Body Beast - any tips?

Options
kgeyser
kgeyser Posts: 22,505 Member
I'm starting Body Beast Lean Schedule on Monday and I'm looking for tips from those who have done the program. I am not going to be following the diet plan, just eating at a deficit for the entire program as my goals are to burn fat and increase strength. I have most of the equipment and right now my weights consist of dumbbells from 5-25 lbs in 5 lb increments. I have a few questions:

1. I think the dumbbells I have will probably be sufficient for most of the program for arms and shoulders, but I can see myself working past those weights pretty quickly with legs, chest, and back. Am I better off going with adjustable dumbbells or getting a barbell and some weights?

2. What did you like/dislike about the program? Were you happy with your results?

3. Am I at risk of dropping a dumbbell on my head from laughing at cheesy dialogue?

4. Any other things you think I should know before I start moving heavy things around?

Replies

• npatterson003
    npatterson003 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Hi. I am currently on day 9 of my Body Beast journey. The dumbbells that I had were 3, 5, 10, 15, and 20s. I found quickly that a 5 pound jump in some cases was a ***** much so I picked up some 8, 12, and 25 pound weights. If money is an issue then just buy weights as you go; however, if you can afford the 300'ish dollars to buy some Powerblocks or Bowflex SelecTech's then I suggest doing that as it will be cheaper in the long run and take up less space. I plan on buying some Powerblocks as soon as funds allow.

So far I give this program a 9 out 10. Some of the breaks are a little long, some not long enough (to me). I can't comment on the results....Yet.

You are at risk of dropping a dumbbell. Sagi makes faces when the other guys say what weight they are using, calls one of the guys Barbie, etc..

Write down the weights you use. Sagi will say this about 500,000 times in every video but it does help out tremendously. Any idea that just because you can curl a max of 45 pounds means you can start heavy you need to throw that out. The sets are setup like this:

15 reps of light weight
    12 reps of medium weight
    8 reps of heavy weight
    12 reps of medium weight

You may be able to curl 45 pounds a few times, but you have to remember you need to do it 8 times...After having already done 27 reps of lighter weights. Ugh....

So start a bit lighter than you think you should. Worst case, you'll know for the next time around that you need to up the weights. Keep a towel near by to wipe the sweat off your hands and weights and face. Be prepared to be sore. :)
  • kel7298
    kel7298 Posts: 1,542 Member
    Options
    ^^^ great advice!

So I take it you are now into your second week. I'm currently in the Bulk stage week 2. How do you like it?