Daily Problem: Very Hunger or Not Hungry At All

Options
So, I have an issue that I think is causing me to overeat.

I am 160 pounds, 5' 4" and a 19 year old female. I'm trying to only eat 1330 calories (as well as exercising, and trying not to eat back those extra calories), and it is tough! I can admit that very often I eat out simply because I am out. Today, I did eat out once, but I chose a Subway breakfast sandwich, which I didn't think was bad. The rest of what I have been eating today so far was, I thought, healthy. But I'm already at over 1,800 calories, and it's only about 2/3 through the day for me!

Many days are like these: I feel like I am constantly hungry.

Other (but fewer) days: I'm not that hungry at all, and it is somewhat easy to stay within my calorie range.

How do I manage this? I've been eating a lot of peanut butter and banana sandwiches lately, which I thought were healthy... But I guess not. Still, fruits and veggies will fill me up, but only for what feels like 15 minutes. What could be wrong?

EDIT: Some things I should mention: I still struggle with some sweets, so I understand some of that causes the larger calorie numbers. But it isn't the majority or even a large portion of what I eat; the "healthier" things seem to be racking up even more calories.

Replies

• KarenJanine
    KarenJanine Posts: 3,497 Member
    Options
    Open your diary so we can see what else you're eating.

How is your protein, fat and fibre intake? These are the most important types of food when it comes to satiety.

And don't be afraid of eating back your exercise calories, especially as you are hungry. Depriving yourself is not a recipe for long term success.
  • rosestring
    rosestring Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    Opened. However, I got out of the habit of tracking for a little while. But today's is in there.
  • corgarian
    corgarian Posts: 366 Member
    Options
    open your diary

What did you have with your subway sandwich? What kind was it. they range between 300-800 calories alone (ex subway employee)

You are allowed to eat back some of your workout calories, and if you are working ou and depending on the kind of workouts your doing 1330 calories doesnt sound like enough.
    I eat between 1600-2000 calories a day and am still losing.

Listen to your body. If your not hungry, dont eat, if you are, eat.
  • thatismesammyg
    thatismesammyg Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    You haven't eaten any vegetables or fruits today? Aim for 6 servings a day and fill up on 3 liters of water. You won't be nearly as hungry if you're eating more fibrous food.
  • healthygreek
    healthygreek Posts: 2,137 Member
    Options
    MFP is set up so that you should eat back at least 1/2-3/4 and even all of your exercise calories if you are hungry.
    You will still be at a deficit if you are WEIGHING and logging every morsel you ingest!
    That is the way to weightloss success!!!
  • neandermagnon
    neandermagnon Posts: 7,436 Member
    Options
    sounds like you're not eating enough. Sometimes not eating enough can make your appetite shut down temporarily then come back with avengence later on. Sounds like this is what's happening to you.

Eat more. At least eat back your exercise calories. The calorie deficit is already built in so you lose even if you do no exercise and just stick to your calorie goal. So eating back your exercise calories won't stop you from losing weight. It's actually help to ensure the weight you lose is just fat, and not muscle or bone density (i.e. exercising and eating a sufficient amount of calories and protein all are necessary for that). Too big a deficit is counterproductive for many reasons including the fact that you get too hungry and prone to unplanned overeating or even binge eating. Keep your deficit simple and aim to lose fat slowly and steadily. Focus on health and long term success. You're nineteen, you have your whole life ahead of you. Don't make yourself unhappy with excessive dieting. You don't have to feel deprived or hungry to succeed at this.
  • Miamiuu
    Miamiuu Posts: 262 Member
    Options
    Why are you eating so much for breakfast? All that was eaten for breakfast? Id recommend you be aware that you spread your calories through out the day more. I cant imagine eating all that around the same time.
  • rosestring
    Options
    Okay, a few things.

1. I don't log in my fruits/veggies. I ate two bananas today, and seven strawberries. I thought that was plenty of fruit. I guess I need more fruits/veggies, but even when I do eat them, I still never feel satisfied. Is there some way to balance it? Do I have to MAINLY eat fruits and veggies?

2. Sorry, I accidentally logged almost everything in for breakfast. Obviously, I need to be more careful about that.

3. Anyone have any general tips as to how I should eat? Like, in general. For example, I've started eating bread again and have noticed that I seem more bloated and weigh a little more again. How much bread can you eat per day without it messing you up? Is one serving (or two slices of bread) a day going to hurt my weight loss goal?

I want to look good for the summer, but I don't feel like I can do it...
  • mortuseon
    mortuseon Posts: 579 Member
    Options
    Okay, a few things.

1. I don't log in my fruits/veggies. I ate two bananas today, and seven strawberries. I thought that was plenty of fruit. I guess I need more fruits/veggies, but even when I do eat them, I still never feel satisfied. Is there some way to balance it? Do I have to MAINLY eat fruits and veggies?

2. Sorry, I accidentally logged almost everything in for breakfast. Obviously, I need to be more careful about that.

3. Anyone have any general tips as to how I should eat? Like, in general. For example, I've started eating bread again and have noticed that I seem more bloated and weigh a little more again. How much bread can you eat per day without it messing you up? Is one serving (or two slices of bread) a day going to hurt my weight loss goal?

I want to look good for the summer, but I don't feel like I can do it...

Any food works in terms of loss if it fits your calorie goal. But it might be useful for you to track macronutrients too (carbs, fat, protein) for adequate nutrition. You can change your macronutrient goals - for example, mine are set at 40/30/30 carbs/fat/protein, but see what works for you.
    Try working more vegetables into your meals - this doesn't necessarily mean salads, but vegetable-based sauces, stir-fries, soups...you can add vegetables to most meals and they'll help to up your fibre + micronutrients for relatively few calories.
  • acogg
    acogg Posts: 1,870 Member
    Options
    Are you getting in at least 100 grams of protein? Do that every day for a week and report back.
  • neandermagnon
    neandermagnon Posts: 7,436 Member
    Options
    the most filling foods are protein, fat and fibre. Carbs are usually not filling although some people find wholegrain carbs filling.

The first step is to ensure your calorie goal isn't too low, the next step is to eat more protein. Foods with both protein and fat/oil are good, e.g. whole eggs, meat, fish. More fibre especially from fruit and veg, it also more filling. But the main one is protein.
  • KarenJanine
    KarenJanine Posts: 3,497 Member
    Options

You really should log everything. Those bananas and strawberries could add up to around 250 cals, depending on size/weight, which isn't huge amount but would significantly decrease your deficit.
  • Madame_Goldbricker
    Madame_Goldbricker Posts: 1,625 Member
    Options
    If you have high/low days you could cycle your calorie intake over a week instead of daily.
    If you don't want to eat back your calories burnt then log your burns as 1 but up your daily goal.
    If you find you have bloating after bread you maybe gluten intolerant (I have ibs & it triggers mine).
    Nothing wrong with eating anything IIFIYM.
    Try taking pre prepared foods to work so you know how much you'll eat.
    Or pre log a day in advance.
    Peanut butter is delicious & healthy but high in cals watch your intakes.
    Have a look on the recipe boards if you are struggling for ideas.
    Nothing wrong with eating most cals in the morning (if it works for you). You could try a big breakfast/salad-soup lunch/bigger dinner.
    Keep your water intake up.
    Log consistently & don't beat yourself up if you go over.

*I can't post link off my phone but have a look at the 'sexy pants getting started thread' its pinned.
  • geebusuk
    geebusuk Posts: 3,348 Member
    Options
    Two bananas - easily 200 or more calories there.

Yesterday I ate about 1370 calories. NET calories that is (when exercise is taken away). If it had been gross calories I'd have been extremely hungry - I actually put about 3570 calories into my mouth.

All my exercise was measured with a HRM (and cycle sensors) so reasonably accurate.

As you're not logging everything, some days you may be eating a fair bit and presumably not adding exercise, others you may be eating not much and exercise ontop of that.

I don't log everything I have to admit - do log fruit, but don't salad, nor samples in supermarkets and so on. But I'm happy with progress and results - if I wasn't, I would start by logging everything to see if there's a pattern :).
  • rosestring
    Options
    Damn, I didn't realize how many calories were in fruit! I guess I will have to just log in absolutely everything. Sorry, I'm still kind of new to this.

However, are prepackaged meals really okay? I've heard there's just so much junk in those that it's unhealthy.

I haven't really been watching how much protein I'm eating. I have a habit of thinking "I'll have some peanut butter, which has protein, but only a little since it is so high in fat!" so I will definitely keep an eye out for more protein.

Thanks to everyone! I will try to post back in a week or so once I try to adjust a little more.
  • geebusuk
    geebusuk Posts: 3,348 Member
    Options
    The concept of 'healthy and unhealthy' is entirely relative to your needs.

If you've bought a box of thirty of your favourite ready meals and just eaten those, then having another probably isn't very "healthy" because you need a range of microntrients. But the same could be said for fruit.

If someone has told you they have "junk" in and are "unhealthy", I'd suggest they aren't conversant with the basics of nutrition :).
  • melissarmonroe
    melissarmonroe Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    I eat a lean cuisine type meal almost every day for lunch. They are low in calories, but they are super high in sodium, so that is something to think about. However, I find eating something like that that is portion controlled and labeled for nutrition is the only way I can accurately log and stay with in my goals. I add a pudding and applesauce or fruit cup with it. I know a lot of people knock them for their sodium content, but I've been losing, about 1.5 lbs a week this month and again, have one everyday at lunch at work. Just drink lots and lots of water too!