weight training alone can reduce body fat?

Options
Someone recently told me that they hard
"Just two weight lifting sessions a week can reduce overall body fat percentage by about 3% in ten weeks, even if you don't cut out any calories" .

I am having trouble finding sources to back this up and wanted to ask your thoughts on this?

Replies

• MB_Positif
    MB_Positif Posts: 8,897 Member
    Options
    Can't back up those numbers, but I know that I personally went from a size 10 to a size 6 while strength training and only losing 2 pounds during that time.
  • editorgrrl
    editorgrrl Posts: 7,060 Member
    Options
    Lifting weight increases your lean body mass, which technically "reduces overall body fat percentage."
  • toddis
    toddis Posts: 941 Member
    Options
    Well an increase in energy expenditure without an increase in energy intake, regardless of method...would work. I'd imagine the increased energy expenditure from 2 sessions and nothing else would be minimal though.
  • momxs2
    momxs2 Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • bacitracin
    bacitracin Posts: 921 Member
    Options
    Dude, squats burn a crapton of calories.
  • curvygirly911
    curvygirly911 Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    Wow you guys are amazingly quick! Thanks for the replies already. I'm glad that what you're saying is what I was thinking all along. I knew that weight training can really help tone up and build muscle and can show results; but the numbers seemed questionable to me.
  • Galatea_Stone
    Galatea_Stone Posts: 2,037 Member
    Options
    I've had better results from weight training than I ever had doing cardio.

I still do some cardio, but strength training is transforming.
  • RaspberryKeytoneBoondoggle
    Options
    Almost anything "can" help reduce fat: paleo, cutting back on sugar, quitting fast food, low fat, high fat and low carb, cardio, trampolining:). And so on...
    I would say that statement is true without researching because of the word "can". Also, like others said, weight lifting can change body composition and promote lower body fat percentage. It doesn't stand alone though.
  • rondaj05
    rondaj05 Posts: 497 Member
    Options
    I can't quote any sources or give any kind of numbers ... I just know from my personal experience these last couple of months.

I'm not losing much weight but my body is definitely changing. In the past I spent countless hours doing some type of cardio. Treadmill 5-7 days a week, minimum 20 minutes a day M-F and anywhere from 30 minutes to hour and half on the weekends. Add to that wii step aerobics, walking around my neighborhood etc. Didn't lift anything, not even a dumbbell and felt it was a never ending struggle to maintain and losing seemed hopeless. All of this was prior to me joining MFP, making friends here and most importantly reading, reading, reading these forums.

This time around I'm doing more strength training, whether it be with dumbbells or body weight. Ab and core work and tons of squats. I've lost 12 lbs since January 1st which isn't huge but I've gone down over 20 inches and 2 sizes.

Today my husband looked at me and told me I'm looking "thin".

Believe me, I am far from thin but I can honestly say the strength training has made a huge difference. I still get on the treadmill during the week before work bc it's a quick easy way to get some extra exercise in. I sit at a desk all day long so any "steps" I can get in are a bonus. I do my strength, core and ab work in the evening. Squats at work and in the evening.

I can honestly say I feel better and stronger than I have in a long time.
  • Sarahliquid
    Sarahliquid Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    I lift three times a week and only do warm up cardio 10-15 min. I usually lose 1% body fat per month, but last month I lost two. I have not lost weight. I eat at maintenance, about 2000 calories per day, which was an increase over the months from about 1000 a day when I started. Since Sept I've gone from 31% to 24% bf.
  • margannmks
    margannmks Posts: 424 Member
    Options
    I lift three times a week and only do warm up cardio 10-15 min. I usually lose 1% body fat per month, but last month I lost two. I have not lost weight. I eat at maintenance, about 2000 calories per day, which was an increase over the months from about 1000 a day when I started. Since Sept I've gone from 31% to 24% bf.
    thats good to hear can i ask whats your height weight age and are you doing stronglifts or 5×5 or what. What method are you tracking bf% with? Thanks
  • Sarahliquid
    Sarahliquid Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    I'm 43 years old, 5'5" and 130 lbs. I have a trainer once a week at Gold's, so I get new routines all the time. The have a hand held grip thing for bf.

I usually do my new routine Monday and repeat it on Friday. On Wednesday I do what I did on M and F the previous week. So you could call it a ABA BAB routine.