Vegetarian PCOSer

I have PCOS and I am a vegetarian. I have been using this website for about 10 days now. It has really opened my eyes to appropriate portions and how many calories, grams of fat, grams of sodium, etc are in the things I regularly eat. Even the things I didn't think were that bad! One thing I have noticed is that I am not getting nearly enough protein as I should. I regularly eat a variety of beans and occasionally eat tofu (I don't like to eat tofu a lot because of the elevated levels of estrogen), but I am still lacking on daily protein goals. I have worked out 3-4 time a week for years now but this website has made me realize that I probably have never been eating enough protein and that could be effecting my weight loss journey. Does anyone have any suggestions for a good source of protein for a vegetarian?

Replies

• lmhbuss
    lmhbuss Posts: 282 Member
    quinoa
  • mycupyourcake
    mycupyourcake Posts: 279 Member
    I've often wondered what a vegetarian person with PCOS should eat. It seems that you are supposed to keep your carbohydrate intake relatively low and protein high, but all the veggie sources of protein are bound with high amount of carbs. Definitely stay away from tofu as much as possible and other sources of soy in packaged veggie meat.
  • AleciaG724
    AleciaG724 Posts: 705 Member
    nuts and nut butters, beans, stick with whole grains/complex carbs.
  • taiyola
    taiyola Posts: 964 Member
    I'm vegetarian and have gone from like 30g protein a day to up to over 100g some days. I average about 70-80g without tooooo much effort!

I've been focusing on it more recently although I'm not sure if you can eat the kind of things I do.

Whey protein with fruit to make a smoothie or milk for a milkshake for breakfasts or snacks after a workout.
    Protein cookies or yogurts/nuts for snacks.
    Quorn, beans, chickpeas, cheeses.

If you can't have fake meat kinda stuff you aren't going to very far with just beans and nuts as you'd have to eat a LOT to get anywhere near your protein goals. I'd look at whey shakes and supplements if I were you. :)
  • Thank you so much for your suggestions! Quinoa is definitely on my list to start cooking more with and I have always wanted to try different types of nut butters. I never thought of whey protein shakes! This is great!
  • Lizabelle1212
    Lizabelle1212 Posts: 252 Member
    Thank you so much for your suggestions! Quinoa is definitely on my list to start cooking more with and I have always wanted to try different types of nut butters. I never thought of whey protein shakes! This is great!
    Just be aware that whey protein has soy, which is pretty bad for people with PCOS, so if you're going to use it, use it sparingly. I'm not a vegetarian, but I have PCOS as well - feel free to add me if you like, my diary is open to my friends =) Also, YES to the couscous! I just made that for the first time the other night and it was delicious!