Maybe it's a myth on lifting weights...

Replies

• Kookyk9s
    Kookyk9s Posts: 259 Member
    Try to beat this guy who was 82 last year when this was written. Looks like he is failing to me. HUH!!

www.thestar.com/life/health_wellness/2013/08/27/how_to_stick_to_a_workout_routine_do_it_for_40_years
  • toofatandy
    toofatandy Posts: 74 Member
    Muscle is muscle Fat is Fat.
    One cannot turn become the other.
    Stop lifting weights then muscle shrinkage occurs (atrophy)
    Doing light sessions twice a week would prevent shrinkage.
    We have a choice in life lift or not lift.
    Listen to bull**** or the truth
  • BigGuy47
    BigGuy47 Posts: 1,768 Member
    every time I'm lifting weights I'm thinking about those comments and if I really will be able to do this later in life.
    Seriously? Stop letting them get in your head. They can pack sand up their bottoms. Lift and enjoy the benefits until you're 100 years old.
  • harlanJEN
    harlanJEN Posts: 1,089 Member
    I'm 50. I lift heavy and plan to do so for the rest of my life

Now! With that said :

Google: Ernestine Shepherd

/ thread
  • SunofaBeach14
    SunofaBeach14 Posts: 4,932 Member
    It sounds like you're listening to idiots. Lifting weights increases bone mass as well as muscle mass, two things that you will be grateful to have as you age. And, there's no reason to stop as you get older.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    You need to be able to do things that you can stick with for your life, not just do it because you're young and able to. There'll be an age when you can't do that anymore."

Oh no! When does this happen? Is there a time limit that no-one has told me about?
    I started strength training 40 years ago - am I supposed to be stopping some time soon?
  • Sharon_C
    Sharon_C Posts: 2,132 Member
    I'm 46 and I lift as much as my 20 year old daughter. I was diagnosed with very advanced arthritis in my hip. I'm one of the youngest patients my doctor is treating and he's just waiting for me to give the go ahead to replace my hip. I decided that I was going to try every means possible to delay the hip replacement. I did a lot of research and discovered that weight lifting helps. Since I started weight lifting I rarely if ever take my pain medication (there are still some days I have to take it but they are a lot less than they used to be). I can usually control the pain through exercise.

So I turn my nose up to all those nay-sayers. I'm proof that weight lifting is beneficial to your body even as you get older.
  • lizzyclatworthy
    lizzyclatworthy Posts: 296 Member
    every time I'm lifting weights I'm thinking about those comments and if I really will be able to do this later in life.
    Seriously? Stop letting them get in your head. They can pack sand up their bottoms. Lift and enjoy the benefits until you're 100 years old.

^This!
  • Galatea_Stone
    Galatea_Stone Posts: 2,037 Member
    It's nonsense.

But even if it wasn't nonsense, I'd rather have it to lose than never have it at all.
  • Will_Thrust_For_Candy
    Will_Thrust_For_Candy Posts: 6,109 Member
    That is ridiculous and most certainly not a reason to NOT do something that is so good for you. Lifting has many benefits besides aesthetics and many of those benefits are especially applicable as you age.
  • scrittrice
    scrittrice Posts: 345 Member
    Well you might also be incontinent when you're old so I guess we all might as well start crapping our pants now, right?

Ha--that made me snort-laugh.
  • LiftAllThePizzas
    LiftAllThePizzas Posts: 17,857 Member
    Muscle is muscle Fat is Fat.
    One cannot turn become the other.
    But if you stop doing math problems your brain cells turn into pancreas cells.
  • foreverslim1111
    foreverslim1111 Posts: 2,604 Member
    It is just not true that someday, when you get older, you won't be able to lift weights or maintain your fitness. If you care enough about your health, you will keep working on it. Some older people get weak because of chronic disease. So in that case it is understandable that they are using canes and walkers. Alot of them are trying to do the best within their limitations. Then some older people think it is inevitable to gradually become weaker and soon they have to struggle to get up out of a chair or into a car. They believe that it is part of normal aging.

Then there are some of us that love to defy our age. I'm 68, female and working on my fitness and controlling my weight. And I enjoy it. I currently am walking 3 days a week about 2 to 3 miles, lifting free weights at home (2 - 10lb dumbels curles and then over my head, and I hope to graduate to 2 - 15lbs next week) and doing 3 Julian Michaels 30 minute workouts each week. I love how I feel so much stronger and can still get into my size 12s. I am 5'9 and weigh 168. My goal is 160.

I love seeing the changes in my body. So please don't think that it is inevitable that you will get weak when you get older. Its not.
  • deksgrl
    deksgrl Posts: 7,237 Member
    You should never ride a bicycle since there will come a time where you won't be able to ride one anymore.

You should never paddle a canoe since there will come a time where you won't be able to anymore.

You should never ______ since there will come a time where you won't be able to anymore.

See how ridiculous that is?
  • LiftAllThePizzas
    LiftAllThePizzas Posts: 17,857 Member
    You should never ride a bicycle since there will come a time where you won't be able to ride one anymore.

You should never paddle a canoe since there will come a time where you won't be able to anymore.

You should never ______ since there will come a time where you won't be able to anymore.

See how ridiculous that is?
    It's not ridiculous at all.

Oops I crapped my pants again... brb.
  • MyOwnSunshine
    MyOwnSunshine Posts: 1,312 Member
    Like any other activity, if you stop lifting weights you will gain weight (fat) if you continue eating like you are lifting weights. Muscle does not "turn" to fat. If you are inactive for a long period of time after lifting, you may lose some of your muscle mass. If you eat more calories than you burn, you will likely gain body fat.

Strength training has been found beneficial in maintaining bone and muscle mass for people as old as 90. Although you may not always be able to lift the amount of weight you can in your twenties or thirties, you should always be able to do some kind of strength training, barring a serious injury or medical diagnosis.

All people should strive to be physically active throughout their lifetime, as activity level and physical fitness is strongly correlated with health and mental acuity in old age.
  • hmaddpear
    hmaddpear Posts: 610 Member
    Straight from the CDC: http://www.cdc.gov/physicalactivity/growingstronger/why/
    That's why you should keep lifting weights.

Thanks for this link. I've started to panic slightly, as I'm a product of the fat-free 80's and am worried osteoporosis and arthritis is pretty much an inevitability. Glad to see that strength training can have an effect at any point.
  • ironanimal
    ironanimal Posts: 5,922 Member
    Look at it this way; older people (generally speaking) are the ones who place such a heavy stigma on lifting heavy weight -- especially women.

A lot of older people are fragile, weak, suffer from osteoperosis and so on.

Think you want to take advice from on your future fitness?
  • Cortelli
    Cortelli Posts: 1,369 Member
    Yeah - you can't really do any intensive or challenging exercise once you get older. I mean, look at Harriet Anderson. She's a friend of ours' mom, lives here in our small town, and works out at the community center gym we belong to.

http://www.ironman.com/triathlon/news/articles/2013/12/performance-of-the-year-harriet-anderson.aspx#axzz2xUOlm3f0

She's finished the Kona Ironman 21 times, and holds the record for the oldest woman to every complete it -- at 78 years old last October. She didn't start doing triathlons until she was in her early fifties and retired.

Lifting not only helps with bone density, it also keeps joints and all the infrastructure that supports good joint health (tendons, ligaments, etc.) in good shape. Start now. Stop only if you want to. Age won't stop you.

There are a number of late 70s and a few early 80s folks at our community center gym (it skews older than your average gym!) lifting weights and hitting the spin room or pool after!
  • bshot1
    bshot1 Posts: 44
    The body wont build or tear down muscle unless it's absolutely necessary because it's metabolically expensive.

What will happen, you'll lose 'pump'. If you continue to eat the same amount of calories, you'll eventually get fat. If you eat less than you need, you run the risk of cannibalizing the muscle in the long term.