making excuses

Options
Almost everyday I think about getting back into shape. And then I will always justify eating bad by saying to myself well you only have like 10 lbs to lose what's the big deal. But I'm uncomfortable in my jeans my tummy is just always there and Im Sick of it. I have zero energy. I watched fat sick and nearly dead today and starting Sunday tomorrow I am going on a juice fast. I hope and pray I can do it for 1 week.

Replies

• editorgrrl
    editorgrrl Posts: 7,060 Member
    Options
    Juice fasts don't work in the long term. Set your goal to .5 lb. per week, and log everything you eat & drink accurately & honestly. Weigh your food. Logging works.

Read this: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1080242-a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants
  • Apocalypz
    Apocalypz Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    I'm confused. You talk about the poor habits already recognised but then focus on a fad "juice fast" as to how you'll start your marathon? Perhaps you should sit down with your GP and have another go at a more successful plan.
  • Ready2Go17
    Ready2Go17 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Do the juice fast if it works for you! Don't listen to the naysayers. Obviously it's not healthy to do for a long time but for some it helps jump start their new lifestyles. I've done similar things to jump start mine. Good luck!! You can do it
  • ksmithnh
    ksmithnh Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    I think its great that you've recommitted and found the motivation to get going again, but I have to agree... a juice fast isn't a healthy, sustainable way to lose those last 10. If you're struggling making healthy choices, just pick one thing to focus on. Could be swapping for a healthier breakfast in the morning, swapping out some snacks for better options...etc. This works for me anyway when I'm feeling overwhelmed and having a hard time getting back on the 'wagon'. Good luck!
  • GertrudeHorse
    GertrudeHorse Posts: 646 Member
    Options
    What do you hope to achieve by doing a juice fast? If you only have ten pounds to lose then you would be better off calculating your TDEE, choosing a reasonable deficit, and eating that until you reach your goal. Then slowly adjust to eating at whatever your new maintenance level is. Continue that for the rest of your life.
  • chrissyfitter
    chrissyfitter Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    The juice fast is for a cleanse to just kick start my weight loss. I know it's not for long term I have done this before and I lost 10 lbs but over 4 years gained it back. I gain I loose I gain it's just a matter of sticking to healthier choices.
  • peggymunsell
    peggymunsell Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    The juice fast is for a cleanse to just kick start my weight loss. I know it's not for long term I have done this before and I lost 10 lbs but over 4 years gained it back. I gain I loose I gain it's just a matter of sticking to healthier choices.

Please tell me one toxin that you are cleansing.

I'm not trying to be a jerk or be rude, but a juice fast isn't healthy, it's not going to kickstart your weight loss. The weight you will lose will only be water which will come right back when you go back to eating.

Whatever you do it has to be a lifestyle change. If you don't like how your body looks, you may want to look into a strength training program that can help change and help with losing body fat.
  • peggymunsell
    Options
    Juice fasts don't work in the long term. Set your goal to .5 lb. per week, and log everything you eat & drink accurately & honestly. Weigh your food. Logging works.

Read this: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1080242-a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants

+1
  • peggymunsell
    Options
    I know you're not new to this, but this may also help along with the link the other poster posted...

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1235566-so-you-re-new-here
  • krazyforyou
    krazyforyou Posts: 1,428 Member
    Options
    Why dont you just try something as simple as Weight Watchers. It works and you can eat anything you like. Of course you could do this yourself but if your looking for structure its a good plan.
  • Mrsbkoz
    Mrsbkoz Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I'm glad I ran across your post because it fits me perfectly. I have been making excuses for several months now...just one more bad day. Well all those have added up to gaining 10# and I hate my physical being right now. By sharing your story, you have turned the light on for me, and have given me motivation to get back on track. :happy:
  • missiontofitness
    missiontofitness Posts: 4,074 Member
    Options
    A friend of mine juices daily...but they supplement it with a better diet, and don't sustain themselves for any period of time just on juice.

I'd echo what's been said above, but try to incorporate juice into your daily life! Great way to get in servings of fruits and veggies.
  • GertrudeHorse
    GertrudeHorse Posts: 646 Member
    Options

What do you mean by "kick start"? And what are you hoping to "cleanse"? Is there something wrong with your kidneys or liver? Because they do all the cleansing your body ever needs. If you know it is "just a matter of sticking to healthier choices" then why are you embarking on another fad short-term solution? That seems a bit silly imo.
  • craftywitch_63
    craftywitch_63 Posts: 829 Member
    Options
    Please don't do the juice fast, it will make things worse. The sudden, drastic change will send your system into a tailspin that will take a long time to correct. Instead of some quick "fix" or magic pill, give yourself time to eat healthier, and start with some gentle, non-stressful exercise. Take a walk for 1/2 hour or hour or whatever you can manage and increase gradually. That's what I did and you will be amazed at the change, but you have to give it time.

From WebMD:
    If you weed through all the controversy, you'll find that most medical experts agree on one thing: fasting is not a healthy weight loss tool.

"The appeal is that [fasting] is quick, but it is quick fluid loss, not substantial weight loss," says Madelyn Fernstrom, PhD, CNS, founder and director of the University of Pittsburgh Medical Center's Weight Loss Management Center.

"If it's easy off, it will come back quickly" -- as soon as you start eating normally again, she says.

Even some proponents of fasting for other medical purposes do not support fasting for weight loss. Some say it can actually make weight problems worse.

"Fasting is not a weight loss tool. Fasting slows your metabolic rate down so your diet from before the fast is even more fattening after you fast," says Joel Fuhrman MD, author of Eat to Live: The Revolutionary Plan for Fast and Sustained Weight Loss and Fasting and Eating for Health.

http://www.webmd.com/diet/features/is_fasting_healthy

GyuxLv0.jpg
  • rhenry086
    rhenry086 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Almost everyday I think about getting back into shape. And then I will always justify eating bad by saying to myself well you only have like 10 lbs to lose what's the big deal. But I'm uncomfortable in my jeans my tummy is just always there and Im Sick of it. I have zero energy. I watched fat sick and nearly dead today and starting Sunday tomorrow I am going on a juice fast. I hope and pray I can do it for 1 week.

There are many "smoothies" with lots of "cleansing" veggies you could make for breakfast in the morning, and still eat regular food throughout the day. For example, I make a smoothie with romaine lettuce, cilantro, coconut water, coconut oil, mango, banana, and 4 tablespoons of hemp powder for some protein. It makes two 16 oz. smoothies, and 1 fills you up pretty good. It'll flush the mercury and other metals out. I don't think it's wise for you to do a cleanse like that, it'll burn you out and make you feel like crud.
  • mikemastercorp
    Options
    Chrissyfitter, Hi. I have read your and other opinions and I shall say that despite the fact that I consider myself a bit as of a juice expert, I would also not recommend you doing that especially if you have the habit to loose and gain. Doing a juice cleanse is perfect, but why don't you do it the smart way? What I mean is simple and would not interfere with your daily nutritional intake. You would simply add to the meal some of your tasty green juices and substitute the water intake during meals with the green juices.

Please bear in mind, that if you decide to use sweet juices (as most of the people do nowadays :( ) you will suffer the consequences later on and that might start melting your muscle mass even faster.

Do it smart and you will hit your target, but this time you will keep on eating smart and would stay there FOREVER! I do not know anybody who have had problems drinking fresh green juices, but I have helped a lot of people recovering from improper understanding of Juice fast, so just stay on the safe side, cut some of your bad habits (one at a time) and enjoy your solid meals instead of praying for the end of this torture!
  • toronto_j
    toronto_j Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    The best way to "kick start" is by taking on healthy habits NOW, not latching on to another fad.
  • Therealobi1
    Therealobi1 Posts: 3,261 Member
    Options
    welcome. well done for making a start in changing habits. i started simply by logging all my foods. the shock of what i ate made me make changes. still wip but best thing i ever did. i also added 20 mins of exercise each day. you can give that a go. be patient and do not give up. personally not keen on the juicing. very best of luck. x
  • paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 8,984 Member
    Options

There are many "smoothies" with lots of "cleansing" veggies you could make for breakfast in the morning, and still eat regular food throughout the day. For example, I make a smoothie with romaine lettuce, cilantro, coconut water, coconut oil, mango, banana, and 4 tablespoons of hemp powder for some protein. It makes two 16 oz. smoothies, and 1 fills you up pretty good. It'll flush the mercury and other metals out. I don't think it's wise for you to do a cleanse like that, it'll burn you out and make you feel like crud.

I was with you, good breakfast if you are into that sort of thing , and eating regular food throughout the day - until I go to the bit about flushing mercury and other metals out.

It will do no such thing nor does such a thing need to be done.
  • galprincess
    galprincess Posts: 682 Member
    Options
    Hi

I did a juice fast to start my get fit and healthy regime 1 week isn't a fad diet its a kick start, once you come off juice fast may I also suggest adding veggies as the fruit is very high sugar even natural sugar the veggies also can counteract the strong citrus flavour too also brush teeth after juice as the acid isn't good.
    Once you come off fast id deffo aim to lose .5 lbs a week its working for me although I don't weigh weekly I have had mainly losses and im better than I have been on other diets etc also great advice and support here