Help a beginner out please?

Options
Hi :) I'm currently doing the 30 Day Shred by Jillian Michaels in order to give me a quick burst in my fitness levels, but once I finish level 3 I want to do something more long-term which will help me reach my goals of losing a few pounds and replacing it with muscle. The thing is, I am a complete beginner and have no idea where to start!

I hear people talking about having 'Leg Days', 'Ab Days', etc and think that that sounds like a good idea, though I don't know where to start - what exercises to use, how many reps, how to increase this week by week. I was hoping some of you inspirational people out there could give me a hand in planning a workout routine?

The only problem is that I'm currently at university and don't have a gym here, so have only been able to exercise from home - oh, and I've been using bottled water instead of dumbbells/weights as our accommodation prohibits exercise equipment.

Any help/advice would be greatly appreciated

Lauren :)

Replies

• AJ_G
    AJ_G Posts: 4,158 Member
    Options
    It's going to be difficult to start a lifting program at home without any equipment. I was going to suggest a program like Stronglifts 5x5, but that's almost impossible to do without access to a gym. Your university doesn't have a gym or fitness center that you have access to?
  • HealthyAndFitFor2014
    Options
    It's going to be difficult to start a lifting program at home without any equipment. I was going to suggest a program like Stronglifts 5x5, but that's almost impossible to do without access to a gym. Your university doesn't have a gym or fitness center that you have access to?

None that I can afford unfortunately. I've been looking for exercises which rely on using your own bodyweight, but as I said I don't really know how to plan a routine... I will have access to a gym when I go home for the summer, but I'm not sure when that will be yet
  • JenniCali1000
    JenniCali1000 Posts: 646 Member
    Options
    Do you enjoy doing Jillian's workouts? If so, she's got a ton of other options out there. If you can't afford to buy the DVDs, I've heard they are all on YouTube. I can personally testify that Killer Abs, Killer Buns and Thighs, Hard Body, and Extreme Shed and Shred are all awesome, kick-*kitten* workouts. They're not easy by any means, but then again, would you expect any less from Jillian? ;)
  • RaggedyAnnazon
    RaggedyAnnazon Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    Man uncool with the no exercise equiptment AND no gym. So sorry : (

Usually, if you can access any gym. The idea is to do either two-three days a week nonconsecutivly as whole body workouts or 4-6 days a week alternating body parts. I sometimes do one on one week and one on another. Probably bad, but I'm lucky to get anything in with my schedual.

Idk if this has changed, but usually with what weight to start at is whatever makes your muscles feel slightly fatigued at 12 reps. Usually I've heard 12 reps 3 times. So 3 sets of 12. But everyones different. It's a good place to start though.

As for when to increase, you'll know. Just today I got on the leg press and was like "you know, 130lbs isn't doing for me anymore, let's see what 150lbs gets me." And ta-da, I'm at a new weight limit. A lot of it is listening to your body.

ALSO, if anyone remembers please recommend those weight lifting books I keep hearing so much about. I'd have to look on my previous threads to remember the titles, but I got to see some pages and they look awesome!

Also Also: When I was first a real noob noob, I used resistance bands. So if you can't do weights just yet, don't feel discouraged. Plus, you might be able to get away with a resistance band at your school.
  • xsmilexforxmex
    xsmilexforxmex Posts: 1,216 Member
    Options
    nerdfitness.com has a great body weight excercise program
  • ak10388
    ak10388 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    Beach Body - Body Beast! It's an amazing workout DVD that will gives you the results you're looking for (it's what I want too). But you will need access to a good set of weights. :)
  • ak10388
    Options
    If you have access to a Decathlon like store, you can buy weights online and use them at uni.
  • skittlesnhoney
    skittlesnhoney Posts: 651 Member
    Options
    Could you have an app on your cell phone? I've been hearing great things about an app called "you are your own gym" and it's only $2.99 for the app. It uses body weight and I believe sets out a clear cut program for you. Hope that helps!
  • BelindaComedy
    BelindaComedy Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Can you have resistance bands? Those are portable and I've had a good time with them.
  • kdeaux1959
    kdeaux1959 Posts: 2,675 Member
    Options
    Double check with the HPER department @ your University. Many times, they will open their weight room for students... Would be worth a try. There are a lot of other options as well though. You have already been using bottled water as a resistance tool... Use of common items can often substitute... Use body weight exercises such as dips off the side of a chair... You can run, pushups, sit ups, etc. Best wishes on your every success.
  • ak10388
    Options
    You could also try Focus T25.. it's a great programme, at least for me, and doesn't involve weights :)