A not humble brag

Options
Awhile back, on another account, I posted a success story that eventually got locked and left troves of people debating and fighting amongst themselves. Why, you may ask? Because I lost 30 pounds in 3 months, at 5'3, with no exercise and no, I was not obese - I wasn't even overweight. I did it very dangerously with no nutrients or vitamins but instead the emptiest possible calorie around and only 600-800 of them, at that. I was so proud of my skinny little self, and said, "Forget you guys, I'll be thin forever! I can do this for the rest of my life, it's easy peasy!"

Then the holidays came. I decided that after all that time, I should reward myself! I ate about six burgers and fries from Checkers amongst other things, and the next morning I went from 106 to 125. WHAT? I figured it was just water weight and started my "diet" again, only to fall off and repeat several more times until I realized that I was back to where I started. I kept convincing myself that I could start eating crazy low amounts again and be back to where I was in a month. Two weeks ago, I finally got back on my starvation track. I lost a few pounds in a few days and started feeling irritable, cold, my hair began falling out again, I couldn't focus or think and I felt like death (and started to look like it, too) - it got to the point where I couldn't even really write or function. I just wanted to sit, watch TV, and sleep. The 10th or so day came, and I ate, and I ate a lot. I realized from some other posts that I may have been developing an eating disorder. I never wanted to be scary skinny (I'm very small framed, my 106 looks like a good 115-120). I would NEVER purposely throw up. So, how could I POSSIBLY have an ED? I LOVE FOOD....I digress.

When I was about 13, I was really heavy and seriously unhealthy. I started counting my calories and went from just under 200 pounds and 5'2 to 104 pounds, and I felt great, and ate more food than most people anyway. I figured if it worked then, it'll totally work now! So I downloaded my old software I used to use back then to track my calories (because I know it SO well), and I started eating 1,400 calories a day. That was a little too much for me and would trigger me off, and I ended up eating about 2,000 the next day. The day after my over indulgence, I recalculated my calorie goal and have been going strong since. It has only been 3 days, but I can't shut up about it at all. Like, everyone knows, and EVERYONE MUST KNOW. So here I am. I am surprised at how much food I can eat! I must have forgotten, because seriously, I feel like I'm eating all day and I feel GREAT. Look at how much food I had yesterday!! (I skip breakfast always, always have, it's just not my thing)

Lunch: 2 poptarts (Oh goodness they are heaven, I haven't had a poptart in YEARS. I got the strawberry one with the pretty sprinkles)

Dinner: Santa Fe Rice and Beans by Smartones, it has so much cheese and is so good <3 I put it over a bed of lettuce and made an awesome salad out of it!

Dinner-snack?: Two pieces of WHITE!! bread, 2 pieces of turkey, a piece of cheese, mustard and lettuce (I love lettuce)

Dinner-snack 2?: A serving of saltine crackers and a serving of pretzels

Dinner-snack 3 (Okay, I'm a night eater): An awesome mango-cherry-something slushie icepop!

I wasn't FULL, I'm learning to stop eating until I'm disgustingly "I'm gonna puke" full, and instead shoot for satisfied. I ate about 1,229 calories (I didn't count my coffee or various low calorie drinks throughout the day, but that was probably a good 50-100 extra).

So, three days, eating pretty much whatever my heart desires, AND feeling energized and HAPPY? I went from 126 to 123. Sure, it may be water weight, but that is some serious encouragement! I am totally re-sold on calories (and here I thought you guys were just being weird jerks looking for fights)! I'm just so excited because I know if I did my other starve-diet, I'd lose the weight, sure, and probably faster than I will now, and be back in my pretty clothes - but in a few months, I'd be back to square one. This time, I feel like I can do this forever, only seriously this time! I started looking at the calories for some of my favorite foods (Taco Bell) and was just astonished that YES I CAN EAT IT - no more day dreams of burritos! Bring it on, holidays!

BTW: This may not be like a real weight loss success story, but it's a big success for me to get back to the calories and doing it the right way. In a few months I'll post pics! ^_^

Replies

• Heirgreat
    Heirgreat Posts: 262 Member
    Options
    Being retrospective and learning and growing is all you can do as you get older you're going to realize that stuff is really really needed
  • Athena53
    Athena53 Posts: 717 Member
    Options
    Congratulations! I also eat frequently (but a lot is fruit and fresh veggies), indulge in empty calories (rarely, but I enjoy every bite), and am happy with my current weight. You can't keep up that starvation thing for long, as you discovered, without serious bad effects.
  • SymphonynSonata
    SymphonynSonata Posts: 533 Member
    Options
    Congratulations! I also eat frequently (but a lot is fruit and fresh veggies), indulge in empty calories (rarely, but I enjoy every bite), and am happy with my current weight. You can't keep up that starvation thing for long, as you discovered, without serious bad effects.

Yes! I'd rather lose gradual weight and perhaps not fit into all of my clothes but get there and STAY there, than continue the slinky thing! Plus food is too enjoyable to ward off forever! Omg, poptarts! How did I live without poptarts?!

ETA: I can't lie, I can't wait until my jeans fit again, but pajama pants are a comfortable inbetween. ESPECIALLY when coupled with poptarts.
  • marybowldseddington
    marybowldseddington Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    {"I never wanted to be scary skinny (I'm very small framed, my 106 looks like a good 115-120)."

Is this your current weight? If you are 5ft 2 inches then you do not need to loose weight.

BMI 19.5 is healthy. You want to exercise/lift weights for health that is great but not to loose weight.
  • SymphonynSonata
    Options
    {"I never wanted to be scary skinny (I'm very small framed, my 106 looks like a good 115-120)."

Is this your current weight? If you are 5ft 2 inches then you do not need to loose weight.

BMI 19.5 is healthy. You want to exercise/lift weights for health that is great but not to loose weight.

I'm 5'4, 123 pounds, now. :-) I want to be 106.

Oh, and I don't want to lift weights (yet, anyway). One step at a time!
  • Fuzzipeg
    Fuzzipeg Posts: 2,298 Member
    Options
    Life is one long learning curve. Well done you for sharing your experience with us, you could have got on with it quietly and in some corner. Make sure you stay in your right range and do not go under the recommended body fat percentage it is not good for young ladies, (I thought if I said girls, it would sound patronising)
  • MysteriousMerlin
    MysteriousMerlin Posts: 2,270 Member
    Options
    Even for a small frame, you should be more like 115 than 106, and that's on the low end.

i'm glad you've realized a healthy way to lose weight, but please seriously consider speaking with a nutritionist who can help you with meal planning.
  • SymphonynSonata
    Options
    Life is one long learning curve. Well done you for sharing your experience with us, you could have got on with it quietly and in some corner. Make sure you stay in your right range and do not go under the recommended body fat percentage it is not good for young ladies, (I thought if I said girls, it would sound patronising)

haha, it's okay! I am totally a girl.
    Even for a small frame, you should be more like 115 than 106, and that's on the low end.

I'll take pictures at both for deliberations! I hope you're right - I'll go down to 106 and have to gain 9 pounds. I am really good at gaining weight quickly! May I know why I should see a nutritionist? I feel that I am pretty well balanced. I eat a lot of fruits, vegetables, meats, cheese, fats, etc, but I also like to eat "junk" food - that was just a sample from one day. I don't eat like that daily. But poptarts will always be involved, and probably those popsicles, and probably saltine crackers and pretzels, and probably sandwiches and salads....so okay, I may eat like that everyday.
  • ShrinkinMel
    ShrinkinMel Posts: 982 Member
    Options
    pop tarts are disgusting well most of them. lol But great job getting the big picture. We are all learning and I believe each person has a different story and a different way to get there. No one way is the right way for all.
  • SymphonynSonata
    Options
    pop tarts are disgusting well most of them. lol But great job getting the big picture. We are all learning and I believe each person has a different story and a different way to get there. No one way is the right way for all.

I WILL EAT ALL OF THE POPTARTS FOR YOU. :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou:
  • MysteriousMerlin
    MysteriousMerlin Posts: 2,270 Member
    Options

I'll take pictures at both for deliberations! I hope you're right - I'll go down to 106 and have to gain 9 pounds. I am really good at gaining weight quickly! May I know why I should see a nutritionist? I feel that I am pretty well balanced. I eat a lot of fruits, vegetables, meats, cheese, fats, etc, but I also like to eat "junk" food - that was just a sample from one day. I don't eat like that daily. But poptarts will always be involved, and probably those popsicles, and probably saltine crackers and pretzels, and probably sandwiches and salads....so okay, I may eat like that everyday.

More for the extreme measures you've taken in the past to lose weight. I don't know you, I only know about what you've posted here, but I have a strong feeling that you've suffered in the past from obsession with your weight and food. Now, I think you're headed down the right path, but I think a nutritionist (note that I said nutritionist and not a therapist!) could help you a little more. I'm very glad you're aware that your previous methods were dangerous!
  • neandermagnon
    neandermagnon Posts: 7,436 Member
    Options

Yes! I'd rather lose gradual weight and perhaps not fit into all of my clothes but get there and STAY there, than continue the slinky thing! Plus food is too enjoyable to ward off forever! Omg, poptarts! How did I live without poptarts?!

ETA: I can't lie, I can't wait until my jeans fit again, but pajama pants are a comfortable inbetween. ESPECIALLY when coupled with poptarts.

:flowerforyou: ... and @ your OP too... I'm really happy you came to this realisation.

This is why there are lots of us on this site who keep on banging on about eating more and not restricting excessively. We're not trying to p*** on anyone's fireworks... we're just trying to let people know that no-one has to torture or excessively deprive themselves to get lean, and what's more, it's a lot healthier and more sustainable to eat more AND you feel so much better and have so much more energy. I really hope that some of the people out there who vehemently defend eating very little read your posts.
  • zoeysasha37
    zoeysasha37 Posts: 7,089 Member
    Options
    Congrats OP!! It seems that your heading down the right path now!I promise it works and will continue to work long term. Your body will thank you for being healthy :-)
  • judge69
    judge69 Posts: 13
    Options
    hi, it's good you feel good about yourself at last, that bit of confidence alone could help with any eating disorders that raise there ugly heads. you could argue that all of us on here are a little OCD about food and exercise, does that mean we all have eating disorders? hmmm...
    the most difficult thing i have found when dieting is to still eat for enjoyment as well as calorie controlling and nutrition.

you are back on track, good luck and best wishes x
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!