which is correct

Hi, which is correct here; I rode 8 miles today in 54 minits and my mobile App myfitnesspal recorded burning One Thousand and 5 calories yet when programmed into myfitnesspal on the laptop it says i only burned 500

Replies

• Sunshine2plus2
    Sunshine2plus2 Posts: 1,492 Member
    I would go with the less just so you dont set yourself up to overeating thinking you had 500 extra calories!
  • nhitchner
    nhitchner Posts: 27 Member
    Did you pick the exact same recording selection with the app and laptop. It could be you used two different ones, the one being more aggressive than the other.

But me personally if I get something that has less for calorie burn I normally go with that choice, if it isn't too extreme and is understandable.
  • Hi, Erm the laptop has slightly differant scenario about the cycling its calculations given on my pc, i would love to go off my mobile version of myfitnesspal App, The reason being it is GPS so as i cycle along its tracking me and clocks the Calories, ,it does sound to good to be true in a way , if i did a cycle ride for 4 hours at a steady normal pace then going off my phone thats 3500 cals burned i could lose 7lbs in a week with the right food aswel. i might try running tomorrow same distance same route it probly give a differant reading but it will keep me fit anyway , Thanks for your reply much appreciated.:smile:
  • editorgrrl
    editorgrrl Posts: 7,060 Member
    All of the calorie burns are just estimates. Many people reduce the margin of error by eating back half their exercise calories.

The only way to prove which one is correct is to trust one for a few weeks, then reevaluate. If you don't lose, then eat back half your exercise calories for another few weeks.

Read this: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1080242-a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants