Good pedometer apps?

Options
I used to use Free Pedometer, but it doesn't seem to be in the app store anymore. I tried another one today, but couldn't turn off the pedometer while I was driving (so my steps logged were WAY off). It was also over 100 calories off between what it was logging on my main page, and what was on my daily stats page, so I can't even try to estimate what I burned based on the data in the app.

So, has anyone used an app with a good interface, and is generally accurate with logging your steps, route, and estimated calories burned? It's my only option until I can find a good HRM.

Thanks!

Replies

• missiontofitness
    missiontofitness Posts: 4,074 Member
    Options
    I used to use Free Pedometer, but it doesn't seem to be in the app store anymore. I tried another one today, but couldn't turn off the pedometer while I was driving (so my steps logged were WAY off). It was also over 100 calories off between what it was logging on my main page, and what was on my daily stats page, so I can't even try to estimate what I burned based on the data in the app.

So, has anyone used an app with a good interface, and is generally accurate with logging your steps, route, and estimated calories burned? It's my only option until I can find a good HRM.

Thanks!

And just to clarify, I wasn't trying to turn it off while driving, haha. I couldn't get it to turn off before getting into my car.
  • Tracey_B_72
    Tracey_B_72 Posts: 1,021 Member
    Options
    I use runtastic pedometer it's brilliant, you have to put your stride size into it and a few other details, you can link it with MFP so it'll go into your diary. I regularly count 100 steps and check it and it's spot on. I don't like the GPRS ones then drain your battery to much and spike off randomly.

With the runtastic app you can pause it if you going in the car.
  • chribro
    chribro Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    It's not an app per say but me and my wife both use a Fitbit, the lower end only cost about £30. They then synch with your phone and you can even set it up to talk to MFP. We love them so much I even managed to get my mum using one.
  • missiontofitness
    missiontofitness Posts: 4,074 Member
    Options
    It's not an app per say but me and my wife both use a Fitbit, the lower end only cost about £30. They then synch with your phone and you can even set it up to talk to MFP. We love them so much I even managed to get my mum using one.

I'm over in the U.S, so I think that translates to around $45 here. How did you find one so cheap?! The cheapest I've been finding online is close to $100. :(
  • iquiltoo
    iquiltoo Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    I'm over in the U.S, so I think that translates to around $45 here. How did you find one so cheap?! The cheapest I've been finding online is close to $100. :(

I think it depends on which one you buy. But be aware, it will count steps while driving (it counts the bouncing around when you go over bumps) but it does have an "activity" monitor that you can press when you get into the car, then when you get out, then you can log it as "automobile" and it will wipe out any steps/floors that you accumulated while driving. I have the Fitbit One, which I like a lot but yes, it was near $100. The customer service is very good though, from reports I have heard on line.
  • chribro
    chribro Posts: 20 Member
    Options

This is the one I've got....haven't noticed it adding steps when I drive (used to drive 50 miles a day)

http://www.amazon.com/Fitbit-Wireless-Activity-Tracker-Charcoal/dp/B0095PZHZE/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1396050091&sr=8-4&keywords=fitbit
  • OkamiLavande
    OkamiLavande Posts: 336 Member
    Options
    I don't know if it's on Apple/Android but on my Windows phone I have a free version of an app called Pedomaster. You can track different routes you take, pause it, turn it off, and use it for tracking runs. I love it. It even lets you rate the walking you do if you do trails and stuff.
  • vaporhockey83
    vaporhockey83 Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    Fitbit is great....the Fitbit One is $100, the Zip is $30-45. Both are great either way. You do have to set your "strides" (measured by measuring your walking and running strides with measuring tape). After you do that, it's very accurate in my opinion. Worth the investment. They're both clip-ons. They have the Flex and a newer model that are wristbands if you prefer those. I think they go for $110. I love it though. Has an app on the Droid/Apple phones, a website, and syncs with MFP.
  • TXEXrunner
    TXEXrunner Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    FitBit seems to be the most popular based on what I have seen other MFP friends posting.
  • davewagner2
    Options
    On android, I've used several. Pacer (which uses the hardware step sensor in newer phones) is very accurate and battery friendly on my phone. Moves when setup right is battery friendly despite the occasional GPS use. Moves can also be setup to export through moves-export.com to runkeeper to MFP automagically.