Question about logging

Options
I have a question about logging..

Say you eat a bowl of cereal (measured) and you pour 1 cup of milk into it.
When you are done with the bowl of cereal there is still some milk left (if you don't drink).
Do you measure what's left and deduct from the 1 cup of milk or just log the extra calories and say screw it?

This question can pertain to more than just cereal, that was just the first example I came up with, lol.

Replies

• BadKittie05
    BadKittie05 Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    You leave milk in the bottom?? :huh: LOL

I would say to measure the milk in the bottom and deduct it, but I'm in to see what other suggest as well!
  • knra_grl
    knra_grl Posts: 1,568 Member
    Options
    Drink the milk left in the bottom, it's good for you.:ohwell:
  • susannamarie
    susannamarie Posts: 2,148 Member
    Options
    It would depend on how much milk is left and what your calorie deficit is.

If you've got an aggressive calorie deficit, I'd deduct it to make sure you're eating *enough*. If you've got a more moderate deficit, you could easily just say 'oh to heck with it'.
  • Tight_Fit
    Tight_Fit Posts: 453
    Options
    I don't drink the milk left in the bottom because I'm pregnant and my stomach is very sensitive right now. I can't handle anything but plain water and on occasion flavored seltzer water.
  • editorgrrl
    editorgrrl Posts: 7,060 Member
    Options
    Weigh your cereal, rather than measure it. And consider the milk left in the bowl as a little extra insurance that you're actually eating at a deficit.

Read this: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1080242-a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants
  • Tight_Fit
    Tight_Fit Posts: 453
    Options
    Weigh your cereal, rather than measure it. And consider the milk left in the bowl as a little extra insurance that you're actually eating at a deficit.

Read this: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1080242-a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants

haha I am in sexypants already, I'm just wondering how other people might log it and the benefits to their ways.
  • knra_grl
    knra_grl Posts: 1,568 Member
    Options
    I don't drink the milk left in the bottom because I'm pregnant and my stomach is very sensitive right now. I can't handle anything but plain water and on occasion flavored seltzer water.

In that case I would measure it - if it's not a substantial amount forget about it, and add that much less the next time you have cereal.:flowerforyou:
  • MelodyandBarbells
    MelodyandBarbells Posts: 7,725 Member
    Options
    All my plates end up licked clean, so this does not come up often. I do slice my apples into four and if I for some reason don't eat all of it, I'll weigh the rest and deduct it.
  • JTick
    JTick Posts: 2,131 Member
    Options
    It just depends. For something like milk, I'll say screw it, but I also drink 1% and just enough to wet my cereal.

Sometimes though I've calculated calories out for a meal, and end up not being able to eat it all. Instead of going through the hassle of calculating how many calories I should subtract, I just throw the food in a leftover container and it's free calories whenever I want them. They've already been counted, I'll just eat them at a later time. Over time, it doesn't matter.
  • BadKittie05
    BadKittie05 Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    All my plates end up licked clean, so this does not come up often...

This is me! That's why I was confused when she said that she leaves food behind. Of course, having been through two pregnancies myself, I fully understand the sensitivity a stomach can go through!:flowerforyou:
  • nenshali
    nenshali Posts: 331 Member
    Options
    I logg it and say "screw it". But I tend to overestimate my kcal intake in general. Before I started measuring oil for example, what I thought are 10-15g are actually 5g or less. So I often had a smaller intake than I realized.
    But I make up for it by allowing myself some small treats even though they are over my kcal limit. "It will even out" I always think :laugh:
  • wyllden
    wyllden Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    I would probably only deduct it again if I was desperate to stay within the green. If I was under anyway then would leave it.
  • xmichaelyx
    xmichaelyx Posts: 883 Member
    Options
    Everything we do here is an estimate. Even if you're measuring and weighing everything, you're only getting an estimate (although it'll be a better estimate than someone who isn't).

Forget the leftover milk, just as I forget the leftover chili that my cat licks out of the bowl every night. :-)
  • beautifulwarrior18
    beautifulwarrior18 Posts: 914 Member
    Options
    I deduct because I will have over half the milk left in the bowl as I do not drink milk.
  • GertrudeHorse
    GertrudeHorse Posts: 646 Member
    Options
    Why not just pour less milk on your cereal in the first place?
  • calajane
    calajane Posts: 52
    Options
    I eat everything left on my plate. Once it's measured and I"m in my deficit, every calorie is precious...
  • JeffBrown3
    JeffBrown3 Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    I use to wonder the same thing, but then I started using half the milk... One cup of cereal and 1/2 Cup of milk. Just the right amount. No waste and less calories.