Holiday 150 mile Challenge

Options

Replies

• izobel
    izobel Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    I've just read through some of the previous posts and saw Melissa's introduction ... and see there aren't that many of us updating on the challenge. We are a select group :-)

I'm Isobel, a New Zealander based in Japan (where are you Chrissy? Do you do races here? We usually do Frostbite Half but chose another Jan 10th closer to home which is northwest Tokyo). I've run slowly for years now and rock and mountain climb. I took up cycling just over a year ago and am smitten but unfortunately it is not nearly as good as running for keeping the body in shape - and I do long rides! So with a half coming up early January I have been trying to up the mileage and this challenge is perfect except I am actually supposed to be in the mountains preparing for a climbing trip to Europe next month rather than running around the park.

Can't remember now if it was Chrissy or Melissa, but I'm the same - nromal BMI and just want to be fit and strong. I chanced on MFP on my iPhone looking for somewhere to record my calories and weight which I've done for years on scraps of paper. It is motivating to hook up for a challenge though and I enjoy the message boards.

Anyway good on all of us for keeping moving. I really can't let the running sabotage the climbing prep but I hope to reach 150km by the end of the month.

Good luck everyone and hope you're all having a great festive season.
  • esorcel
    esorcel Posts: 459 Member
    Options
    Walked 1 miles during lunch yesterday, and 2.08 miles last night on the elliptical machine. Will be adding more miles throughout today.

exercise.png
  • esorcel
    Options
    Walked 2.07 miles this morning.

exercise.png
  • esorcel
    Options
    Completed another mile during my lunch break.

exercise.png
  • wlkn4him
    wlkn4him Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    + 6.8 mile run tonight. 66 down, 34 to go.
  • izobel
    Options
    I'm going to include my 15+k hike (as measured by Runkeeper) so there may just be a way to reach 150 by Christmas ...
  • Happyoceangirl
    Happyoceangirl Posts: 1,993 Member
    Options
    31.6 plus today's 4.46 = 36.06
    63.04 to go. Yikes.

Wlkn4him - we're inverted. Great job - you've been committed. Me, not so much.

Sometimes I think I have a bit of oppositional defiant disorder. With this challenge, I actually have been running significantly LESS than if I had no goal at all.

That silly perfectionist in my blood - if I see early on it isn't going to be perfect, there's temptation to give up altogether. I decided to take the pressure off, go when I feel like it, but track the mileage and see what I come up with. Not a terrible idea. Much better than psyching myself out and quitting before I really start.
  • esorcel
    Options
    Had slowed down a bit, but hoping to pick up now so that I can complete the challenge on time. Did one mile during lunch on Wednesday, and one mile on today.

exercise.png
  • Happyoceangirl
    Options
    36.06 + 3.87 = 39.93
  • Happyoceangirl
    Options
    36.06 + 3.87 = 39.93

60.07 to go.
  • wlkn4him
    Options
    Ran a Jingle Bell 5K with my hubby today to add 3 miles to my total. It's been a crazy week but now that school's out for Winter Break, I'm hopping to finish this challenge off with a bang since I have some extra time on my side,
    Smiles- I understand the perfectionist mentality and have been there myself...it sounds like you've kept active though. Good Job!
    Izobel- What brought you to Japan? We live in Okinawa and love it here.

69 Running miles down, 31 to go. Hopefully, I'll get those extra elliptical miles done too.

Keep pushing through friends! It's not over til it's over. :wink:
  • izobel
    Options
    Another 15k down yesterday. Yes, I am going to make it!!!

Chrissy - so many bases up here I completely forgot most of them were in Okinawa. We went down for the Okinawa marathon in March (I was injured so did the 10k. The most relaxing race I've ever been in. A lot of strict time limits up here because of the road closures.) and had a really nice time. I spent 4 years backpacking around Asia in my wild youth and came to Japan in 1990 to earn money to keep travelling. Met my husband and it's all history. Can't believe how fast the last twenty years have gone :-(
  • wlkn4him
    Options
    Ran 6.5 miles this afternoon...75.5 down, 24.5 to go. WooHoo!!!
    Izobel- my husband and I are doing the Okinawa 10K this year, and we're looking for a marathon to train for sometime later in the spring. There are usually so many here that it's never hard to find a race. My husband and I met in Iwakuni (I was visiting my brother who was stationed there) and the rest is history for us too. Are you training for any races now?
    Good luck this week, everyone!!!
  • wlkn4him
    Options
    Ran 7 this morning to bring the total to 82.5. 17.5 more running miles and 32 more elliptical miles to go. I've been so focused on running that I've put off those elliptical miles I'd challenged myself to do. Bring on the double days and keep the holiday pounds away!
  • wlkn4him
    Options
    Ran 7 this morning to bring the total to 82.5. 17.5 more running miles and 32 more elliptical miles to go. I've been so focused on running that I've put off those elliptical miles I'd challenged myself to do. Bring on the double days and keep the holiday pounds away!
    Added 7 elliptical miles this afternoon to bring it to 25, 25 to go.
  • izobel
    Options
    Very happy to only have 23 to go!

Chrissy - the rest is history, yes! I guess in Okinawa as in the rest of the country running has really taken off. Obscure races we used to do are now closing applications just a few days into registration. I'm really just trying to get fit for a snowshoe trip to Europe next month. I have a week in the southern alps which is supposed to be "challenging" then one in Poland which will hopefully be more wine and sausage! I do have a half marathon on the 10th just before I leave. My running has really slowed the last 5 years. I've done many halfs 1.50-2 hours but the last two were 2.15 (admittedly on no training), so for the first time ever I am trying intervals. Yuck! Did 40 minutes today and it was hard and not fun so I hope it will pay off. I'd much rather run a slow 15k than a fast 6!

Anyway I'll be checking back before Christmas!!
  • wlkn4him
    Options
    Jumped on the elliptical this morning for 7 to bring my remaining miles to 18.
    Ran 5 miles this evening...12.5 running miles to go.

I'm tired!
  • wlkn4him
    Options
    It's the final countdown...

+4 run...8.5 remain
    +6.5 elliptical...11.5 to go.
  • esorcel
    Options
    Had fallen off course for a while, but am now back on board. I'm still confident that I will finish this challenge on time.
    Saturday: 1 mile

Yesterday: 1 mile
    This morning: 3 miles
    Total: 5 miles.

Will be checking in later with some more miles to add.

exercise.png
  • wlkn4him
    Options
    Went back to the gym last night and added 5 more elliptical miles. 6.5 elliptical, 8.5 running left.