Where do I start with fitness - 130 lbs plus to loose

Options
Let me introduce myself: Call me NewDay; I thought that would be a good name to log in with every day to remind myself that today and every day is a new day; a fresh beginning every day! I'm a 56 year old mother of 3 grown children, grandmother of 3 who are the light of my life, wife of my high school sweet heart for 38 years, with a full time office job. I've been overweight my entire adult life. I was diagnosed with Hashimoto's Thyroid Disease (a special kind of Hypothyroidism) in my early 40's after years and years of concerns expressed to my doctors that I felt lethargic all the time and gained weight for no reason. FINALLY one of them tested me, so I've been on meds since then.

I'm the kind of person that needs structure. I belong to the YMCA, but I haven't been there in over a year. I would go again, but I don't know what to do when I get there, so I just walk on the tredmill for a while, then I'll get on the eliptical until I"m sweating profusely and about to have a stroak, then I walk around the track a little, then I stretch a little. Sometimes I get on the machines, but there is no rhyme or reason to what I get on and how many times I repeat things. Are you supposed to do aerobic excercise one day and strengthing exercises the next day? I am lost; I am a fitness dummy.

So, right now I'm the heavyest I've ever been, and more out of shape than I've ever been. I signed up for myfitnesspal.com, I'm having no problems logging my food, but I am having problems starting the fitness part.

What's a good beginning workout for someone that gets out of breath walking up a slight incline of about 500 feet? I just need a plan.

Thanks!

Replies

• deksgrl
    deksgrl Posts: 7,237 Member
    Options
    I'd suggest just walking. Walk for as long as you can, maybe that is just 5 minutes or 10 minutes.

Check out this video, you can do it in the privacy of your own home:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=df2gn6-w0dE

Maybe you can't do the whole thing, just do as much as you can and tomorrow try to do 1 minute more. If you CAN do the entire thing, and it is easy, she has other longer videos.
  • Fuzzipeg
    Fuzzipeg Posts: 2,301 Member
    Options
    You have made a good start by coming here. There is a group for thyroid people both hypo and hyper. The best exercise I have is chasing about after the grand children (9 of them, 24 down to-2 with two within 12 months) I'm doing battle with thyroid etc too.

If you can pluck up the courage to return to the gym you could ask for and induction appointment to introduce you to the place. Then treat yourself to one session with a fitness instructor, they will ask what you want to achieve and advise you on the best way to achieve it. I used to like to spend a while after a session in the pool.

All the very best on your way into a new life. Be a brave New Day
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    I'd suggest just walking. Walk for as long as you can, maybe that is just 5 minutes or 10 minutes.

Check out this video, you can do it in the privacy of your own home:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=df2gn6-w0dE

Maybe you can't do the whole thing, just do as much as you can and tomorrow try to do 1 minute more. If you CAN do the entire thing, and it is easy, she has other longer videos.

Yes!^ ..........In the same category.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=otzetqGQ8bE&list=PLIWyiVXT2tZUdu0_KABytR0_ZKLXeJpGD

These are a great way to build. Most of these are low impact too, or very easy to modify.
  • lwestcott1
    lwestcott1 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Walking and swimming are the two best low impact exercises to get you headed in the right direction. Pool walking or using a boogie board and kicking laps is awesome exercise that isn't too strenuous. It's important when starting out to keep the heart rate low. If you get out of breath, slow down or stop until you catch your breath. Just don't overdo it. I think the suggestion of treating yourself to a session with a trainer is a fantastic idea. Good luck!
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Options
    NewDay: The basic recipe to improve your health is very simple:

1. Count your calories, and this means every bite and swallow. Take in fewer calories than you burn in exercise and daily activities. Be patient with this process. I've had many plateaus along the way but just kept going.
    2. Move more, and keep records of your exercise.
    3. Stop by here frequently for moral support.
    4. Every day is a new day. If you go over one day forgive yourself and get on with doing the right thing.

Start exercising with the easy and enjoyable. I started with walking and yoga. I’m no yoga expert, so I take a class. I would not recommend a yoga DVD. You really need to have the benefit of a teacher who can see what you’re doing. I’m still doing both, plus cycling. I like the exercises and it is easy to motivate myself to do them daily. I use a stopwatch to time my exercises, but I have many friends who prefer a pedometer. These women record every step and challenge themselves to do more. If you want to go to a gym, I recommend that you pay a trainer to help you set up a sequence of exercises that make sense for you. Some gyms will have a trainer who will give you one complimentary lesson and you need to pay after that. I have worked out at a gym and needed the help of professionals there to learn to use the machines correctly. I’m not going there now due to an injury from a fall on black ice.

Good luck to you.
    Katla

“Our greatest weakness lies in giving up. The most certain way to succeed is always to try just one more time.” Thomas A. Edison
  • NewDay8257
    NewDay8257 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone for all of the tips! I had a little epiphany today. I have dropped 6.5 lbs in just 4 days of counting calories, and even though I know it's just the first week bonus weight loss, I FEEL so much better and there's a pep in my step! I have energy to actually be more active. Maybe it's best just to focus on the calories at first and then start on the fitness, I feel like I could definitely take a walk now and enjoy it! I do plan on going back to the Y and working with a trainer for a while to get me started in the right path. I also want to work up the stamina to be able to do an hour of ZUMBA like I was able to a couple of years ago. I'm excited and looking forward to the fitness phase!

Thanks again!
  • editorgrrl
    editorgrrl Posts: 7,060 Member
    Options
    I have Hashimoto's, too. MFP has a Hypothyroidism and Hyperthyroidism group: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/forums/show/770-hypothyroidism-and-hyperthyroidism

I lost way more slowly than most MFPers, so be patient! But I lost it just like everybody else—by eating at a deficit.

Read this: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1080242-a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants
  • NewDay8257
    NewDay8257 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I have been so frustrated by slow weight loss in the past, that's why I have tried and failed so many times. My emphasis this time isn't going to be about numbers, although working so hard and not seeing the scale move is SO maddening! I think I'll just officially weigh myself once a month, that way maybe I can trick my mind into being happy for a pound or two. I have had the same experience with having to eat less than everyone else too. It doesn't seem fair does it? The good thing is that I can not stuff myself at a meal - I am so uncomfortable even feeling full. I am not a big eater by any means, so just changing to healthier food choices has been easy, and delicious! Thanks for all of the info - I will definitely use all of the tools I can!
  • BrainyBurro
    BrainyBurro Posts: 6,129 Member
    Options
    get in the habit of ACCURATELY and HONESTLY logging everything.

start walking. just moving more is enough to start burning calories. you don't have to go nuts at the gym on an elliptical. just get outside and walk.

you'd be surprised how much difference those two things can make at the beginning.

then be patient. stick with it. it took time to put that weight on, it's gonna take time to drop it.

here's one of many short and to the point introductions to the process...

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1235566-so-you-re-new-here

weight loss is all about watching your calories and maintaining a daily calorie deficit.

nutrition is all about tracking your micro- and macronutrients and having a varied dietary intake.

fitness is all about cardio and strength training.
  • chevy88grl
    chevy88grl Posts: 3,937 Member
    Options
    In my opinion, getting your food under control is the best place to start. Once you've been eating at a deficit for awhile and have a grasp on what you need to do food-wise, then add in exercise. Start slowly. Walk slowly on the treadmill and move the speed up slowly as your endurance increases. There's no rush. This isn't a race.

Good Luck!
  • Sleevarilla
    Sleevarilla Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    At our age (I'm right behind you), if we aren't building muscle then we are losing muscle. If you can, hire a personal trainer to teach you how to strength train without injuring yourself. A personal trainer will also give you the structured plan you said you'd like. Walking is fantastic, as others have told you. Just keep pushing yourself, but also listen to your body. You don't want to side-line your accomplishments with an injury. Good luck!
  • KourtneyP83
    KourtneyP83 Posts: 319
    Options
    Does the YMCA offer group fitness classes like Zumba? My gym does and I LOVE group fitness! So motivating! I go to a group fitness class at least once a day. My gym offers tons of them though. I also like to do the elliptical and then I lift weights in the "circuit" room 3 times a week. I have a girl from work that I go with and we motivate each other. Maybe you could see if there is someone else at the gym that needs a buddy that is also committed and you guys could help each other along. Good luck!
  • princessariane
    princessariane Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I am also at the heaviest I've been (started at 240) and slowly working my way down. I have a desk job, have hobbies like reading and genealogy and sewing and everything inactive.
    I joined MFP to be a support for a friend - and ended up it helped me. I have been doing well logging, and was happy to see it slowly coming off. But I get discouraged on those days when it stays or goes up. So I broke down and bought a pedometer. One of those fancy $50 fitbit zips. Let me tell you, that has made the difference. It gives me a daily goal (10K steps, 5 miles, 30 active minutes etc), syncs with MFP, and I have synced with other programs like Walgreens steps, Sears FitStudio, Achievement.com, Earndit, and Every Move to kind of "earn" back what I spent on this thing. I can't do long term goals - too unrealistic, far away, and I'm at a loss to meet them. But daily ones I can handle. I have met my goal every day for the past 60+ days but 2 (when I was sick), and I am now at 30 pounds lost since the beginning of the year. And I've even started to jog to try and get to my goal faster (for like 2 minutes at a time, and really it's just a fast walk), but I have always always hated running, so I'm impressed with myself.
    The good thing about the Y is the staff. Ask if you can have your Health Consultation again and they'll test your fitness level, help you set goals, and go over how to use the equipment. I think I want to join a gym for the classes once I get my fitness level up, but for now I'm happy with having a good walking workout.
    Good luck, and good job on what you've accomplished so far!
  • GeminiFitness1
    GeminiFitness1 Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    I would try and use a bike especially if walking is difficult either upright or recumbent. You want to start slow. Try 10 minutes. If you get short of breath do what you can. Each time you come into the gym go 30 seconds longer. Starting slowly is a good way.