Can you lose weight with walking?

Options
I have around 25 pounds to lose and just found this great park near my house. It's a 2.5 mile walkway by the river and it's AWESOME. So roundtrip it would be 5 miles. I've walked it a couple of times this week (took an average of an 1 hour and 30 mins to 1:40) and it is actually fun, and I want exercise to be something I enjoy and don't dread! I can't do cardio exercises right now, but if I walk 5 miles a day could I lose weight? Has this worked for anyone?
Thanks!! :D

Replies

• tiggerlgh
    tiggerlgh Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    Yes, up until today (just started C25k) most of my exercise this winter was walking. What really matters is eating less than you burn. I started to lose in Oct 2013 and to date have lost a little over 40lbs.
  • lsorci919
    lsorci919 Posts: 772 Member
    Options
    Yup as long as you eat at a deficit you will lose. Walking will just help :)
  • lyndausvi
    lyndausvi Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    Sure. I loathe running. Along with eating at a deficit I walk or bike to lose weight.
  • digidream
    digidream Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    wooohoo
  • coolcoolcool2
    coolcoolcool2 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Yup, that's what I did along with cutting out the junk food.
  • prattiger65
    prattiger65 Posts: 1,657 Member
    Options
    Yes. And a calorie deficit.
  • Iwishyouwell
    Iwishyouwell Posts: 1,888 Member
    Options
    Of course. You can lose weight without exercising at all, so yes walking will aid.
  • craftywitch_63
    craftywitch_63 Posts: 829 Member
    Options
    Yep. Walking works. I went from 175 lbs to 145 lbs just by walking for 1 hour a day and watching my calorie intake. Actually, if you're just starting out exercising, walking is probably the best way to begin.

Good luck! :flowerforyou:
  • stormyxpony
    stormyxpony Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    whats deficit mean? I walk 3 x a week till the weather breaks for an hour.