Depressed and over weight

Options
I have gained 70lbs during the time of 11 months. Husband was diagnosed with prostate cancer and passed away July 2013. Trying to get in a exercise and diet program. Don't have any friends near by. Looking for support from some one having any of the same issues. I will bevturning 60 in September. Trying to get back on track with my life

Replies

• Deb23455
    Deb23455 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I am sorry to hear of your loss. It is so easy to stop caring for yourself when someone you love is sick. I have not had to deal with this as much as you have but I too for one reason or another have stopped taking care of myself and in doing so have regained 30 pounds that I worked very hard to lose.
    I am turning 58 in June and have been trying to lose weight off and on for over a year. At the end of January I decided I really needed to start the journey now. I have a lot of things I'd like to do when we can totally retire. I had hoped that would be this year but my 24 year old daughter was diagnosed with advanced heart failure in February of this year so I postponed retiring for a year. So I decided to do something positive.
    I stopped drinking alcohol, started exercising hard 5 times a week and walking a lot everyday and eating much more smartly.
    At first I lost a lot of weight but since week 3 it has been a real struggle. So, even though I am working out, staying under the calorie budget the scale isn't moving.
    My daughter looks good but faces a surgery soon, my husband has his own health issues so there aren't a lot of bright spots right now but I am always hoping things will get better soon.
    I have never tried sending a friend request but will after posting.
    I hope this doesn't sound cold, but sometimes, just focusing on some goal makes the depression recede a little--maybe focusing on being healthy and exercising will start lifting you up some. I know I feel best when actually exercising (treadmill with music is my choice).
    Deb
  • MyChocolateDiet
    MyChocolateDiet Posts: 22,281 Member
    Options
    I'm sorry you are going through this. So glad you are seeking out support but maybe people don't necessarily have to exaclty understand or lived thru your exact circumstances to be enough of a support to you to help you on this path. Just an idea. Think about it.
  • dintentions3
    dintentions3 Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    im sorry for your loss. i have 50 lbs to lose, and i gained it all in the last year due to SEVERE depression. feel free to add me as i also need motivation and encouragement
  • suejenfb
    suejenfb Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    I'm sorry for your loss. I had a difficult year last year also and decided that it was time for me to start taking care of myself. We can help each other get healthier.
  • kayla_who
    kayla_who Posts: 540 Member
    Options
    I'm sorry for your loss. :( Good luck with your weight loss journey. Add me if you want...I'll 'like' the **** out of your statuses.... :P
  • KymSheree
    KymSheree Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I am terribly sorry for your loss.. I too have experienced depression and the weight has just piled on. I will add you and we can all attempt this rather challenging task together. :flowerforyou:

11392831.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Nutrition Facts For Foods
  • lovineyes
    lovineyes Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    sweet sister, you are not alone. i feel for you, understand you, and know all the difficulties you must be having to some degree.
    this coming June will be 8 years ago that i lost my only child. then October 2013, i lost my daddy. grief is a strange bed fellow, some gain weight while others lose. i unfortunately gained. please feel free to add me to your friends list. as another posted, i will like the @%&amp;# out of your statuses. i will also be around if you need to vent. <3
  • tealgrove
    tealgrove Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    The loss of a loved one is so difficult on so many levels. I cared for both of my parents who were diagnosed with terminal cancer 5 years apart. I looked after them and forgot about me. I don't regret a minute of it, but it takes a toll and I too gained a ton of weight. I feel your pain and I hope I can be here to help you. Please feel free to add me as a friend. We can do this thing together.
  • beckyjeanleemaddox
    beckyjeanleemaddox Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    I'm so sorry for your loss. I also have depression so I can relate to that. I eat when depressed!!! My health has been a huge struggle for the past year. I'm just recovering from hiatal hernia surgery and severe anemia. It has taken a toll on me physically and mentally. Still it's not like losing a spouse. We all have our struggles, some hard and some very hard. I admire your encourage to take control of your life and despite your loss go on. Feel free to add me as a friend. God Bless
  • tropicaltiger
    Options
    wow I am truly sorry-my mom had cancer last year -and I gained 20 pounds back after losing 94 pounds so I can relate-my mom is ok now-it is so hard when we go through hard times-but you are not alone-please feel free to add me:smile:
  • rhonda6373
    Options
    I am so sorry for your loss, I cannot imagine what you have gone through. I am struggle with medical and situational depression for a different reason -- my 18 year old is a severe drug addict and I have lived in fear that he would die for years. It does impact my efforts at times.

Perhaps we can still be a support for one another, please friend me if you would like! I do comment and like a lot of statuses.
  • zoquo
    zoquo Posts: 75
    Options
    You might feel alone but you are not, just ask us for help whenever you need to! Getting into a workout and diet program that you like takes time, but the longer you stick at it the more you will enjoy it, as soon as you see the benefits you will be motivated to keep going. The first part is the hardest. Good luck. Feel free to add me.

Peace
  • raggiemom
    raggiemom Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    I am so sorry for your loss and your subsequent depression and weight issues. I can relate to some extent having lost, not a husband, but many beloved family members due to illness or tragic events. And I understand and can empathize with you and the others who have posted about depression and weight issues. None of us have to deal with this on our own. We can all support and motivate each other. Feel free to add me as a friend.
  • myonlychoice
    myonlychoice Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I am so sorry for the loss of your husband. I lost my dad last year to cancer and the pain is hard to bear. Depression is hard to deal with alone. We are here for you. I am here for you. All of us will take this journey together. Kat