going raw?

Options
124»

Replies

• nikkihk
    nikkihk Posts: 487 Member
    Options
    I really love the discussion going on here! But seriously I don't consider this a highly restrictive diet. If I decide to do this in the long run, I'll aim for whole raw foods. That doesn't mean that I'll never have cooked food or treats again. I'll just do do with control and moderation. I know how to happy with my meal choices and I know better than to beat myself up over eating food that doesn't fit in the parameters of my diet lifestyle:)

I also believe that the only way to be sure of something is to try! Science, just like each and every one of us is flawed, and while I don't desire to prove science wrong, I do want to experiment as to what makes my body happy and healthy.

Science might** be flawed, but using your body to disprove what years of carefully monitored research by professionally educated medical practitioners and scientists provides seems dangerous and irresponsible to suggest to others without also providing the possible medically researched negative side effects (and or stating barely researched facts as truths). Experiment away!! Just please be responsible with what solutions to lifestyle you share with others in a public forum. Understand, my biggest concern isn't necessarily your choice to go raw. My concern is for the new comer with a bad relationship with food who stumbles on your thread and decides without searching further that this is a good option for him/her when he/she has yet to understand what a good relationship with food is in the first place.

People deserve to know that your personal choices have the possibility to damage them if they follow suit, and "Science is flawed" isn't really a great defense to support anything you've posted thus far. How you feel isn't really a great substitute for medical studies. Just an example: You would have no idea if your diet lowered your lycopene levels, it manifests no noticeable side effects, but leaves you that much more susceptible to growing forms of cancer... and that's one nasty thing to get because you were stubborn about heating up a tomato. Extreme? Yes... but it's the truth.
  • _Terrapin_
    _Terrapin_ Posts: 4,302 Member
    Options
    Sorry that was so freaking long... =/

It wasn't that long....
  • Iwishyouwell
    Iwishyouwell Posts: 1,888 Member
    Options
    All the benefits you can gain from going raw can be reached by infusing your diet with a lot more fruits and vegetables. There is no need to go fully raw in order to enjoy the nutritional advantages of having more raw, nutritious foods along side your cooked food. You can have a moderately to heavily plant based diet, and still enjoy cooked food, meat, and other vegan "no-nos".

Incidentally, despite claims to the contrary, not a single one of the words centenarians are vegan, much less 100% raw.

But hey, if you enjoy going fully raw, and it's not restrictive to you, enjoy. I'm all for doing what works for you!
  • abble_pie
    abble_pie Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    Check out pinterest for great raw food recipes. Doesn't have to be boring! If you are looking for protein, Garden of Life offers a raw protein powder (vegan). I have it in Vanilla and it's not bad. You might want to check that out, you can add it to fruit/veggie smoothies
  • lizzyclatworthy
    lizzyclatworthy Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    I am thinking of going Rawr

like a dinosaur
  • zillah73
    zillah73 Posts: 505 Member
    Options
    Are you scared of food or hate food or your body so much that you would want to live like like that forever? Why? That's no fun. That is suffering. Don't worry I've been down a similar road and turned a corner. Try to find a nice balance.

I find the assumption that this or similar dietary lifestyles are somehow suffering fascinating. I am not singling you out – I get it in my day-to-day life all the time and I am not even a raw foodist. I think what people don't understand is that I love everything about the way I eat. I love planning meals, I love shopping, I love prepping my meals, I love knowing my food choices are the best choices I can make for my body, for animals and for the planet. As excited as some people get about plates full of bacon, I get that excited about steamed greens and I am not the only one. Nothing disordered about it and no suffering at all.

Suffering is what I saw when I spent a week with my mom after her heart valve replacement, gently washing her incision as she winced in pain and shame for having to have her daughter help her shower and use the toilet, following her slowly around the store as she pushed a shopping cart just to be able to stand up. My mom had open heart surgery as a result of congestive heart failure – a direct result of her own dietary choices. I have no judgement towards her or anyone else, but I certainly don't want to be walking in those shoes one day and certainly not at 67.
  • jakeya16
    jakeya16 Posts: 40
    Options
    I am thinking of going Rawr

like a dinosaur
    I think that may be the best thing to do here!
  • cinnamonkitty
    Options
    Actually ,carrots get darker when you cook them because more carotene is being released. Soybeans must be cooked to make their protein available so they can be absorbed by the human body. Vitamin C can be affected by heat from cooking so citrus fuit shouldn't be cooked. The difference between raw and cooked oatmeal is only about 1 gram of fiber.

It's not as simple as raw foodists would have us believe. If you want to go on the diet do more research on the facts of food cooking before you go ahead with it.

And of course the diet is very expensive so that should be considered as well. Good luck!
  • jakeya16
    Options
    please let it be known that I'm not trying to Convince anyone that I know more then science in fact I know very little about science! I do however know that by going raw I'm not doing any bodily harm to myself.
    When it comes to people who have a bad relationship with food, this post has as much power as a blog, sticker on the internet or any fad diet that is available on the web. With that being said I can't be held responsible for anyone who decides to make this transition without being fully informed and educated has only themselves to blame.
  • randomtai
    randomtai Posts: 9,003 Member
    Options
    Going raw like this?

tumblr_m5xkhwp1Cr1qiglz6o1_500.gif
  • SunofaBeach14
    SunofaBeach14 Posts: 4,932 Member
    Options
    please let it be known that I'm not trying to Convince anyone that I know more then science in fact I know very little about science! I do however know that by going raw I'm not doing any bodily harm to myself.
    When it comes to people who have a bad relationship with food, this post has as much power as a blog, sticker on the internet or any fad diet that is available on the web. With that being said I can't be held responsible for anyone who decides to make this transition without being fully informed and educated has only themselves to blame.

i·ro·ny1
    ˈīrənē,ˈiərnē/
    noun
    the expression of one's meaning by using language that normally signifies the opposite, typically for humorous or emphatic effect.
    "“Don't go overboard with the gratitude,” he rejoined with heavy irony"
    synonyms: sarcasm, causticity, cynicism, mockery, satire, sardonicism More
  • Natmarie73
    Natmarie73 Posts: 287 Member
    Options
    Advice: Don't go raw...

This, because, well you know, you're not allowed to do what you want with your body and all.

Sheesh
  • DYELB
    DYELB Posts: 7,407 Member
    Options
    Fact: if people didn't take one for the team and go raw from time to time, the human race would cease to exist
  • usmc01462
    usmc01462 Posts: 1,944 Member
    Options
    Just do what works for you. I have tried them all. Just to see how they each work.
  • jakeya16
    Options

i·ro·ny1
    ˈīrənē,ˈiərnē/
    noun
    the expression of one's meaning by using language that normally signifies the opposite, typically for humorous or emphatic effect.
    "“Don't go overboard with the gratitude,” he rejoined with heavy irony"
    synonyms: sarcasm, causticity, cynicism, mockery, satire, sardonicism More
    Definitely not the first time I've been called out for irony;)
  • samamps88
    samamps88 Posts: 52
    Options
    If you call this a fad diet then you must consider veganism, vegetarianism, gluten free, diabetic, etc. To be fad diets because as you said were created by someone who had to 'create the parameters' for the diet.

Wrong

Veganism= herbivore, vegetarianism can be seen in nature too for example there are plenty of animals that dint eat meat but will eat eggs etc.

Gluten free, diabetic these were done for medical reasons, (if someone followsthem to lose weight then that would be a fad diet, but if they are diabetic it is to stop them dying)

The reason the way you described the raw food movement is the reason I called it fad, if you want to eat raw food you may not by definition heat your food at all food must be consumed as it falls off the tree or comes out of the ground etc Changing it in any way makes it not raw.

This isnt a discussion as to whether it is good or not it is a discussion on the meaning of the word raw
  • KMC1012
    KMC1012 Posts: 20
    Options
    Just do what works for you. I have tried them all. Just to see how they each work.

Perfect comment.
  • chatogal
    chatogal Posts: 436 Member
    Options
    My two pennies worth: I find any diet that is referred to as having "rules" is my definition of a "fad" diet!
    Secondly, on a personal note, seriously no bread...EVER??
  • laiuka926
    laiuka926 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I think that what you want to do with YOUR diet is your business. It would be irresponsible to promote it to others without also promoting to them to research it first. This could be very dangerous for someone who doesn't know what they are doing.

You seem to have looked into it but, I encourage you to continue your researching. Don't just experiment blindly with your body. Love yourself enough to do that. I think that is important for everyone.

Everyone who is just being plain negative here should just back off. Being mean or rude is not encouraging anyone to make healthy choices about what they eat. There are good and bad to just about any kind of diet.

Just be sure that you are getting information from different sources and learn what nutrition is. Don't take one persons word for it. Be aware of what your body needs. While we are all different, we do all need proper nutrition to thrive.