Does what you eat matter?

Options
In losing weight and looking better, could I still eat the same calories that I am eating now (1590) with Mcdonald's and still get the same results as eating extremely healthy?

Sometimes I wonder whether this is my problem or not. I drink a lot of water, I eat over my calorie goal but that's because I don't log my exercise minutes and I workout 5-6 days a week for 2 hours or more. Granted, I have a lot of muscle to begin with because I am an athlete and I only have about 20 pounds to lose. I am currently 5'6'' and 150 pounds and my goal is 135.

My problem is that I eat a lot of sugar. Sugar is basically an addiction for me, I have to have something sugary at least once or twice or thrice a day but is it ok to eat a lot sugary things as long as it's under your calorie limit?

I think my diary is open to the public so if anybody would like to look at it and give me some suggestions, please do.

Replies

• sokkache
    sokkache Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    any help?
  • peleroja
    peleroja Posts: 3,979 Member
    Options
    1500 calories per day of fast food and baked goods will allow you to lose just as much weight as 1500 calories per day of lean protein, vegetables, etc. However, your body needs various macro and micronutrients for optimal health, so if your diet is lacking those you won't be as healthy as you could be. Unless you have a medical condition like diabetes or celiac disease, the type of food you eat won't affect your weight loss. It may affect your energy levels, fitness, and overall wellness, but it won't stop you losing weight.

ETA: I looked at your diary, and you are often over your calorie goal. That is where the blame will lie for not losing what you should, not what you're eating. If you weigh and measure all your food diligently and stay under your calorie goal every single day, you'll lose no problem.
  • AmyRhubarb
    AmyRhubarb Posts: 6,890 Member
    Options
    Same question was asked earlier today, lots of info here: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1235725-does-it-matter-what-you-eat :smile:
  • hill8570
    hill8570 Posts: 1,466 Member
    Options
    For most reasonable diets, yeah, it's all about the calories.

If you're working out on a regular schedule, such that you can figure out an average activity level per week, I'd recommend calculating your TDEE at something like http://iifym.com/tdee-calculator (and use the "enter activity level" portion so you can get pretty accurate). Then calculate your goal calories from that so you're not just handwaving away the going-over calories. Heck, if you're really working out hard, you might be undereating and that's causing the weight stall.

BTW, have you had a trainer calculate your BMI or body fat %? Even by normal measures you're under 25 BMI, and the standard BMI calculations tend to be pretty worthless for athletes. It's possible that for your build, musculature, and training regimen, losing weight is unrealistic.
  • sokkache
    Options

If you're working out on a regular schedule, such that you can figure out an average activity level per week, I'd recommend calculating your TDEE at something like http://iifym.com/tdee-calculator (and use the "enter activity level" portion so you can get pretty accurate). Then calculate your goal calories from that so you're not just handwaving away the going-over calories. Heck, if you're really working out hard, you might be undereating and that's causing the weight stall.

BTW, have you had a trainer calculate your BMI or body fat %? Even by normal measures you're under 25 BMI, and the standard BMI calculations tend to be pretty worthless for athletes. It's possible that for your build, musculature, and training regimen, losing weight is unrealistic.

I definitely have body fat that I do need to cut off, but I know that there's also a lot of muscle in my body. I'm kind of worried that I might be losing just as much muscle as fat as well. My BMI is slightly under overweight, and my TDEE is around 2100 calories and it says I should be eating around 1700 for fat loss. Maybe I shouldn't be going over my calorie limits.
  • rhenry086
    rhenry086 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    If you are using TDEE instead of logging exercise calories, you should not be going over your calorie goals.
  • Happymelz
    Happymelz Posts: 536 Member
    Options
    You can lose weight eating junk from McDonalds and Taco Bell. I eat dinner out several times a week and eat fast food once or twice a week as well.

BUT, you get more bang for your buck with better quality foods such as homemade.

OR at least in my experience...I'm hungry within an hour of eating a Happy Meal and then I'm annoyed that I used up so many calories only to get hungry sooner because of the lack of nutrition.

Does that make sense? It can be done...but you might feel hungrier.
  • pennyllayne
    pennyllayne Posts: 265
    Options
    In losing weight and looking better, could I still eat the same calories that I am eating now (1590) with Mcdonald's and still get the same results as eating extremely healthy?

Sometimes I wonder whether this is my problem or not. I drink a lot of water, I eat over my calorie goal but that's because I don't log my exercise minutes and I workout 5-6 days a week for 2 hours or more. Granted, I have a lot of muscle to begin with because I am an athlete and I only have about 20 pounds to lose. I am currently 5'6'' and 150 pounds and my goal is 135.

My problem is that I eat a lot of sugar. Sugar is basically an addiction for me, I have to have something sugary at least once or twice or thrice a day but is it ok to eat a lot sugary things as long as it's under your calorie limit?

I think my diary is open to the public so if anybody would like to look at it and give me some suggestions, please do.

What you eat definitely matters. Even if you're under your calorie goal, eating high amounts of omega 6 fats and no omega 3s is going to cause inflammation in your body and contribute to heart disease. Refined carbohydrates and trans fats also contribute to heart disease and are nutritionally deficient. How can you expect your body to lose the same amount of weight on a nutrionally deficient, pro-inflammatory diet as you would on a nutrionally dense whole foods diet? How will your body be able to work efficiently and burn off fat if it has to spend so much time clearing toxins from your body? And what if you become constipated? Sugar is far more than just empty calories - it wreaks havoc with the body and causes internal fat called visceral fat. Sugar addiction is common and I have problems with sugar too, I had to cut it out completely and now I don't crave it anymore.

I'm sorry if this is not what you want to hear but it is the truth that many people don't want to face. As much as people want to believe it's all just about calories, not all calories are created equal and if your body is malnourished and wracked with toxins it can't efficiently burn fat. We are not machines. Fat loss is not only about calories but hormones and lifestyle too.
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options

What you eat definitely matters. Even if you're under your calorie goal, eating high amounts of omega 6 fats and no omega 3s is going to cause inflammation in your body and contribute to heart disease. Refined carbohydrates and trans fats also contribute to heart disease and are nutritionally deficient. How can you expect your body to lose the same amount of weight on a nutrionally deficient, pro-inflammatory diet as you would on a nutrionally dense whole foods diet? How will your body be able to work efficiently and burn off fat if it has to spend so much time clearing toxins from your body? And what if you become constipated? Sugar is far more than just empty calories - it wreaks havoc with the body and causes internal fat called visceral fat. Sugar addiction is common and I have problems with sugar too, I had to cut it out completely and now I don't crave it anymore.

I'm sorry if this is not what you want to hear but it is the truth that many people don't want to face. As much as people want to believe it's all just about calories, not all calories are created equal and if your body is malnourished and wracked with toxins it can't efficiently burn fat.

if you goal is weight loss no it doesn't matter

If you are concerned with health and fitness yes it does.
  • pennyllayne
    Options
    If your goal is weight loss alone you're missing the point. You can become anorexic eating a burger a day and working out for 2 hours, but that isn't what ANYONE trying to achieve weight loss should be focusing on. And if you stress your body out by giving it junk and not enough fuel you then get a hormone called cortisol that steps in and guess what it does? Signals the body to store fat!
  • Wtn_Gurl
    Wtn_Gurl Posts: 396 Member
    Options
    I'd try to work on conquering that sugar addiction.

food should be fuel for the body. If your eating crap food, you will turn into crap. I dont think someone trying to work out and build muscle would want to fuel their body with crap food.

I am sure if you tried, you could conquer it, after all, your working out, and that takes discipline. I bet you could conquer your sugar addiction, but you think you cant. but I think you can.
  • tink11464
    tink11464 Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    I have lost all of my weight eating out - I haven't cooked in 10+ yrs. Of course I stick within my macros as to what I choose - but it can be anywhere from a salad to a double cheeseburger to mac and cheese. 85lbs gone eating what I want :)
  • hill8570
    hill8570 Posts: 1,466 Member
    Options

I definitely have body fat that I do need to cut off, but I know that there's also a lot of muscle in my body. I'm kind of worried that I might be losing just as much muscle as fat as well. My BMI is slightly under overweight, and my TDEE is around 2100 calories and it says I should be eating around 1700 for fat loss. Maybe I shouldn't be going over my calorie limits.

And a net deficit of 400 calories is less than a pound a week, so going over that 1700 calories (either intentionally, or due to underestimating your portion size) on a regular basis is going result in very slow (or no) weight loss.

If you're doing whole body workouts (rotating between arms / legs / core / etc. throughout the week) and eating a decent amount of protein, you're unlikely to be losing much muscle mass. It's the folks who just cut calories and don't exercise who are at risk of wasting muscles.

As a possessor of a serious sweet tooth myself (I'd be perfectly happy eating jellybeans for breakfast), I can sympathize. However, you also need to leave room for food that is a bit more nutrient-dense. Keep your sweet tooth happy, but don't let it rule your world.

Keep up the good work!
  • SugaryLynx
    SugaryLynx Posts: 2,640 Member
    Options
    1500 calories per day of fast food and baked goods will allow you to lose just as much weight as 1500 calories per day of lean protein, vegetables, etc. However, your body needs various macro and micronutrients for optimal health, so if your diet is lacking those you won't be as healthy as you could be. Unless you have a medical condition like diabetes or celiac disease, the type of food you eat won't affect your weight loss. It may affect your energy levels, fitness, and overall wellness, but it won't stop you losing weight.

ETA: I looked at your diary, and you are often over your calorie goal. That is where the blame will lie for not losing what you should, not what you're eating. If you weigh and measure all your food diligently and stay under your calorie goal every single day, you'll lose no problem.

^this 100%
  • lilaak007
    lilaak007 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    I am new on this site, can anyone tell me what TDEE is?
  • SugaryLynx
    SugaryLynx Posts: 2,640 Member
    Options
    I am new on this site, can anyone tell me what TDEE is?

Total daily energy expenditure. It's basically a calculation of everything you do throughout your day, including exercise. So that method you would not add exercise to your diary and you'd consistently eat that amount, irregardless.
  • sokkache
    Options
    Thanks so much for the advice everyone. Now I will do my best not to go over my calorie goals. I believe that is probably the reason why I'm stalling.
  • Wtn_Gurl
    Wtn_Gurl Posts: 396 Member
    Options
    I dont know about you, but this week when i made everything home made, the weight started going down quicker. Maybe its something a little bit you are doing that is stalling you. or it could be your body is just adjusting itself.
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    If your goal is weight loss alone you're missing the point. You can become anorexic eating a burger a day and working out for 2 hours, but that isn't what ANYONE trying to achieve weight loss should be focusing on. And if you stress your body out by giving it junk and not enough fuel you then get a hormone called cortisol that steps in and guess what it does? Signals the body to store fat!

I didn't see anywhere in this thread about a burger a day and working out for 2 hours...

As for what "we" should be focusing on it is a personal choice and you don't get to decide for us.

You missed the point, which is CICO for weight loss...

macros/food choices and exercise for Health and fitness but that is not what was asked...the above point was.
  • pennyllayne
    Options

I didn't see anywhere in this thread about a burger a day and working out for 2 hours...

As for what "we" should be focusing on it is a personal choice and you don't get to decide for us.

You missed the point, which is CICO for weight loss...

macros/food choices and exercise for Health and fitness but that is not what was asked...the above point was.

I was giving an example of how you can lose weight eating junk food by starving because your body will eventually have no option to lose fat if you do it for long enough. As I've said to your before, you are welcome to keep your limiting view that calories are all that matter because you obviously want to ignore science and the fact that weight loss has been shown to be mutli factorial for a good chunk of people. It's been shown time and time again that when hormones are out of balance someone will not lose nearly as much weight as someone whose hormones are. You don't understand the complicated process that goes on inside our bodies and choose to believe we are machines, that's fine. Maybe one day if you reach a stall in your weight loss you will start wondering why and will open your eyes more. But I'm not here to offer advice that many people have to pay to get to people who can't appreciate it. Take it or leave it but don't behave as though you are some sort of authority on weight loss.

I just gave an example of how the body can store fat even in a deficit if cortisol is raised and you chose to ignore it and make some silly remark.