Do you guys take a ' diet day off?'

Options
Hi all, this is my first post.

I'm in the first week of my diet and have been trying to consume as much knowledge that I can to make sure that I stay the path this time around. One thing I have heard a lot about is taking days off from the diet where you consume a higher amount of calories in the hopes of keeping your metabolism from slowing down due to regularly eating low calories and also to keep the diet tolerable in terms of still getting to enjoy going out to eat and whatnot. I'm curious if anyone else works there diet like this and if they have had success with it. I'm currently 236 6'1 and looking to get under 200 and in shape to start running.

Replies

• remyworkout
    Options
    One thing I have learned and taken to heart is that this is not just a diet. It's a lifestyle change. Diets seem so temporary. When you get to your goal weight is the diet over? No. You have to maintain. Cheat days just promote the idea that those types of foods are something that you can look forward to when you hit your goal weight. When the truth is that those foods are never acceptable.
  • gymrat789
    gymrat789 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I call it my "cheat day ", every sunday after i do my official weigh in. i allow myself to cheat. I have pizza, omelette, maybe a piece of cake here and there. but make sure you don't go 300 calories above your limit or it will be hard to burn those off the rest of the week. A cheat day is only ONE day, not every day.
  • melliebee
    melliebee Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    Hello and welcome to the world of MFP posting. You will soon be hooked :)

I personally don't like to look at all of this as a diet. I am just training myself to exercise moderation and portion control and this is a wonderful tool for that. As far as taking a day off and having a cheat eat day, I see it as very counterproductive in developing a healthy lifestyle that is maintainable.

It does however, help me to cycle caloric intake once in a while. If I am in a slump don't lose any weight for a week, I will increase my calories in for a few days to get the ol' metabolism back in order.. I also take a few days off exercise in a row and tend to lose weight during this period.

The problem with diet days off is that people take it to extremes, and consume WAY more calories than they normally do during these days, which doesn't help ween your body off of high fat and high sugar foods. You end up craving it more, and sometimes sabotage your weight loss. Don't cut the foods that you love out of your diet, or only eat them on diet days off, but teach yourself to eat them in moderation.

These are things that work for me personally, hopefully they help you :)
  • justahorsen
    Options
    I don't call it a "cheat" day or a "day off" it is just another day in my lifestyle change....I eat what I want, when I want and just try to watch my portions....I have ice cream (it is my biggest vice) not a whole pint (or more) at once but a controlled portion.
  • massahwahl
    Options
    I'm only doing it one day a week and not eating junk just for the sake of it, today I had a double portion of steamed veggies at lunch and some turkey with mashed potatoes and a little gravy. Im not looking for an excuse to eat junk, Iwas just curious about the metabolism part. What I read said that your body adjusts to a low calorie diet and slows your metabolism to fit your intake.
  • massahwahl
    Options
    Portion control is the toughest part for me, just learning to eat less will be a long term challenge. The mfp app is invaluable though! I love it!
  • randyv99
    randyv99 Posts: 257 Member
    Options
    I am all for a diet day off while keeping in mind that what I'm doing is not a diet. When I strictly managed my diet and gave myself one day off I would DEFINITELY overdo, sometimes going 3500 calories over my goal. I've since adjusted to a looser diet management plan with no diet day off (or discretionary days as I call them). Well I still have days off but that's just a day for eating things that are less nutritious and slightly going over my calories because it would definitely be counterproductive to stay under my calories all week to eat them back in one day.

But it really depends on what kind of person you are. I'm much better at having a little bit of bad stuff here and there than denying myself everything and having one day off. I also feel like that's something I can manage for the rest of my life. If you have trouble just taking a few small bites, maybe the days off would work for you better if you can contain the intake on those days. The key is to integrate fitness and nutrition changes into your life not to center your life around the fitness and nutrition.

Everyone here has posted great advice that works for them. Find out what works for you. At the beginning a little tougher restriction on your diet might be easier and when you've trained yourself to make better choices you can integrate other less nutritious things in. As for cheat days helping to regulate your metabolism...Everyone is different, metabolisms are quite dynamic and not as easily predicted as some would have you believe.

Learn your lifestyle, learn to listen to your body and take everything everyone tells you with a grain of salt as you find something that works for you. Congratulations on getting started and hope to see you on the message boards more often.
  • NoAdditives
    NoAdditives Posts: 4,251 Member
    Options
    I take two days off every week. I don't go crazy and I don't eat total crap but I don't worry about sticking to my calorie goal. I try not to restrict the types of foods I eat during the week, if I want a cookie I'll eat it if I have the calories. But for the most part I try to keep it as healthy as possible and I'm always trying to find healthy substitutes for my favorite foods. I LOVE pizza but instead of ordering from a regular pizza place like Papa John's or Pizza Hut we now get take and bake from Papa Murphy's. Way less calories and sodium, much healthier. And, since it doesn't have an outrageous amount of calories per slice, pizza doesn't have to be a special treat anymore! I also use my days off to go out to restaurants but again, I try to keep it healthy. We like to go out to local Mexican food places but I'm mindful of portion sizes. It's not like I go out to Olive Garden or TGI Friday's and have an appetizer, full entree, dessert and drinks. I do indulge but I still keep it reasonable.
  • SouthernBell86
    SouthernBell86 Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    Hmm, well I never think of it as being a "day off." I mean, I have planned the foods I eat regularly around what is healthy and what I like. I do eat a reduced calorie diet, and once in a while (not every once every week) I do have a day where I plan to eat a higher number of calories than I would normally eat. I never eat more than my maintenance calories for whatever weight I am at on those days though, and I usually have them coincide with exercise rest days as well.

The thing is that sometimes your weight loss does slow down, so you may need to perk it up a bit and remind your body that food is available, you are just holding back. So this weekend I planned for today and tomorrow I give myself 400 extra calories each day. And on Monday I will scale it back down again. You have to be really careful on increase days to not go over on sodium though, because the extra food does have sodium in it too, and too much sodium can get you bloated and totally ruin the effect of having an increase day.

But all of this is a lifestyle, and so I am not taking a day off, I think that gives you the wrong mindset. All the calorie increase is for is to send a message to my body. I never deprive myself during the week, so I am not tempted to binge on increase days, but I think that for some people the temptation might be too much.

Anyway, I wouldn't recommend you to do an increase day when you are just starting out. I would wait until you had been on this for a month or more and you have gotten used to the way you are eating. Then once you can look at some patterns of just eating your regular calorie reduced diet you can decide if you need to add in those days, how often and how much.
  • So_Um_Yeah
    So_Um_Yeah Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    I decided when I started that I was going to take one day off a month, like holidays, birthdays, etc. I don't know, but I think that it keeps me sane and honestly makes this more realistic. If you just say, "Okay here is my diet, and I'm never going to stray" you will never stick to it. I would say just don't stress about special days and just plan to do your best on the other days. Good luck! :smile:
  • HRgoldenlife
    HRgoldenlife Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    I do not do a whole day no. I allow a meal where I eat what I want.
  • joeybaby66
    Options
    M,

I would suggest you try to eat every 2.5 to 3 hours. If you do it that way, your metabolism will continue to burn calories. After you set up your goals, just divide the foods from breakfast to dinner with two snacks in between. Try to eat whole foods, nothing processed.
    You will adjust. if you go too long without eating, you may tend to overeat. This program works great, stick to it and it will work for you.
    One day at a time. Don't forget to drink enough water.
  • tigerrohr1969
    Options
    Welcome; There are many blogs in MFP that you will be able to relate with...some more than others. I do take Sunday off with regards to exercise: unless the weather is cooperating and I can get my bike out..as far as the food portion of my life change, If I take a day off and eat what I might crave then no, I don't take a day off...tomorrow comes really quick these days, and I am not up to working doubly hard in getting those "Sunday" calories off. Ultimately, that decision will be up to you and your desired goals.
  • massahwahl
    Options
    All very good advice! I appreciate the comments. Ive dieted in the past and hit my peek after about a month and I don't want that to happen again. I've been doing hour long exercises every other day to start with and look to increase those as I get more comfortable and build up some endurance. I have not been depriving myself of things I like as long as I have the extra calories for them but I guess I really don't know my body all that well yet or how its going to react to these during and exercise changes.