Whole food, vegetable based diet

Options
For those of you who do not know, a whole-food, plant-based diet eliminated:
-processed sugar
-oils
-artificial sweeteners
-meat and poultry products including dairy and eggs

I am still a fashionista with major love for my leather jackets and boots...so I am not necessarily vegan and even though I am glad I will lessen my carbon foot print on the planet and my body will no longer be a tomb for other species, my main concern is health and reduction of potential heart disease, diabetes and cancer.

So after watching Forks Over Knives and reading research papers at school ( I am a medical student) I am convinced and I have started my journey a day and half ago. Is anyone else on a similar diet? So far I seem to be getting all the protein I need, my only cheat is an 8oz glass of skim milk in the morning. I have never been as full as I am now on a diet (or have had as many bowel movements a day, but I read that will get more regular within few days) I am posting some of my foods on instagram (username: CaspialDoll)

I am very excited so I would appreciate to keep the negativity away from my post but I welcome all opinions especially if you site a randomized controlled trial studies with a statistically significant results.

Thank you <3

Replies

• nomeejerome
    nomeejerome Posts: 2,616 Member
    Options
    :huh:
  • catdoc1
    catdoc1 Posts: 227 Member
    Options
    Hi, I watched FOK 2.5 years ago and have been vegan since. I missed cheese for a little bit (no longer) and spent about 6 weeks staring into the frig each night, trying to figure out what to cook, but it's all so much easier now. Travelling was a little hard at first, but I've got that down now too, but still learning of new things every day. Getting new cookbooks really helped, and being whole food vegan does require more cooking. No I cook ahead, double recipes, and put the other one in the freezer.

I'm a veterinarian and practice owner with young children, so my go-to-I'm-slammed at work food that I keep in the freezer at work for "those days" are vegan organic enchiladas from Trader Joes, and I keep some low-sodium Trader Joes blackbean soup and some Amy's soups in my desk drawer. You might also friend RachelMuscle (look at my friend list). She's a vegan 4th-year med student. I have a wonderful collection of cookbooks now and can recommend some if you like. I'd be happy to be a sounding board if you need it. I'm just getting back here after a nutty winter where I decide to change over the practice over to electronic medical records (from paper charts), my associate was on maternity leave, and I fell causing a compound open tib fib fracture. Never went off vegan, but found nuts as a "stress reliever" and no exercise - not good!

Oh, and you need the Purple Cow app on your phone. Check it out.

Best of luck to you. You've started an amazing journey and I'm happy to be on the same path with you. You will take some crap for your decision some days, but we are the future and you're going to do so much for your patients. Hippocrates: "Let food be they medicine." You go girl!

Laura
  • DrCaspianDoll
    DrCaspianDoll Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    Thank you so much! I feel like on days I feel less motivated all I need to do is read your response, you are truly inspirational and I will look into all of your suggestions! I am glad you are back and you are recovering from the crazy winter and I am here
  • kgeyser
    kgeyser Posts: 22,505 Member
    Options

+ :huh:
  • AwesomeGuy37
    AwesomeGuy37 Posts: 436 Member
    Options

++:huh: :huh:
  • catdoc1
    catdoc1 Posts: 227 Member
    Options
    Thank you. I need inspiration as well. Please friend me if you like, and Rachel too.
  • hatterasclayer
    hatterasclayer Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I too follow a mostly vegan diet; I too saw Forks Over Knives and a lightbulb went off. I was sure my husband ( meat and potatoes man) wouldn't go for it, but he agreed to watch and was convinced too! I think it's been 3 years. Now we have a nes favorite go to dishes when cook cook at home which is most of the time.

Dining out is the biggest challenger as most places don't offer a truly vegan meal, but I do my best. Cheese was the toughest for me to give up, so now it's one of those only when I'm out foods.

Never heard of the purple cow, but I will check it out!
  • TX_Rhon
    TX_Rhon Posts: 1,549 Member
    Options
    In for the "whole food" definitions.

Processed foods were not on the list. Interesting. Do you get your fat from avocados and nuts?
  • andylowry
    andylowry Posts: 89
    Options
    Oils? What's wrong with oils?
  • DrCaspianDoll
    Options
    yes, I get the fat from avocado and nuts, we truly don't need that much!
  • DrCaspianDoll
    Options
    Thank you. I need inspiration as well. Please friend me if you like, and Rachel too.

I am excited to be friends and reciprocate support! I was unable to find the purple cow app
  • Kara52217
    Kara52217 Posts: 353 Member
    Options
    We watched FOK about 2 years ago.. Hubby instantly went Vegan as did I but then I got pregnant and being new to Vegan I went back to eating meat because I wasn't knowledgable enough to know how to eat to get everything for the baby in.

I am now Vegetarian because I REALLY struggle with Cheese and Eggs. But I am working on it.

HAPPY HERBIVORE is a GREAT Starting Resource for recipies. I made Cinnamon Rolls this morning.
    http://happyherbivore.com/recipe/cinnamon-buns/

Feel free to add me if you would like.
  • DancingMoosie
    DancingMoosie Posts: 8,613 Member
    Options
    I'm confused. Your diary says you drink skim milk.
  • hatterasclayer
    hatterasclayer Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I couldn't find the purple cow app either
  • Bibianna2012
    Bibianna2012 Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    bump for later! Good luck with your vegan diet! Im trying to incorporate a FOK based diet.
  • DrCaspianDoll
    Options
    I'm confused. Your diary says you drink skim milk.

As does my thread
  • HeatherHoskins
    HeatherHoskins Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    I have recently stumbled on to the whole 30 and really want to give a go. The idea of taking away the processed and sugared foods sounds so great to me. My problem is that I do not know how to cook and live that way and it scares me a little to try. Hearing that you get you get used to not eating things like cheese gives me hope that I can do this. Thanks for the motivation.
  • asdowe13
    asdowe13 Posts: 1,951 Member
    Options

++:huh: :huh:

+++:huh: :huh: :huh:
  • esmesqualor
    esmesqualor Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    I have been a vegetarian in the past, but never vegan. I am currently dealing with my personal, internal conflict over giving up meat- it has only to do with having gained quite a bit of weight while eating veg in the past. I just blogged about this last night and am very inspired to try again now that have read your post. I am not a big meat eater, but I do eat local, small farmed eggs several days a week which I don't think I can give up right away (they are my "glass of skim milk"!). I am lucky to live in the sf bay area where this is not considered a strange way of eating and there are many vegan restaurants.
    Thanks for the inspiration!
  • DrCaspianDoll
    Options
    I have been a vegetarian in the past, but never vegan. I am currently dealing with my personal, internal conflict over giving up meat- it has only to do with having gained quite a bit of weight while eating veg in the past. I just blogged about this last night and am very inspired to try again now that have read your post. I am not a big meat eater, but I do eat local, small farmed eggs several days a week which I don't think I can give up right away (they are my "glass of skim milk"!). I am lucky to live in the sf bay area where this is not considered a strange way of eating and there are many vegan restaurants.
    Thanks for the inspiration!

That's really awesome, I'm glad you are re-inspired! Local grown sounds amazingggg, and hopefully after I graduate med school I can dab more into that. My "glass of skim milk" is just too cute, I love it, it will be the next trending topic haha!