Advice please?

Options
Hi,

I'm new to the forum. I'm currently trying to excercise my way into a physique I am happy with. At the moment, im not obese nor am I a skinny female . I have naturally thick thighs (when I say naturally thick, i dont mean muscular!). Also have a bit of a bum and I have a small waist. Also a small bit of belly fat that I would love to flatten. I do cardio about 3 times a week (this is my 3rd week), which is about 45mins to an hour each session. I am also building that up to 5 times a week. I had been told by a PT at the gym to lift 1.5kg and do more reps. As a beginner I do struggle with these tiny dumbells, and when it burns it burns! I use weights for arms legs and butt workouts..

I am basically trying to lose weight all over, especially my legs arms and stomach. but do not want to lose the butt I have. Is there any one who can give me some helpful advice on what to do. I know you cant spot reduce but I cant help but fear about my thighs and calves slowly getting bigger as I try to define my bum a bit more. I also eat quite clean and healthy! I also read this article by Bret Contreras which I found pretty interesting. http://bretcontreras.com/growing-glutes-without-growing-the-legs/ any thoughts?

So, overall.. should I do heavier and less reps. or continue with my 1.5s with more reps until they become easy.? and what do you think is the best way for a female beginner to tone up the bum without working too much on my legs, whilst trying to lose weight on my legs!

btw thankyou if you read my essay and are about to reply! :)

Replies

• BlueBombers
    BlueBombers Posts: 4,065 Member
    Options
    Heavier less reps
  • mestiza91
    mestiza91 Posts: 51
    Options
    does this burn more fat? I don't want to gain bulk . everyonne seems to have mixed opinions on this :(
  • Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options
    does this burn more fat? I don't want to gain bulk . everyonne seems to have mixed opinions on this :(

As a female you won't get bulky unless you take steroids. Stay off steroids and you'll be fine.
  • TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    Options
  • mortuseon
    mortuseon Posts: 579 Member
    Options

If you're in a deficit as MFP will have set you for weight loss, you won't be gaining muscle. Don't worry! Not that gaining muscle is a bad thing. See above.
  • mestiza91
    mestiza91 Posts: 51
    Options
    Thanks everyone. I really just don't want my legs to get any bigger as I hate them! Does any one have any advice on workouts is good at activating the glutes area without high activation on the legs. So tricky because squats and lunges also work the legs. I really want to slim this area down but tone up my butt.
  • mortuseon
    mortuseon Posts: 579 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone. I really just don't want my legs to get any bigger as I hate them! Does any one have any advice on workouts is good at activating the glutes area without high activation on the legs. So tricky because squats and lunges also work the legs. I really want to slim this area down but tone up my butt.

Honestly, I'd just continue with the squats and lunges. More leg activation will burn more calories it'll be easier to lose with that burn supporting your caloric deficit. Don't worry about your legs getting bulky - 1) you're female, so gaining muscle is a difficult process anyway due to lack of testosterone & 2) you're in a caloric deficit so it's literally impossible to gain. You might see a bit of water weight/swelling after lifting but that is all temporary!
  • BinaryPulsar
    BinaryPulsar Posts: 8,927 Member
    Options
    hip thrusts

bretcontreras.com (he wrote an article about it)
  • shane_tac1
    shane_tac1 Posts: 35 Member
    Options

This is a huge misconception folks have. You wont suddenly sprout biceps. To really make big muscular gains test is required and you need to eat your way to those gains.
    It's taken me a year to put a half inch on my biceps.
  • BusyRaeNOTBusty
    BusyRaeNOTBusty Posts: 7,166 Member
    Options
    I carry my excess fat on my legs as well (and have a narrow waist). I've been lifting for 2 years. Eating has been more or less at maintenance. My legs have NOT gotten any bigger. Everything has gotten more shapely though. I have progress pictures in my profile.

This is a good place to start.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/560459-stronglifts-5x5-summary
  • Galatea_Stone
    Galatea_Stone Posts: 2,037 Member
    Options

Keep eating at a deficit. Your legs will get smaller. If you lift weights, they'll get smaller and harder.
  • DuckDynastyMakesMeLaugh
    Options
    bump
  • BinaryPulsar
    BinaryPulsar Posts: 8,927 Member
    Options
    Yeah, I agree with the others as well.