Break The Fast Experiment

Options
MaiLinna
MaiLinna Posts: 580 Member
I recently read a study about how making breakfast your largest meal of the day could lead to increased weight lost. Link: http://www.timesofisrael.com/want-to-lose-weight-make-breakfast-your-big-meal-and-have-dessert-with-it/

I wanted to conduct a similar study here. The time frame will be the same 12 weeks. Divide your day up according to your average calorie goals. An example for a 1400 calorie a day diet who wants snacks:

Breakfast: 600 or 42%
Lunch: 400 or 28%
Dinner: 200 or 15%
Snacks: 200 or 15%

List your starting weight, your calorie goals for each meal, and then come back and post an update every 2-4 weeks! If I get enough people to join in I'll make a group for it. Break the fast! :3

SW: 160 lbs.
Calorie Goals:
Breakfast: 600
Lunch: 400
Dinner: 200
Snacks: 200

Replies

• nomeejerome
    nomeejerome Posts: 2,616 Member
    Options
    Calorie deficit=weight loss

If breakfast is your largest meal of the day and that helps you adhere to your calorie goal, go for it. However, when it comes to losing weight, all you need is a calorie deficit.
  • SymphonynSonata
    SymphonynSonata Posts: 533 Member
    Options
    I'll try it too! :-) I believe it was Fit For Life, but they (or someone) says (don't know how accurate it is) not to eat after 7 PM. It won't HURT your weight loss, it just helps to not eat after 7, apparently. So this makes sense if that is true anyway!
  • jonnyman41
    jonnyman41 Posts: 1,031 Member
    Options
    sounds interesting
  • gypsy_spirit
    gypsy_spirit Posts: 2,107 Member
    Options
    Calorie deficit=weight loss

If breakfast is your largest meal of the day and that helps you adhere to your calorie goal, go for it. However, when it comes to losing weight, all you need is a calorie deficit.

This. Calorie deficit is all that matters. I never eat much breakfast and I continue to lose weight. Do what works for you.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options
    meal timing and metabolism is a myth …

save your time and just eat in a deficit...
  • SephiraRose
    SephiraRose Posts: 775 Member
    Options
    I try to keep my breakfast low just so there are extra calories left for a treat later.
  • Biggirllittledreams
    Biggirllittledreams Posts: 306 Member
    Options

THIS. From what I understand, your metabolism is based primarily on your consumption of macronutrients, particularly your intake of fat (if I remember correctly, your fat intake dropping to be less than 35% of your total calories is when it affects your metabolism?), NOT when you eat your meals/the timing of such.

Personally, I prefer to have a large breakfast, a small lunch, and a large dinner. The big breakfast provides me with plenty of energy in the morning, therefore helping me to not really munch on unhealthy foods, and helps me to make better food choices for lunch/an afternoon snack. That being said, it's not because of the timing of my breakfast- it's because i have a calorie deficit, that my breakfast HELPS me to meet. Correlation here does not mean causation.
  • RomulanWarbird
    Options

I agree with this guy!

I don't really eat lunch or dinner. I eat about 6-7 times a day, things things that are around 200-300 calories. I exercise every day, and I've had consistent good results. I don't think it matters at all when you eat. I eat after 7 every day. :D And I start eating at like 7:30am. Just take in enough calories and exercise and stay on a deficit and you'll lose weight, no magic tricks! :3
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options
    I recently read a study about how making breakfast your largest meal of the day could lead to increased weight lost. Link: http://www.timesofisrael.com/want-to-lose-weight-make-breakfast-your-big-meal-and-have-dessert-with-it/

I wanted to conduct a similar study here. The time frame will be the same 12 weeks. Divide your day up according to your average calorie goals. An example for a 1400 calorie a day diet who wants snacks:

List your starting weight, your calorie goals for each meal, and then come back and post an update every 2-4 weeks! If I get enough people to join in I'll make a group for it. Break the fast! :3

Calorie Goals:

an MFP thread study is not a "real" study..

where is your control group?
    how do you know everyone is being honest with their logging?
    are you separating people based on gender, fitness level, etc..?

so please just abandon this ...
  • raven_ous
    raven_ous Posts: 223
    Options

QFT^

Lyle McDonald has some great information on it here:
    http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/research-review/meal-frequency-and-energy-balance-research-review.html

The take home from Lyle's article, in terms of practicality and application, would probably be this quote, this is Lyle here:

* If eating more frequently makes it easier to control/reduce calories, it will help you to lose weight/fat.
    * If eating more frequently makes it harder to control/reduce calories, or makes you eat more, you will gain weight.
    * If eating less frequently makes it harder for you to control/reduce calories (because you get hungry and binge), it will hurt your efforts to lose weight/fat.
    * If eating less frequently makes it easier for you to control/reduce calories (for any number of reasons), then that will help your efforts to lose weight/fat

Or in other words, personal preference.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/820577-meal-frequency-rev-up-that-furnace-lol
  • raven_ous
    raven_ous Posts: 223
    Options

Calorie Goals:

an MFP thread study is not a "real" study..

where is your control group?
    how do you know everyone is being honest with their logging?
    are you separating people based on gender, fitness level, etc..?

so please just abandon this ...
    yep,yep,yep!

You could only trust your own logging and it would be anecdotal evidence/science at best...not really science.