How come I only lost 1 lb?

Options
I don't understand the past month ive lost 16 pounds it was 9 the first week I started and then like 2-3 pounds a week and that was without working out, now this past week ive been exercising and working out and I only lost a fricken pound, im really bummed about it. I wanna lose more then 1 pound even 2 pounds a week, I willing to do what I need to do but what should I try and change to see bigger results? Im also a lot bigger so I thought the pounds would come off faster at first.

Replies

• curiology
    curiology Posts: 15
    Options
    when you are overweight by a large amount, the first couple of weeks that you change your habits is when you see the most loss. A lot of it is water weight and your body adjusting. Now it has adjusted it will slow down, but a loss is still a loss. Keep at it you might see a bigger loss next week. There are so many factors that can alter the rate of weight loss it's hard to tell what works for you and what doesn't after only a few weeks
  • gypsy_spirit
    gypsy_spirit Posts: 2,107 Member
    Options
    Weight loss is never linear. It's taken me 2 years to lose a little over 100 pounds. We all have a week here and there where you don't lose as much - if at all. Also, adding exercise into the mix can cause you to have water retention as muscles repair - especially if you've never been really active.

Are you weighing (with a food scale) and measuring every bite of food that goes in? Make sure your logging is as tight as it can be. Don't overestimate your exercise calories. Eat enough protein to keep you from feeling too hungry.

Most importantly? Have a lot of patience.
  • knra_grl
    knra_grl Posts: 1,568 Member
    Options
    It will come, don't try to rush it. If you just started working out you will retain a bit of water until your body adjusts to the changes you are making. Be patient. Big losses the first couple weeks are normal and you should now settle to a slower and steady loss. Some weeks you might not lose anything but don't let that affect your progress. Just remember that you didn't gain the weight overnight. It took me over 16 years to gain this extra weight I am carrying and in 3 short months I have lost 21 lbs.

You are doing great, keep it up!
  • missdibs1
    missdibs1 Posts: 1,092 Member
    Options
    Yes! Whatthey say is true You will see ups and downs but if you look at the trend it should be, overall, slowly down Dont set yourself up for failure by high expectations It took me over two years to drop 80 plus pounds
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member
    Options
    weight loss isn't linear

Screen-shot-2011-10-04-at-7.55.30-PM.png
  • nikki13088
    Options
    Thanks guys I will keep all of this in mind
  • editorgrrl
    editorgrrl Posts: 7,060 Member
    Options
    weight loss isn't linear
    ^This.

Take photos & measurements too. Read this: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1080242-a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants
  • chele1028
    chele1028 Posts: 248 Member
    Options
    weight loss isn't linear

Exactly! Just don't give up! If I gave up each time the scale didn't budge, or had showed a gain, I would not have lost what I have so far. Keep with it, keep doing what you are doing and you will see results. Best wishes to you on your road to getting healthy! :smile:
  • victoria_1024
    victoria_1024 Posts: 915 Member
    Options
    The weeks with smaller losses can be discouraging. But it's definitely true that it's not linear! Some weeks I lose zero, the next week I lose 5. Logically I know this, but it can still be a bummer to see a low number! Keep it up!
  • grandmothercharlie
    grandmothercharlie Posts: 1,363 Member
    Options
    I'm sure you are doing all that you can, but, I noticed you didn't make you diary public. Do you make your diary public to your friends. It is a good way to be sure you keep honest. Since joining MFP, I often notice that those who complain about not losing enough admit that they aren't showing their diaries to anyone or they will admit that they aren't even logging. Or they admit they aren't trying any sort of exercise. Logging every bite and your exercise is probably the #1 tool to success. Letting others see it just makes you accountable. I show mine to my friends. They don't criticize, but they do give good feedback if asked and it keeps me honest knowing they can look.
  • sallyannnaidoo
    sallyannnaidoo Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I don't understand the past month ive lost 16 pounds it was 9 the first week I started and then like 2-3 pounds a week and that was without working out, now this past week ive been exercising and working out and I only lost a fricken pound, im really bummed about it. I wanna lose more then 1 pound even 2 pounds a week, I willing to do what I need to do but what should I try and change to see bigger results? Im also a lot bigger so I thought the pounds would come off faster at first.

Also remember you can be gaining muscle too :)
  • smanning1982
    smanning1982 Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    If you go from no exercise and start exercising your muscles retain water. The get little tears in them and fill with water to repair them so that is why the weigh more, once the water is lost you'll see a big loss one week. Keep it up!
  • jesserunsfree
    jesserunsfree Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    I started my original journey at 385 and started MFP at 352.2. I have found on this journey that you will loose weight, gain weight, loose weight small, loose weight big and when it happens it never ever makes since. At a year into my journey I have been shocked because I went thru a 6 week plateau and gain then drop down from the gain then fall off the plateau and have been loosing daily since then. It never makes since. What does is not giving up because you will loose the weight with the lifestyle changes. And you are doing an amazing job. If you need a friend to talk to. Always available.
  • Widadita
    Widadita Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    1 pound a week equals 4 pounds a month, which also equals 48 pounds in a year, so I have to say that is quite impressive if you can accomplish that. Just keep that in mind and keep up the good work. Never lose hope even if you see no changes on the scale for week or two. Never forget that.
  • hitsnooze
    hitsnooze Posts: 79
    Options
    a pound a week is good :) you've got rid of all the 'fake' weight ie the water weight, and now what you're losing is actual weight which is good. a pound a week is ideal, you're more likely to keep it off
  • atfirstblush
    atfirstblush Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    Don't get discouraged by the scale. You could be building up muscle and as others have said when you start an exercise program your body has to adjust. Just keep doing what you are doing. I only lost 1 pound this week and I've been running on the treadmill 3 miles a day, but I know I lost something because my clothes are getting baggy.
  • EllieB_5
    EllieB_5 Posts: 247 Member
    Options
    weight loss isn't linear

This, plus the person who said to take measurements. Sometimes measurements are the better way to determine how much *fat* you're losing, especially if you're building muscle. Also, make sure you're eating only whole foods. And by whole foods (you'd be surprised how many ppl have no clue what that really means) I mean the foods without an ingredients list, basically. It's astonishing how eating processed ready-meals and other food product can add-on/keep the fat. Cutting out the ready meals and junk foods are the only change my bf made and he is also losing weight.
  • potluck965
    potluck965 Posts: 529 Member
    Options
    Please don't get "Biggest Loser" syndrome.:wink: The timeline on their losses is not necessarily from week to week. You have done very well on the path to good sustainable weight loss. Don't get discouraged. This is never easy.

As long as you continue to follow a good plan, the weight will come off and in a way that will teach you how to keep it off by the time you get where you want to get.
  • Snow3y
    Snow3y Posts: 1,412 Member
    Options
    Can I see what your diary and workout logs look like please? :) I'd love to try help
  • Claremoak
    Claremoak Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    I found that focusing on the average pounds lost rather then the weekly helps. It is easy to get frustrated when you know that you have a really long journey to get to your goal and it seems like you aren't moving fast enough. I started THIS journey by not concentrating on how much i had to lose, but on making changes and creating habits that i could live with long term. Some weeks the weight comes off fast for no reason and then gains for no reason. The scale can be frustrating, but you need to focus on your small successes that are not related to how many pounds came off.