I'm new please help me get off to a good start

What should I be doing first?

Replies

• Pajke
    Pajke Posts: 10 Member
    Hey, welcome to MFP.

Assuming your goal is to lose weight, get off to a good start by evaluating how much weight you need to lose. Also log your daily intake it's a really great way to keep track, the database is huge.

Weight loss is really about energy in and energy out.

Here's a good guideline for determining a loss per week goal:

20 lbs or less to lose: .5 lb loss per week
    20 - 50 lbs to lose: 1 lb loss per week
    50 – 75 lbs to lose: 1.5 lb loss per week
    75 lbs or more to lose: 2 lb loss per week

Don't starve yourself, your metabolism gets ruined. If you need motivation the message boards have a lot of active and great people!
  • Krikit34
    Krikit34 Posts: 125 Member
    Welcome!
    Start by logging everything. Add friends - that is the best way to find support. I would suggest filling in your profile so people know a little bit about you. I personally think it is also most helpful to have friends who have open diaries. I've got a group of great friends who give each other TONS of encouragement.
  • honestyloverespect
    honestyloverespect Posts: 13 Member
    I'm new as well. How did you post to this message board?
  • gypsy_spirit
    gypsy_spirit Posts: 2,107 Member
    Read this:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1175494-a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants

Then:
    In order to lose weight you have to be in a calorie deficit.

In order to know if you're in a calorie deficit, you have to weigh (with a scale)/measure/log your food- every bite/every day.

Exercise is important to health, but not necessary to lose weight. Find something you enjoy and do it consistently.

Eat foods you like, make healthy choices along the way, learn portion control/moderation

Meet your calorie deficit, then work on meeting your macros (protein, fat, carbs)

Have patience.
  • 1stday13
    1stday13 Posts: 433 Member
    Welcome!!
    All of the reply's are great and ones I would have suggested also. Another thing for me is variety and lots of different foods. My diary is always open for ideas. Good luck on your journey. Feel free to read my profile and if you think we have things in common and can be a support to one another, please send a friend request
    :flowerforyou: