Bad meal - Skip 1 week weigh in?

Options
Ok so this week I will be going to a buffet, havent been in ages, Ive lost near 40lbs since January. I have been logging every week, but I am the kind of person that gets discouraged easy by this kinda stuff. I am also going out drinking a few times. Is it best for my own peace of mind to just skip checking my weight for 2 weeks, as I know the rest of the time I will be eating as I usually do, so I will lose weight. And the extra water weight I will undoubtedly gain will discourage me (Even though I know it will go , it has before!)
Opinions ? Cheers

Replies

• sentaruu
    sentaruu Posts: 2,206 Member
    Options
    hold off on weighing yourself then. but still make sure you log everything
  • Branstin
    Branstin Posts: 2,320 Member
    Options
    I think you should enjoy yourself but I have one question. Why 2 weeks? I don't think you are going to eat that much. LOL!
  • jmsspr93
    jmsspr93 Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    Because I log the weight every monday, I check every friday, but there will be several times throughout the fortnight (more early in the second week) that I will be drinking seeing friends etc so I want enough time for the water weight to come off and not effect my reading.
  • Branstin
    Branstin Posts: 2,320 Member
    Options
    Oh, ok, I was thinking about just the buffet and didn't think you would eat enough for 2 weeks. LOL!

Well, you have lost almost 40lbs so treat yourself.
  • PunkyRachel
    PunkyRachel Posts: 1,959 Member
    Options
    I usually weigh every Saturday morning, unless I'm on my period. If I had a bad food week. I will log that half pound or pound I gain. You never know that binge might also make you drop a pound or 2. Its happened to me, after a night a drinking or a very high calorie day with family. I've stepped on the scale expecting the number to go up, but it went down instead. Now this isn't always the case but if you don't weigh in you'll never know
  • animalldy
    animalldy Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    You could temporarily move your weigh-in day. I give myself 2-3 days after a big meal or drinking before weighing in and that seems to be enough time to reflect an accurate weight.
  • aqualeo1
    aqualeo1 Posts: 331 Member
    Options
    I say skip it. If it's just one meal it's not gonna make a difference in the long run but the water weight might make you panic.
  • tiggerlgh
    tiggerlgh Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    Do what works best for you. I weigh in most days as it keeps me motivate (even with the gains an losses), some do it weekly, some monthly. There is no right answer so do what is best for you.
  • Keepcalmanddontblink
    Keepcalmanddontblink Posts: 718 Member
    Options
    Ok so this week I will be going to a buffet, havent been in ages, Ive lost near 40lbs since January. I have been logging every week, but I am the kind of person that gets discouraged easy by this kinda stuff. I am also going out drinking a few times. Is it best for my own peace of mind to just skip checking my weight for 2 weeks, as I know the rest of the time I will be eating as I usually do, so I will lose weight. And the extra water weight I will undoubtedly gain will discourage me (Even though I know it will go , it has before!)
    Opinions ? Cheers
    Nope. I'd put on my big girl panties and face the music. Its good training for when we go into maintenance and still keep an eye on what we are eating, and weighing in. I have a feeling, you will still make good choices if you need to check in. :flowerforyou:
  • curiology
    curiology Posts: 15
    Options
    Just do what will give you peace of mind. I know if I eat a particularly salty meal the night before my weigh in, I will leave it an extra day and drink a little more water to flush it out before weighing, as I get despondent seeing gains I know I have caused!
    If it makes you happier to wait, then wait! If you don't, and you see a gain and get down, it could trigger a binge or a loss of motivation and you've done so well already there's no need to risk it
  • kgeyser
    kgeyser Posts: 22,505 Member
    Options
    Weigh yourself as usual. Think about why you would chose to skip it. To not see a temporary increase? That's like attempting to pretend the buffet and drinks never happened, when it did. I'm not saying don't go out and enjoy yourself but to do things to not remind yourself that the event happened is unnecessary.

+1. Weigh-in as usual, use the number as a learning experience, ie this is how your weight fluctuates when you have days when you go over. You have to be accountable to succeed.
  • BigGuy47
    BigGuy47 Posts: 1,768 Member
    Options
    Whatever you're doing it appears to be working. Keep it up an enjoy yourself.
  • Will_Thrust_For_Candy
    Will_Thrust_For_Candy Posts: 6,109 Member
    Options
    Weigh yourself as usual. Think about why you would chose to skip it. To not see a temporary increase? That's like attempting to pretend the buffet and drinks never happened, when it did. I'm not saying don't go out and enjoy yourself but to do things to not remind yourself that the event happened is unnecessary.

+1. Weigh-in as usual, use the number as a learning experience, ie this is how your weight fluctuates when you have days when you go over. You have to be accountable to succeed.

I do agree with this. While sometimes seeing an increase on the scale can be frustrating, it's part of life. The scale will always fluctuate. Going out and enjoying this buffet and drinks with friends is part of your regular life. It's important from the mental aspect of weight loss to really understand that you can enjoy these things and then get back to it the next day and no harm no foul.

Enjoy your social time, log your food, step on the scale and use it all as a learning opportunity to set yourself up for future success :smile: :drinker: :flowerforyou:
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    Options
    If you really get discouraged by the number, skip it, although I personally wouldn't. I actually weigh myself an extra 3-5 times a week in between my "official" weigh-ins in all kinds of times and events (after a big meal, after a busy day, when stressed, when my sodium intake exceeds limit for the day, when I don't feel like eating much... etc) just to learn more about my personal weight trends so that I don't panic if I happen to see a high number. Knowledge is power.