Runners – please help!

Hi there,

I want to start running – my goal is to be able to run two miles at 6.5 mph without stopping. Right now it takes me about 25 minutes to get through two miles when I alternate between running and walking. My question is, will this method work? Will I eventually be able to run for longer periods of time? OR should I run for as long as I possibly can then walk the rest and hope to gradually increase my running distance each day or two?

Any input would be appreciated!

Replies

• 12by311
    12by311 Posts: 1,716 Member
    What's always worked for me in the past is to work on distance first. Feel comfortable with your 2 miles….maybe even work up a little more.

Then do speed work - HIITs, hills, fartleks, sprints etc.
  • czmmom
    czmmom Posts: 236 Member
    I did C25K to get into running. I would probably do run/walk intervals and then every week make your run intervals longer and the walk intervals shorter.
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    My question is, will this method work? Will I eventually be able to run for longer periods of time?

Walk/ run intervals are a pretty typical approach to developing running endurance.

Some people work to a distance objective, some to time. Most established plans start at 5km or 30 minutes, that then gives a solid base to work from.

Personally I started with a Couch to 5K programme about 11 months ago and now most of my training is for 10km, improving my speed.

fwiw the thing that made more difference to my speed than anything else was increasing my distance to 10k. I'm now running 10k at a 9 minute mile so just shy of 7mph
  • spicegeek
    spicegeek Posts: 325 Member
    why ? is this for a police or Army test ? 6.5 mph is not slow - it`s not a dead sprint - but it will need work - I would suggest the c25k and once you are at 3 miles you will need to start working on your pace
  • Hi there,

I want to start running – my goal is to be able to run two miles at 6.5 mph without stopping. Right now it takes me about 25 minutes to get through two miles when I alternate between running and walking. My question is, will this method work? Will I eventually be able to run for longer periods of time? OR should I run for as long as I possibly can then walk the rest and hope to gradually increase my running distance each day or two?

• sphkhn
    sphkhn Posts: 456 Member
    Do the Couch to 5K I LOVE it and it's nice to have an app to coach you into running longer distances much easier than guessing yourself. I'm getting much faster as I go as well.
  • Hi there,

I used to hate running with a passion. It would take me around ages to run a mile and a hated every step. I downloaded an app called Running for Weight loss which costs around £2.50 but has been amazing. It's based on an 8 week program but I'm already at the end of week 4 when I should starting week 3. My minutes per km has gone from 8 minutes to under 7. It's all interval train so to start with you run a minute and a half then walk for 2, then introduce sprints, increase your running time and decrease your walk time. Definitely a recommend!
  • thankyou4thevenom
    thankyou4thevenom Posts: 1,581 Member
    Hi there,

It will work. It sounds much like the couch 25k method.
  • GillianMcK
    GillianMcK Posts: 401 Member
    Miles in the legs and then work on the pace, 6.5mph is quite a pace, is there a specific reason you have chosen this pace, that's just over a 9min mile and isn't likely to happen very fast, it's achievable but will take a lot of hard work, mainly starting at getting the distance first and then probably looking at interval training, fartlek and tempo training, you'll learn to have a love/hate relationship with hills, strength training to build up leg muscles.

I would also invest in a good pair of fitted trainers at a running store where you get gait analysis done (my running shoes are the most expensive shoes I own and love getting new pairs), the number of miles you're likely to rack up they will help (they also need replaced every 400-600 miles, I have 3 pairs that I rotate so I only buy news ones once a year, but that's just me)!!

Good luck:)
  • brianpperkins
    brianpperkins Posts: 6,124 Member
    If you keep building your base and focus on reducing your walk distances each time, you can get to the point where you run the full distance. Speed is a function of getting that base built. If you really want to run two miles faster, build your running base to a solid three to four miles ... the endurance will help you run the shorter distances faster without the inevitable drop of speed as you near the end of your possible distance.
  • jenniferrusso7393
    jenniferrusso7393 Posts: 189 Member
    THat is a fast pace... When I am in shape, a comfortable, non breathless pace for me is 5.7... I could probably do 6.5, but not for an extended period. C25K is a GREAT program, but isvery similar you your approach, you alternate between running andwalking,icreasing therunning intervals and shortening the walking ones. However, these people are right when they say get the distance first-- then work on increasing the speed. Good luck with reaching your goal!