going raw?

Options

Replies

• Rocbola
    Rocbola Posts: 1,998 Member
    Options
    I'm thinking about going raw soon. I was a vegetarian for 2 1/2 years and I think I'm ready to take the next step! In going to do it for 14days and see how I feel overall and if it's something I can stick to. Any suggestions, advice or anyone else who wants to try is welcome:)
    I think giving it a try is the best thing you can do. Good luck, and let everyone around here know how awesome you feel after the 14 days.
  • RaggedyAnnazon
    RaggedyAnnazon Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    I think going raw is a wonderful idea, our bodies really are made to handle food like that. Although we've been cooking it for thousands of years, what were we doing before that? Oh yea, eating it raw. Do what feels right for you girl! A lot of these people are just trolling, and some are just not open minded enough to look at it from a different standpoint. Science is on your side - go!
  • letivallejo
    letivallejo Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    Sunday would be perfect!!! I'm down :):)
  • mockchoc
    mockchoc Posts: 6,573 Member
    Options
    Cooking food does not kill people. That is all I can say
  • samamps88
    samamps88 Posts: 52
    Options
    Ok confused.

Who said that raw has to be under 118 degrees?

The dictionary definition of raw is 'food, Uncooked' the definition of cooking is 'the process of combining foods or ingredients and heating'

Therefore raw by definition means not tampering with the food.

So what you are reffering to is the partially cooked diet. Its a bit like saying you re going vegetarian but allowed to eat bacon

So in essence it is actually a fad diet dreamt up by someone (yes someone will have had to define it in the beginningt to set the paramemeters.)

I am not saying dont do it or that I have strong opinions on whether it is worth it or not what people choose to do ia their own choice. But dont delude yourself, just like atkins or IF or whatever other ideas are out there it ws dreamt up originally to sell one guys view on how food should be eaten and probably to sell a book or two!
  • Kingeight
    Kingeight Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    I think going raw is a wonderful idea, our bodies really are made to handle food like that. Although we've been cooking it for thousands of years, what were we doing before that? Oh yea, eating it raw. Do what feels right for you girl! A lot of these people are just trolling, and some are just not open minded enough to look at it from a different standpoint. Science is on your side - go!

What science? Some foods provide more nutrition cooked and other provide more when uncooked. Cooking breaks down the cell walls on some food making it easier for our bodies to break down.

http://www.bbcgoodfood.com/howto/guide/raw-vs-cooked
  • Reddon666
    Reddon666 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Are you scared of food or hate food or your body so much that you would want to live like like that forever? Why? That's no fun. That is suffering. Don't worry I've been down a similar road and turned a corner. Try to find a nice balance.

As someone who struggles with a legitimate eating disorder and who is also a nutritionist, the obsession with calling everything unorthodox on this forum horrific and suffering pisses me off greater than anything else.
  • snazzyjazzy21
    snazzyjazzy21 Posts: 1,298 Member
    Options
    Ok confused.

Apparently if you cook it over 118f, you start to kill the enzymes?

"Heating food above 118 degrees F. causes the chemical changes that create acidic toxins, including the carcinogens, mutagens and free-radicals associated with diseases like diabetes, arthritis, heart disease and cancer. Cooking also destroys the live enzymes that aid in digestion and health." - www.rawfoodlife.com
  • jakeya16
    jakeya16 Posts: 40
    Options
    I think a lot of people are confused as to what a raw diet consist of: there is no eating raw meat! Lol I see how that can be confusing but that's not it:) the 5%-20% of non raw food you eat could be meat but it doesn't have to be.
  • jakeya16
    Options
    I respect everyone's opinion here and I understand how it can be difficult to understand something unorthodox. I never thought I'd be able to survive without meat but hey, it happened and I felt great! If you call this a fad diet then you must consider veganism, vegetarianism, gluten free, diabetic, etc. To be fad diets because as you said were created by someone who had to 'create the parameters' for the diet.
    I've done my research and I know it's safe and healthy and I think that's good enough for me:)
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    Are you scared of food or hate food or your body so much that you would want to live like like that forever? Why? That's no fun. That is suffering. Don't worry I've been down a similar road and turned a corner. Try to find a nice balance.
    I love my body to pieces. In fact I love myself and my body enough to fuel it with whole healthy foods! It's not suffering in my opinion, it's not that different from vegetarianism and I've done that for almost two years. Living raw is not necessarily what people think. In my case my diet would consist of 80-95% 'raw' food. And 'raw' doesn't necessarily mean uncooked just not cooked above 118°f.

The problem is that it is very hard to get enough protein when you are a raw vegetarian. Have you researched what you can and cannot eat if you go raw and get your nutrients?

I am not sure why you cannot fuel your body with whole healthy foods that are cooked. What is the purpose of not cooking your food (to above the 118f)?
  • Sarauk2sf
    Options
    Ok confused.

Apparently if you cook it over 118f, you start to kill the enzymes?

"Heating food above 118 degrees F. causes the chemical changes that create acidic toxins, including the carcinogens, mutagens and free-radicals associated with diseases like diabetes, arthritis, heart disease and cancer. Cooking also destroys the live enzymes that aid in digestion and health." - www.rawfoodlife.com

Would love to see actual studies that show this.
  • SunofaBeach14
    SunofaBeach14 Posts: 4,932 Member
    Options
    Have you ever noticed the change in color or texture when you cook food? That my friends is the nutrients slipping away!! Going raw isn't a fad it's a way of life just like vegetarianism or veganism. It's definitely not for everybody you have to be focused and have willpower. And you have to do it for the right reasons. If course you will lose weight going from a mostly processed food diet to majority whole foods, but you shouldn't make the transition for weight loss. Do it for your body, longevity, the increase of energy, the better nights sleep. Food should thought of as fuel for the body not comfort!!

LMFAO

Where do people come up with this BS?
  • Myhaloslipped
    Myhaloslipped Posts: 4,317 Member
    Options
    For my newsfeed. :smile:
  • SunofaBeach14
    SunofaBeach14 Posts: 4,932 Member
    Options
    If this topic attracts you then you may also want to read this

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1229717-orthorexia-nervosa-the-new-eating-disorder
  • eric_sg61
    eric_sg61 Posts: 2,925 Member
    Options
    Have you ever noticed the change in color or texture when you cook food? That my friends is the nutrients slipping away!! Going raw isn't a fad it's a way of life just like vegetarianism or veganism. It's definitely not for everybody you have to be focused and have willpower. And you have to do it for the right reasons. If course you will lose weight going from a mostly processed food diet to majority whole foods, but you shouldn't make the transition for weight loss. Do it for your body, longevity, the increase of energy, the better nights sleep. Food should thought of as fuel for the body not comfort!!

LMFAO

Where do people come up with this BS?
    I blame YouTube gurus
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kvAHVh0ZX50
  • jakeya16
    Options
    I have researched what is and is not considered raw. Protein is not a problem, nuts, natural nut butters, legumes, grains, mushrooms, sprouted beans, lentils...
  • FredDoyle
    FredDoyle Posts: 2,273 Member
    Options
    I have researched what is and is not considered raw. Protein is not a problem, nuts, natural nut butters, legumes, grains, mushrooms, sprouted beans, lentils...
    Raw grains and lentils? Have fun.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Options

Pretty high in fats or carbs. Also, you will need to be careful to get a good mix as none of those are complete proteins on their own.

Also, lentils can be cooked properly at less than 118f?
  • _Terrapin_
    _Terrapin_ Posts: 4,302 Member
    Options
    I vote for Sara to go raw....wait.....what was the question? Raw has many meanings.....