesa_Sass Posts: 2,213 Member
    Options
    What happened to all the posts before mine? Am I the only one that does not see the original post?
  • pandagirl813
    pandagirl813 Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    I never really got bullied because i was the quiet nice one that was friendly to everybody, and i was always reading book to tune everybody out.

In 4th grade i started at a new school and i tried to be nice to a girl that was a friend of my best friend, Katey. We always fought like cats and dogs if she wasnt around and i once had to sit recess out with her because our argument turned into yelling and a teacher was nearby.

Not too much happened in 5th except one guy laughed at me for something and i punched him in the gut.

In 6th there was this one girl, Lauren, that had an annoying laugh and rode my bus. At the time i was only about 10 pounds over what i should have been, and i heard her mention something to another girl about how i would never get a guy and on my way off of the bus i turned around and slapped her. I didn't get in trouble because i had a nice bus driver that was 25 and he knew what a b*tch she could be.

In 7th Katey switched to home schooling and i realized that she was my one true friend.

In 8th i switched too and was so much happier and made more friends that im still friends with today.

Things are getting worse nowadays though. One of my little 2nd grade cousins who was 6 at the time (shes now 7) was bullied because of her weight. She's a bit chunkier then other kids and it doesn't help that her mom owns 2 candy stores(she does limit her a lot though). She is one of the sweetest kids you can meet and wants to be friends with everybody, but in December she came home crying because one of the girls poured water on her pants so it looked like she peed herself and everybody started laughing at her. My aunt also found out that some of the girls had been calling her "Fatty" and other cruel things. She pulled her out of school until she got a call from all the other parents having there kids say their sorry, and my cousin switched hallways and has been doing much better.