Workouts For Obese People

Options
This may surprise a lot of people (joking), but being obese or large makes it rather difficult or awkward to move around or do certain things. Some things are extra hard on the joints due to the excess weight.

Anyway, I've been trying to find maybe workout videos online or in store that have routines for people who are larger or have back problems, like my dad and myself. It's really discouraging to feel like you can't do something because it's too painful.

Or maybe I'm going about this all wrong? Should I grit my teeth and endure the pain?

I just need help... please don't chastise me. I'm very new to exercise.

Replies

• ittybittybadonkadonk
    ittybittybadonkadonk Posts: 11,634 Member
    Options
    I love Leslie Sansone walking dvd's I got all of mine at walmart for 10.00......
  • kimberlya271
    kimberlya271 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    For myself, I have been trying to just modify as I go, letting my body tell me when things are too much. One size doesn't fit all and that's true for workouts too; two people who weigh the same have different abilities, different levels of strength, etc. I definitely wouldn't push through pain if it were me though.

If you have a gym membership, maybe book some time with a trainer. If you don't have one, I would read the discussion groups for strength training and bodyweight training, for some ideas.
  • gonefishin1282
    gonefishin1282 Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    If you have access to a pool, that would be the least stressful on your joints and would easily get your heart rate going. Honestly what I did at first was a calorie deficit with next to no exercise. I lost 20lbs just doing that. Once I felt better I started jogging on the treadmill with patella straps to support my knees.
  • minibandit
    Options
    Hi - I'm going to give a vote for just modifying 'normal' stuff. I'm going to start a Jillian Michaels DVD on Mon and I know that there are certain bits of the cardio that I can't do...yet. So, instead of doing say Jumping Jacks I'll do a modified version (I don't know why but, JJ's do my knees in).
    It can also take me a while to get good form on some of the strength bits, so I tend to focus on getting that first. It may mean that I miss a few reps while I'm adjusting but, I would rather do a few strength moves well than do many - badly.

Walking is really good too.
  • GingerPeachLass
    GingerPeachLass Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    the pool is an excellent idea! I just started walking. I started on my first day just walking to the end of my driveway, then to the end of my street for a few days, then I built up to a block. I am not working on my first couch to 5K. It was slow going, didn't take many steps for the first few weeks, but eventually I started taking more and more steps. A good shoe (New Balance for me) helped me minimize the pain in my feet (I have fallen arches) but I am getting there.

See if your city or county has a public gym where you can use a pool, so much better on your knees and feet!
  • Miamiuu
    Miamiuu Posts: 262 Member
    Options
    Walking is helpful. If moving is a problem if you just stand for one hour you can burn about 100 calories. Its boring, but its not strenuous.
  • Kellyk1965
    Options
    start out small, find some stretching exercises you can do for 10 minutes to start loosening up your muscles and joints and then go for a brisk walk for 10 minutes. after a week of doing that add 10 minutes to your walk and go from there. If you have access to a community gym ride the stationary bike for 10 minutes then do some stretching then bike for 1/2 hour. Do this 3 x per week and you will see a good change. your endurance will increase and then you will be able to add more to your routine. I did the stretching with 2 pilates exercises and biking for 6 weeks (3 x per week) and it made a real difference.

Good luck and don't give up
  • Ninkyou
    Ninkyou Posts: 6,666 Member
    Options
    Lots and lots of walking. Walk your butt off.
  • Fuzzipeg
    Fuzzipeg Posts: 2,298 Member
    Options
    Recently here in the UK, all be it in a nursing home, the residents were encouraged to stand for a little while rather than just sitting and their health improved.

If you can get to a pool to move in the water this would be good because it reduces the pressure on the joints. There is no benefit in deliberately pushing yourself to the point you feel pain. If you try to do a little bit more on a regular basis then you will reap dividends. Regular athletes tend to have training schedules which incorporate rest days but this may be for some time in the future, keep up the steady good work.
  • hellsbells3272
    hellsbells3272 Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    walking if it doesn't hurt your knees.
    Otherwise swimming, walking in the water, leading to water aerobics classes eventually.
    Where I live you can get a personal trainer who works in the water for people with mobility/joint problems.
    Think positive - you are trying to do something - well done :)
  • mblair1968
    mblair1968 Posts: 323 Member
    Options
    Great for you! I would tell you, to start with just standing or walking. Increase slowly. If all you can do is walk 20 ft the first day, then great. The next day walk 25 ft. Or walk 20 ft 5 seconds faster. Just make sure you do it every day, and improve a little every day! Soreness is normal. Pain is not.
  • easjer
    easjer Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    If it has to be indoors/video - I ditto Leslie Sansone's walking videos. Easy place to start. I do a lot on Wii Fit. I also do the 7 minute workout, which is extremely modifiable to your ability level; I started with 20 second rests between exercises and used lower steps for step-ups and started with knee push-ups and planks. Any similiar calisthenic exercise can be substituted, as well (it works out in groups of 4 - cardio, legs, arms, core). For full benefit, you should do 3-4 circuits, and only take a 10 second rest, but I have to work up to that! It's a great place to start. You can also just jog in your living room (I do that 20-30 minutes a day). Not the same as outside (less exertion), but I guarantee I couldn't do that when I started.
  • missiontofitness
    missiontofitness Posts: 4,074 Member
    Options
    I have never been obese, but I do have some heart issues, so I have some low intensity ideas that may help!

- Walking, as everyone said, is a great start. Starting small and then working your way up is a great way to add more fitness to your lifestyle.
    - Zumba- I love this because you can do it at any pace you like, and mixes dance into your workout. They do have DVDs for sale.
    - You can get some of those small hand weights, and add a little strength training into a home workout.
    - You can also scope out some Youtube fitness channels. I personally like searching for specific workouts, and I'm sure you can find one that you're comfortable with. Blogilates also has a great channel with a ton of different workouts to try.

Echoing what's also been said above, take it slow. I wouldn't do 500 squats at once, because I know my body wouldn't handle it, nor would I try to bench press my body weight. Listen to your body, and adjust your workouts to what your body can handle as you move forward.

Good luck!!
  • raggiemom
    raggiemom Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    I like the Leslie Sansone walking dvd..it's on you tube. There are also exercises on there for seniors...start out doing things in a chair so low impact and easier to do, and gradually build up; it doesn't matter if you're a senior or not...it's a good place to start. Swimming is also a great starting place too...less impact on the joints. Just have to find what fits for you. Good luck!
  • sympha01
    sympha01 Posts: 942 Member
    Options
    Hmm, I started last year at over 300 lbs (and over 40 yo) with no exercise experience, but now I workout for an hour a day 6X a week, plus walking.

When I started I focused on being gentle to myself. So I started with just stretching and "warm up" exercises only, probably less than 10 minutes a day. Pretty quickly got the hang of that and gradually added more minutes and actual workouts, though focussing on low-impact ones. Modified anything that my body wouldn't do or that hurt, but TRIED everything. Always gave new things a chance.

If you go to FitnessBlender.com you can stream lots of free workout videos. They seem to cater more to people who workout regularly (definitely not customized for the obese!), but their site rates every workout from easy 1 to crazy hard 5 and they are pretty good about talking through how to do things properly. The easiest workouts at "1" are just stretching only. There are plenty of "2" workouts though that actually do move you around and are pretty challenging when you're new to exercise and obese.

Start there, and be gentle and forgiving with your body, but also stay determined and don't give up; 90% of success is just showing up. You'll get used to it faster than you might think!
  • dpwellman
    dpwellman Posts: 3,271 Member
    Options
    Depends on "obese", I guess.

How different are people? I don't know. . . I know one woman who was up to 310+ she started running-- 26 years old.

I started at 283. . also running.

I recommend just walking. Go for distance not time.
  • Nikoruo
    Nikoruo Posts: 771 Member
    Options
    Start small and work up. Remember though: Pain is good. You get tougher and it's pushing your body. Now! that being said, too much is definately not good. When i was 340lbs i started with swimming which is honestly the best thing. very gentle on your bones. Then move up to walking. When you can handle walking go to light jog etc etc.

Per example: I started swimming at 340 like i said, then after a while, when i got to about 300lbs i started skipping because i always enjoyed it. Plus it took a small amount of my day to burn a lot of calories. Most people wouldn't go so full in to skipping as i did, but with my drive i really wanted to go as fast as i could! However, when i was in too much pain i would rest or have a few days rest between workout days to get up my strength again. So take your time and you'll see. This journey is all about learning more about yourself :)
  • greengoddess0123
    greengoddess0123 Posts: 417 Member
    Options
    I was 250 and very unfit when I started last year and I FEEL YOU! Everything hurts and everything feels awkward to do!

I'll echo the walking and swimming sentiments. I also started the couch to 5k running program when I was that heavy. I ran VERY slowly, took 2 days off between runs, elevated my legs for 5 minutes every night, and after each run I would take ibuprofen and ice my feet/ankles/legs. As the weight came off, I got stronger and stronger.

I told myself if I was an elite athlete, I would still be pushing myself to my edges, so why not go ahead and think of myself that way. I'm not saying push so hard you injure yourself, but learn how to discern between pain you can recover from quickly and pain that is a serious injury waiting to happen.

Remember that you can modify almost any exercise. If all else fails, put on some music and just march in place or dance for 30 minutes.

This part of the journey is temporary. It gets better. :smile:
  • FemaleSheogorath
    Options
    From what I gather from everything everyone has been saying is that I should walk more and swim if I am able to. Unfortunately, I do not have the luxury of a pool.
  • missiontofitness
    missiontofitness Posts: 4,074 Member
    Options
    From what I gather from everything everyone has been saying is that I should walk more and swim if I am able to. Unfortunately, I do not have the luxury of a pool.

Are you comfortable with finding a gym or local YMCA? The YMCA near me has a pool, and I believe they did classes there as well.