Polar FT4 calories vs Elliptical calories

Options
Here's the deal. I recently purchased a Polar FT4 Heart Rate Monitor. I did 1hr & 5mins of elliptical (When I use the elliptical I just start using it and never bothered inputting my weight, age, etc.) And so, I pressed start on my Polar as soon as I start on the elliptical. After Im done, the elliptical says I burned 464 calories for 1hr5mins while my Polar HRM says 815 calories for 1hr5mins. I read some of the comments on this forum, and they say that their HRM usually gives them the lower reading than the elliptical machines. But in my case, its different, I got a higher reading on my Polar HRM. So my question is, which calorie should I put in MyFitnessPal? Which is more accurate? Thanks for your time!

Replies

• pimpin_po
    pimpin_po Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    I always trust my polar HRM. If you a quite a bit overweight it's very possible you're burning that many calories because your working harder then someone who is lighter. My elliptical overestimate by 400 calories an hour. What's your average heart rate during your workouts?
  • xsmilexforxmex
    xsmilexforxmex Posts: 1,216 Member
    Options
    My polar upped the calories burned at first but Ithink it's because I was overweight and out of shape. Once I got into better shape I noticed it was dropping down slowly.
  • sabinismoon
    sabinismoon Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Oh okay that explains it! Polar says my Average Heart Rate is 185 and my Maximum Heart Rate is 195. Thank you guys so much!!! Tons of help!
  • Eric_DeCastro
    Eric_DeCastro Posts: 767 Member
    Options
    as I lost weight (enter my weight in the watch) I would burn less calories
  • sabinismoon
    sabinismoon Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    oh okay! Yeah ill do that! Btw, congrats on that whopping weight loss! Wow! Keep it up!
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options
    Here's the deal. I recently purchased a Polar FT4 Heart Rate Monitor. I did 1hr & 5mins of elliptical (When I use the elliptical I just start using it and never bothered inputting my weight, age, etc.) And so, I pressed start on my Polar as soon as I start on the elliptical. After Im done, the elliptical says I burned 464 calories for 1hr5mins while my Polar HRM says 815 calories for 1hr5mins. I read some of the comments on this forum, and they say that their HRM usually gives them the lower reading than the elliptical machines. But in my case, its different, I got a higher reading on my Polar HRM. So my question is, which calorie should I put in MyFitnessPal? Which is more accurate? Thanks for your time!

In general, I always go for the lowest.

Honestly, even accounting for weight (I don't know how much you weigh), 815 is extremely high. I would not trust that number. I would suggest checking your HRM settings again. This is also a helpful post.
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/548645-setup-polar-hrm-for-more-accurate-calorie-burn-for-known-bmr

Also allows you to test for accuracy
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/774337-how-to-test-hrm-for-how-accurate-calorie-burn-is

And some food for thought
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/Azdak/view/exercise-calories-sometimes-the-cardio-machines-are-more-accurate-404739

HRMs are not infallible. There can be any number of factors that affect accuracy. They are a great tool but not to be trusted blindly.
  • justbob54
    Options
    Oh crap, thanks for reminding me (I reset my lower weight into HRM). Awesome.
  • A_Fit_Mom
    A_Fit_Mom Posts: 602 Member
    Options
    I always go by my HRM. I never pay any mind to the machines. My suggestion is go by the HRM, but don't always eat back every calorie. I eat an average of half my exercise calories back.
  • Eric_DeCastro
    Eric_DeCastro Posts: 767 Member
    Options
    oh okay! Yeah ill do that! Btw, congrats on that whopping weight loss! Wow! Keep it up!

thank you I'm going for the big 100. =)
  • Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    Options
    90% the FT4 only gives spit out your gross calories burned and not net. So you would have to deduct that as well to get a more accurate guesstimate of calories burned. Another factor which is less common if you have a abnormal high heart rate, it will give you a false reading. HRM is very good guess, but by no means gold. There are formula that can get you the same area...