Lunch ideas for roasted chicken?

Options
PandaCustard
PandaCustard Posts: 204 Member
I've heard about a lot of people talking about buying a whole discount chicken, cooking it, and using it for meals throughout the week for work lunches. I found a 3 lb chicken for $4, so I decided to try it out for this week. After I cooked the chicken and carved it, now, I'm not really sure what I can do with it besides just have the plain meat with a vegetable side. Does anyone have any recipe ideas I can use it for besides that? Keep in mind I can't have gluten. Thanks!

Replies

• slynnlove
    slynnlove Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    It's good to add to a salad, or make a wrap.
  • mwery88
    mwery88 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I add chicken to salads, wraps or anything I could get some extra protein in. I also like making low-fat chicken salad. Instead of mayo, I use Greek yogurt, pecans, a little onion, celery, salt, pepper, curry powder and chicken. It's so good and relatively low in fat.
  • PandaCustard
    Options
    Those sound good! Thanks, y'all! :flowerforyou:
  • FatOldManMN
    FatOldManMN Posts: 1,116 Member
    Options
    Chop it up with some low fat mayo, add diced onion, salt and pepper.
  • Elliehmltn
    Elliehmltn Posts: 254 Member
    Options
    Carve off a leg, or a breast half. Wrap in plastic. Eat for lunch. Yes, just cold. Yum. Don't mess with mixing it into some kind of salad. Just eat it like a carnivore.
  • rduhlir
    rduhlir Posts: 3,550 Member
    Options
    Add to salads.

Make single portion chicken salad sandwich.

Make chicken sandwich.

Buy some of the mircowave single serving steam bags of peppers and onions, and then take a little bit of oil (like maybe 1 tsp), the vegetables, and 3 ounces of chicken and mix with a tsp or so of taco seasoning. Nuke to warm and meld flavors a bit. Then use that to make chicken tacos.
  • jenilla1
    jenilla1 Posts: 11,118 Member
    Options
    I love roasted chicken in salads!!!
  • Sharonmdenham
    Sharonmdenham Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    I do chicken tacos.
    3 steamed white corn tortillas (damp paper towel in a baggie with the corn tortilla microwaves for 30 seconds)
    3ounces of chicken
    1 cup shredded lettuce
    1-2 teaspoons of siracha sauce

Very filling and lo in calories 241

Add a piece of fruit and you have a very satisfying lunch.
  • Krikit34
    Krikit34 Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    Two of my favorites:
    Chicken taco - put in a tortilla with some red onion, cilantro, tomato, sour cream, avocado, salsa and a squeeze of lime. (Whatever you want.)
    Or chicken gyro, just use the chicken you have - recipe here: http://www.canyoustayfordinner.com/2011/04/10/lemon-chicken-gyros-with-tzatziki-and-feta/
  • PandaCustard
    Options
    Thanks for all of the awesome ideas! I'm excited for lunch this week now. Since I've found a place that sells whole small chickens for so cheap, I think I'll do this more often.
  • Sharonmdenham
    Sharonmdenham Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    <<<<<<<<< My profile pick is my lunch for last Thursday, only 327 calories.

2 Tablespoons Kraft creamy French dressing (fat free)
    3 cups iceberg lettuce
    1/4 cup chopped cucumber
    1 medium roma tomato
    1 hard boiled egg sliced
    4 ounces boneless skinless chicken sliced
    10 baby carrots
    2 stalks of celery

1/4 of a medium cantaloupe
  • lizzyclatworthy
    lizzyclatworthy Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    Lots of my left over chicken goes in my special fried rice (I buy a cooked hot chicken after my workout on Saturday and eat half of it like a wild animal in the car park)
    oh i am a sahm/ student so I eat hot meals for lunch... And I am in maintenance. I may not have been much help.
  • KennaCanuck
    KennaCanuck Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Chicken a la king or Chicken cacciattori (sp?) is nice. Just add a can of mushroom soup, some mushrooms, and serve it over rice with green beans or peas or something.