Questions About Sodium & Sugar?

Options
O.K. so this site is amazing but I have one or two major concerns.Hopefully someone out there might be able to set me straight.On a normal day my calorie input is set at 1510 calories & my sodium is 2500 grams.Here's my dilemma.When I exercise and burn calories my calorie intake is reset adding my exercise calories but the sodium number stays the same.From all that I've read I believe that I should try to eat back my exercise calories.Today as an example I burned 3001 calories added to my 1510 my intake should be somewhere around 4500 calories but am expected to keep my sodium at 2500 grams.I don't see how that's possible.Any advice is welcomed.
One other thing is sugar. I tried tracking my sugar and found that with the amount of fruit I eat that keeping under my daily allotment isn't possible. Is the natural sugar I'm getting from the fruit not healthy??

Any help would be appreciated...Thanks...Mark

Replies

• NoAdditives
    NoAdditives Posts: 4,251 Member
    Options
    If your sugar is coming from fruit or other natural sources as opposed to added refined sugar or high fructose corn syrup, I wouldn't worry about it. Natural sugars are harder for the body to break down and aren't as easily absorbed, so they're not as bad.

As far as sodium is concerned, you do need to be careful. Try eating fewer processed foods and don't add salt when you cook. As long as I'm cooking my own food from scratch I don't have too much trouble staying within my sodium limit. You might also think about working out a little less. Burning 3000 calories per workout seems pretty extreme.
  • Edestiny7
    Edestiny7 Posts: 730 Member
    Options
    The American Heart Association recommends 1500 mg. sodium for everyone, especially those with health issues. And I agree with the previous poster. 3,000 calories is far too many to be trying to eat back. You should cut back on burning so many.
  • collettemrk
    Options
    The American Heart Association recommends 1500 mg. sodium for everyone, especially those with health issues. And I agree with the previous poster. 3,000 calories is far too many to be trying to eat back. You should cut back on burning so many.

3000calories isn't the norm for me although I usually burn anywhere from 8000 to 100000 calories per week.I don't understand how exercising can be anything but good.As a matter of fact the more the better sounds right .I'm not only trying to lose weight I'm also trying to get into shape! I believe you have a typo I think it should read 2500 mg not 1500.
  • JulieBoBoo
    Options

3000calories isn't the norm for me although I usually burn anywhere from 8000 to 100000 calories per week.I don't understand how exercising can be anything but good.As a matter of fact the more the better sounds right .I'm not only trying to lose weight I'm also trying to get into shape! I believe you have a typo I think it should read 2500 mg not 1500.
    http://www.heart.org/HEARTORG/GettingHealthy/NutritionCenter/HealthyDietGoals/Dictionary-of-Nutrition_UCM_305855_Article.jsp

nope, not a typo.

As for exercising too much, the first thing that comes to mind is that you run a much higher risk of stress injury if you overdo it. It is indeed possible to get too much of a good thing.
  • eorcel
    eorcel Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I am extremely sensitive to sodium and is now reducing it significantly. It creates severe water retention with symptoms for those sensitive to it. And it would create water retention for those not sensitive, however, very little symptoms or none. This water retention would result in slow, or no weight loss. So limiting your sodium in order to lose weight would be a good option for you. Although MFP states that I am allowed to eat more calories when I exercise, I still do not exceed the minimal set calories I am allowed for the day.
  • collettemrk
    Options
    You might also think about working out a little less. Burning 3000 calories per workout seems pretty extreme.

Let me first start by saying 3000 calories is not the norm.I usually burn about 10000 calories a week so that's around 1500 calories a day on average.I have recently decided to train for a cycling event that requires me to pedal a distance of 100 miles a day for 2 days.In order to do this I will be burning a lot more calories hence the reason for this thread.Yesterdays burn of 3000 calories was only 54 miles . I need someone to advise me what to do about eating some of these calories back without going over my 2500 mg of sodium.I am not eating processed food but it seems there's no way to eat lets say even 2000 to 3000 calories without going over.If there's a list of dense foods without sodium or sugar I'd appreciate someone directing me to it.
    So as you see working out "less" isn't going to happen.My plan is to workout a lot more after the holidays.Yesterday was just to see where i am in to see how far I have to go to make 100 miles in a day.So no 3000 calories isn't "extreme" in this case!..
  • bigmackattack69
    Options
    Try taking in more potassium. That help with some of the sodium.