Vegan/Vegetarian Weight Loss

Options
I was a vegetarian for many years. Never a vegan, but I also never had a weight problem. Fast forward six years, two kids and a carnivore spouse and I started eating meat a few years back, and I am FAT. I am not saying meat made me fat but in my case, the kinds of meat I am eating no doubt contributed. I am just starting on MFP but I badly want to go back to a vegan/vegetarian diet. I feel better when I eat this way, but I am scared also it will stall weight loss efforts. It feels like right now, I am eating low, low carb to promote weight loss. But it also makes me feel sick.

Basically just wondering if anyone has been successful dieting and eating meat free

Replies

• nomeejerome
    nomeejerome Posts: 2,616 Member
    Options
    Calorie deficit=weight loss
    Calorie surplus=weight gain

It is not the type of food that causes weight gain, it is eating too much of it.
  • skinnyontheinside27
    skinnyontheinside27 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Its really hard for me to get out of the 'low carb' mindset as it relates to weight loss. Carbs and dieting, have never gone together for me.
  • EmbraceTheDarkSide
    EmbraceTheDarkSide Posts: 514 Member
    Options
    You should do what makes you feel better. If this means cutting out meat, go for it... if it means changing your meal timings and size... go for it.

Remember to get the right mix of macros (i.e. proteins, carbs, and fats), have a sustainable number of calories, and be more active (I recommend looking into strength training... you will find that your results will be MUCH better and who doesn't like being stronger?)
  • atirmae
    atirmae Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I will say that as a vegetarian (since I was in fourth grade) for YEARS I focused mostly on filling up on cheeses and pastas; especially since I've been dating an extreme carnivore carbs and dairy was our happy medium.

Since starting using MPF religiously, I've found that filling up on mostly vegetables helps me feel like I'm getting to eat more, and it seems more filling.

I don't know how it could work for you, as I haven't eaten meat in years, but I really think it makes it easier for me.
  • healthygreek
    healthygreek Posts: 2,137 Member
    Options
    I was a vegetarian for many years. Never a vegan, but I also never had a weight problem. Fast forward six years, two kids and a carnivore spouse and I started eating meat a few years back, and I am FAT. I am not saying meat made me fat but in my case, the kinds of meat I am eating no doubt contributed. I am just starting on MFP but I badly want to go back to a vegan/vegetarian diet. I feel better when I eat this way, but I am scared also it will stall weight loss efforts. It feels like right now, I am eating low, low carb to promote weight loss. But it also makes me feel sick.

Basically just wondering if anyone has been successful dieting and eating meat free
    Why on earth would you want to eat low low carb if it makes you feel sick???????
    Just eat everything you like at a reasonable deficit.
    That's all you need to do.
  • Miamiuu
    Miamiuu Posts: 262 Member
    Options
    I would think a vegetarian would not be on a low carb diet since you have to eat so many veggies for the calories to add up to a healthy amount along with all the carbs they have.
  • corgarian
    corgarian Posts: 366 Member
    Options
    I'm a low-carb vegetarian if you want to check my diary or friend me
  • corgarian
    Options
    I would think a vegetarian would not be on a low carb diet since you have to eat so many veggies for the calories to add up to a healthy amount along with all the carbs they have.
    a low-carb vegetarian typically just doesnt eat processed carbs. I still go to town on fruits and veggies.
  • DebbieLyn63
    DebbieLyn63 Posts: 2,650 Member
    Options
    a low-carb vegetarian typically just doesnt eat processed carbs. I still go to town on fruits and veggies.

I was curious how that would work as well. A couple of notes- other than past 2 days, you don't seem to be eating low-carb at all, and did you realize that you have a cheese cubes entry that shows 100 cals and 80 g of Fat? That is impossible as fat is 9 cals per gram. May want to check that out.
  • corgarian
    Options

I was curious how that would work as well. A couple of notes- other than past 2 days, you don't seem to be eating low-carb at all, and did you realize that you have a cheese cubes entry that shows 100 cals and 80 g of Fat? That is impossible as fat is 9 cals per gram. May want to check that out.
    If you look at the food tho you will see a huge number of my carbs are from fruits and veggies (I ate half a cantaloup the other night, thats a carb bomb) a bananna is about 22 carbs, still gunna eat it. Chick peas are carb heavy, but again not a processed carb. Quinoa has carbs in it, but better than rice or pasta.
    I just scanned the HEB cheese cubes, I'm not too anal about the numbers i listen to what my body asks for and have been losing just fine. so it absolutly could be wrong.

EDIT: as my best friend loves to say: No one ever got fat on fruits and veggies.
  • DebbieLyn63
    DebbieLyn63 Posts: 2,650 Member
    Options

If you look at the food tho you will see a huge number of my carbs are from fruits and veggies (I ate half a cantaloup the other night, thats a carb bomb) a bananna is about 22 carbs, still gunna eat it. Chick peas are carb heavy, but again not a processed carb. Quinoa has carbs in it, but better than rice or pasta.
    I just scanned the HEB cheese cubes, I'm not too anal about the numbers i listen to what my body asks for and have been losing just fine. so it absolutly could be wrong.

EDIT: as my best friend loves to say: No one ever got fat on fruits and veggies.

I wasnt dissing WHAT you ate, just that it wasn't low carb. Fruits and veggies are good, but if you are eating more than 150 carb grams per day, it generally is not considered a low- carb diet. Might be confusing for people who need to eat low carb for medical reasons, or those who are trying to get into Ketosis.

Glad you are having success. :flowerforyou:
  • corgarian
    Options

I wasnt dissing WHAT you ate, just that it wasn't low carb. Fruits and veggies are good, but if you are eating more than 150 carb grams per day, it generally is not considered a low- carb diet. Might be confusing for people who need to eat low carb for medical reasons, or those who are trying to get into Ketosis.

Glad you are having success. :flowerforyou:
    The key is the vegetarian part. A vegetarian cant really go into ketosis, we would starve.
    When a vegetarian says low carb they are refering to processed carbs (pastas, bread, cookies, crackers, ect) most of the time. Her being (was) vegetarian I'm hoping she understood that.
  • zillah73
    zillah73 Posts: 505 Member
    Options
    I am vegan and have lost weight. While I keep an eye on all my macros including carbs as well as micronutrients and fiber, it doesn't rule my life. I just eat healthfully – a wide array of fruits, vegetables, legumes, nuts and seeds. I didn't go vegan to lose weight; however, I did it because I'm an animal lover. There are as many ways to lose weight as there are people to lose it so long as you eat at a calorie deficit. You could eat nothing but Oreo cookies and marshmallow fluff (both vegan, btw) at a calorie deficit and lose weight (and most likely feel like crap and start suffering from major nutritional deficits). Being vegan or vegetarian isn't always easy, especially when dining out or if friends/families aren't supportive. For me, 110% worth it.
  • skinnyontheinside27
    skinnyontheinside27 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I TOTALLY understand what you mean, thanks for you advice! The way you eat is basically what I am striving towards- more whole foods, less processed white stuff (sugar/starch). Would love to add you as a friend and check out your diary!
  • zillah73
    zillah73 Posts: 505 Member
    Options
    You are more than welcome to!
  • KhatLady
    KhatLady Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    I've been a vegetarian for 20 years. I've gained weight on a vegetarian diet. I've also lost weight on a vegetarian diet. It's all about the calories. I can cram a whole day's worth of calories in a single meal just as easy as anyone and it doesn't need to be pasta.

I eat carb-y foods with every meal and still come in at or below my calories for the day. It's the calories I keep in mind. I could have 2 slices of toast with breakfast - or I could skip a piece and replace it with a black bean burger. That black bean burger is going to be way more satisfying. I still get a slice of toast, so I don't feel deprived, but I also get something far more substantial so I don't feel hungry in an hour. Moderation, for me anyway, kicks the crap out of restriction. It's easier to be happy with choices than a life of full of "can't have that" every time I turn around.
  • jenilla1
    jenilla1 Posts: 11,118 Member
    Options
    Its really hard for me to get out of the 'low carb' mindset as it relates to weight loss. Carbs and dieting, have never gone together for me.

I eat a crap ton of carbs and I've had no trouble losing or maintaining for the past three years. Unless you've got some special health issue, the only thing that matters is calories.
  • Rocbola
    Rocbola Posts: 1,998 Member
    Options
    If you want to lose weight on a healthy vegan diet, the best thing to do is stop trying to lose weight, and focus on gaining health. Carbohydrates are a major part of fruits and vegetables, so it's hard to be low carb and healthy.

Once i started eating a lot of fruit, and putting the focus on health and fitness, the weight started coming off easily. I never permanently lost anything by "dieting".
  • KMC1012
    KMC1012 Posts: 20
    Options
    As others have said, it is definitely all about the type of food you eat but also that you are doing some sort of physical activity.
    I have been a vegetarian all my life and a recant vegan, my weight has fluctuated because of going through a phase of eating lots of processed food. Now I am at my bodies idea weight through eating whole foods and strength training.

I have never been on a diet, just on small lifestyle changes that made me overall feel healthier and stronger.