looking for 400 calorie meals

Options
Hello, my name is Robin. I am new to fitness pal, it looks great but I am still learning all the things it can do. I have been trying to lose weight and exercise for a healthier me for 3 and a half months. i have not had much luck, I have been a real rollcoaster as far as my weight loss and gains. When I have a gain, I totally lose my focus and over eat. I am exercising good, it is my calorie area that I am messing up. I am so excited that this site will help me so much. I am looking for some help with meals that make up 400 calories they can be breakfast, lunch, dinner or a snack. I know this site will help me figure 400 calories out just looking for some ideas as well.
Thanks for any help!!

Replies

• RushinBruisette
    RushinBruisette Posts: 2,109 Member
    Options
    Hi and welcome!! Here's a site to get you started: http://400caloriesorless.com/
  • KathrynK95
    Options
    I eat a cup of Special K cereal with a cup of Milk every morning and this keeps me full through lunch and is only around 250 calories
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,986 Member
    Options
    :drinker: 4 ounces of grilled chicken breast or fish plus a ton of vegetables (steamed, with no butter or sauce) like broccoli, cauliflower, green beans will come in around 400 calories and fill you up.
    :bigsmile: :bigsmile: :bigsmile:
  • msdjsmith95
    Options
    Try the Betty Crocker 300 Calorie Cookbook:
    http://www.amazon.com/Betty-Crocker-300-Calorie-Cookbook/dp/0470080590/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1292634821&sr=8-1
    There are a lot of tasty meals in it!
  • jessecobra
    Options
    1 large slice of papa johns pizza.

i usually have 3 at a time, 1200 calories. but still under my daily calorie intake.
  • NoAdditives
    NoAdditives Posts: 4,251 Member
    Options
    1 large slice of papa johns pizza.

i usually have 3 at a time, 1200 calories. but still under my daily calorie intake.

Yeah, but it has way more fat and sodium than you need. Papa Murphy's deLite pizzas are much, much better! Two slices of the garlic chicken pizza are only 340 calories. You can add some salad to it and depending on the dressing it will be just over 400 calories.
  • Amylynn
    Amylynn Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    For breakfast I eat this:

1 egg
    1/2 slice american cheese
    english muffin
    1 sausage patty
    I can't believe it's not butter spray (0 calories)

=250 calories

Or

1 Dannon light & fit yogurt
    1/2 c. Kellogs Granola
    Piece fruit

=350 calories (appx)

Or

Quaker Oats weight control Oatmeal
    Piece fruit

=250 calories

I find it's more about getting your portion sizes under control than it is about finding meals w/certain number of calories per serving.
  • Rocking_Robin
    Rocking_Robin Posts: 238 Member
    Options
    All great suggestions!! Keep them coming!!! Thanks again!
  • jessecobra
    Options
    it's not really more fat and sodium than you need depending on your weekly diet. i eat fast food once a week for dinner usually on Wednesday nights . 3 slices of pizza or a Double Quarter Pounder a week isnt going to do anything. eating fast foods onces per week is still doing better than 90% of Americans who eat out several times a week and over eat their calorie intake by thousands per day.

My Doctor took my blood work 2 months ago during a check up and im perfectly healthy internally. ive dropped 37 pounds in 5 months trying to make my body look healthy lol. ive eaten fast foods once per week for 5 months with no set backs. most people on diets really go overboard. you gotta be able to relax and not go overboard with your diet. your body would love a high dosage of fats,calories and carbs at least once per week. it helps break up the pattern in your diet.
  • mariasheehan
    Options
    try www.hungrygirl.com for more tips, tricks, recipes etc :-)
  • danmasu
    Options
    It's more- I find- than just eating 400 calorie meals... it's eating six or seven meals a day.

For example. I'll eat a serving of Honeynut Cheerios with skim milk for breakfast with a half of banana. Two hours later, I'll eat a snack that is between 75 and 150 calories such as reduced fat Wheat Thins, a Dole pineapple fruit cup, a cheese stick, a banana, a hard boiled egg- you name it.

Two hours later, I'll eat a lunch that is no more than 300 calories. A peanut butter and jelly sandwhich (only one tablespoon of peanut butter) and a glass of skim milk, or more cereal, or oatmeal. But you could just as easily do a 4 oz serving of grilled chicken or steak with a salad made up of lots of greens, tomatoes, cucumbers and olive oil and vinegar- no croutons or such!

Two hours later, I'll repeat my snack of 75-150 calories. Then two hours later I'll eat dinner, and two hours later, I'll have a snack.

My wife and I do the Leslie Sansone 4 mile walking DVDs (several for variety) each night.

That's what really has worked for me. I lost 25 pounds that way, got derailed and put back on 15, and now I'm back working it off. Hope that helps some.
  • Amylynn
    Amylynn Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    At my job, I'm lucky if I get a 20 min lunch break a day (and two of my days/week are 12 hr shifts), so eating 6 meals a day is absolutely out of the question. Sounds nice though.

That's why I've always wondered if it matters how many calories you eat per meal? If I stay under my allotted calories for the day but am eating 500-700 calorie meals, will I still lose weight at the same pace?
  • Rocking_Robin
    Rocking_Robin Posts: 238 Member
    Options
    Danmasu* - Awesome!! Congrats on your weight loss!!
    This site gives me so much hope to get going!! I go to the gym 5-6 days a week, I work out at least 2 hours, when I plugged in my meals yesterday I was reminded that I have to eat the calories I burn at the gym....totally forgot about that.!!! So there I was eating and not even hungry.
    My husband is very supportive but he can not be active with me, David has MS and is in a wheelchair. I stink at putting myself first, but I am worling at it. Thanks for the thoughts!!
  • Dafrog
    Dafrog Posts: 353
    Options
    portion control is the key factor. peanut butter on whole wheat, homemade veggie soup, beans, there are so many possibilities. remember sodium plays a major part in weight loss, so keep an eye on it. good luck.