I gained 8 pounds over night! :(

Options
2»

Replies

• 1ZenGirl
    1ZenGirl Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    I have been using myfitnesspal to track exercise and what I eat, in the hopes of loosing 10-12 pounds. I have been netting at 1300 calories per day, and as of yesterday had dropped 4.5 pounds in one week! But, last night I are out (taco salad) and had 2.5 glasses of wine... This mornin I weighed myself and have gained 8 pounds overnight!!!! That's 3 pounds heavier than I was when I first started a week ago! I feel so discouraged :(

unless you managed to consumed 28,000 calories in one night then this is not a real gain …just water weight…

you should really only weigh in once a week, at the same time and day ...

Wow 28,000 calories.....might be fun to try....:smile:
  • Anonycatgirl
    Anonycatgirl Posts: 502 Member
    Options
    And this is why I didn't weigh myself this morning. That big dinner and the glasses of wine last night were delicious and worth going over my calories, but even though I know any weight gain is water and temporary, I'd still freak. So I'm drinking lots of water and doing some extra yoga.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    I have been using myfitnesspal to track exercise and what I eat, in the hopes of loosing 10-12 pounds. I have been netting at 1300 calories per day, and as of yesterday had dropped 4.5 pounds in one week! But, last night I are out (taco salad) and had 2.5 glasses of wine... This mornin I weighed myself and have gained 8 pounds overnight!!!! That's 3 pounds heavier than I was when I first started a week ago! I feel so discouraged :(

unless you managed to consumed 28,000 calories in one night then this is not a real gain …just water weight…

you should really only weigh in once a week, at the same time and day ...

Wow 28,000 calories.....might be fun to try....:smile:

pffff talk about epic re-feeds..that might an all time one...
  • SymphonynSonata
    SymphonynSonata Posts: 533 Member
    Options
    unless you managed to consumed 28,000 calories in one night then this is not a real gain …just water weight

More than that, even! On the low end her TDEE is probably 1,500. She'd need about 29,500 calories!

ETA: I looked up my favorite fast food and I'd need 58 Beefy 5 Layer Burritos to gain 8 pounds in one night.

...sounds really worth it.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    It's not fat 'cuz science says that's impossible. It is fluid retention, food and beverage and waste...daily weight fluctuations can be rather substantial and it's best that you start making efforts to understand this or it's going to really be a long haul full of frustration.
  • krennie8
    krennie8 Posts: 301 Member
    Options
    IMHO you need a new scale. I don't see how anyone could even gain 8 lbs of water weight in one night. Even 5 lbs is pushing it.

But, perhaps this is just my experience. I've never gained/lost more than 3 lbs in one day no matter what I've eaten/drank.
  • rustypep
    rustypep Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    I noticed when I started working out the second month that my weight would fluctuate up 3-5 lbs the next day which frustrated me at first. I traced it back to water intake which is high as 10 cups on workout days. Most water bottles are 28 oz which is close to 2 lbs of water. This translates into a little over five lbs for those 10 cups. It takes me about 2-3 days for it to come back down which is just in time for the next workout. I don't worry about it anymore. I weigh myself just twice a week now in the morning after I use the bathroom.
  • roxanneank1973
    Options
    I have been working out a lot lately! Running over 4 miles and walking on my cross fit machine for an hour a day. This is why, coupled with being on a strict diet (for me), I was so disappointed to see I actually gained weight after a week! Today I weighed myself again and I was back to the weight I was when I started 10 days ago :(. At least it's down 3 pounds since yesterday morning! Perhaps I need to be more patient and also stop weighing myself
    So much. Thank you for your helpful advice :)
  • 2013sk
    2013sk Posts: 1,318 Member
    Options
    I have been working out a lot lately! Running over 4 miles and walking on my cross fit machine for an hour a day. This is why, coupled with being on a strict diet (for me), I was so disappointed to see I actually gained weight after a week! Today I weighed myself again and I was back to the weight I was when I started 10 days ago :(. At least it's down 3 pounds since yesterday morning! Perhaps I need to be more patient and also stop weighing myself
    So much. Thank you for your helpful advice :)

Exactly this - Be more patient and stop weighing yourself

Try weighing yourself every two weeks, on the same day and same time??? See how you get on
  • xsmilexforxmex
    xsmilexforxmex Posts: 1,216 Member
    Options
    No you didn't

This.
  • Trying2Recover
    Options
    water/food weight. I'd gained 7lbs in 8 days by not crapping, finally went and its coming down slowly again.
  • corgicake
    corgicake Posts: 846 Member
    Options
    Your scale is drunk.
  • arguablysamson
    arguablysamson Posts: 1,706 Member
    Options

My friend, don't worship the scale and don't weigh more than once every 7 days. Seriously, dont. At every reduction of 3,500 calories over a given 7-day period, you lose 1 pound of body fat. This is almost invariably true. You fluctuate all the time. Watch for the calorie deficit trend weekly, not daily. You'll psyche yourself out if you don't.
  • roxanneank1973
    Options
    Thank you so much to all of you for your very helpful and encouraging responses!