Please recommend a good tasting protein powder!

Options
Thanks! I want to start making shakes again....

Replies

• zurilac
    zurilac Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Arbonne
    Makes good shakes
  • huneycutt13
    huneycutt13 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I'm using BSN Syntha-6 chocolate milkshake flavor, I love it! It tastes great, especially mixed with strawberries/blueberries.
  • harriettink
    Options
    Hi I used to use BSN Syntha 6 and BSN Lean Dessert; both taste good. No, however I use a variety from The Protein Works. Their products have less calories, so I can get more protein for the same calorie content. They taste good too. I use mostly they Whey Protein ranges and the Milk Protein. The Milk Protein mixes very well, and is the best protein I've tried for mixing with porridge/yogurt etc.
  • zoeysasha37
    zoeysasha37 Posts: 7,088 Member
    Options
    Muscle gauge nutrition , cake batter flavor.
    It tastes awesome!!!
  • amyannie
    amyannie Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    Shakeology was my absolute favorite but it's sooo damn expensive! So I started to use VEGA which is packed with nutrients, lower in sugar than the rest and tastes really good! But when I need that extra chocolate fix, I put a spoonful of cocao in it!
  • allana1111
    allana1111 Posts: 390 Member
    Options
    wheybolic amplified cookies & cream protein powder from GNC
  • Strawberryblonde123
    Options
    I drink Cor-Performance Whey by Cellucor. I have 2 of their flavors: Red Velvet Cake Batter (really yummy!) and Molten Chocolate. They have a bunch of other flavors like; Cinnamon Swirl, Cookies n Cream, Cor-fetti Cake Batter, Mint Chocolate Chip, Peanut Butter Marshmallow, Whipped Vanilla and Strawberry Milkshake.
  • 40DayFit
    40DayFit Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    I prefer protein powders without artificial colors, flavors, or sweeteners (though I know there are some very tasty artificial flavors out there).

After some minor shopping around, I've settled on Optimum Nutrition's Gold Standard Natural 100% Whey, in the vanilla flavor. Not only are the ingredients pretty simple, the flavor is clean with no aftertaste. I find that a lot of "no artificial sweetener" powders rely very heavily on stevia, which, to me, leave an unpleasant aftertaste. No stevia in this powder.

These are the ingredient's in ON's natural vanilla whey:

Protein Blend (Whey Protein Isolate, Whey Protein Concentrate, Whey Peptides), Evaporated Cane Juice Powder, Natural Flavor, Lecithin, Xanthan Gum, Rebaudioside A, Aminogen®, Lactase.

130 calories per 1 scoop/32 g serving, 24 g protein, 3 g sugars, 5 g total carbs, and includes over 5g of BCAAs per serving. Easy to mix with spoon or Blender Bottle, and a great base for all kinds of smoothies and shakes.

If I ever want a chocolate taste, I just add some unsweetened cocoa powder.

Runs around $25-29 for 2 lb/28 serving container, which is the largest I'd go while sampling protein powders to find the one you most enjoy.
  • ssekar1
    ssekar1 Posts: 1
    Options
    Whey protein is definitely necessary to build muscle. Currently I use BulkSupplements CLEAN Whey Protein Isolate. It has no flavors or additives (except soy emulsifier). It tastes like foam but it dissolves really well in a shaker bottle.
  • MaiLinna
    MaiLinna Posts: 580 Member
    Options
    EAS vanilla soy protein powder smells and tastes like sugar cookies. If you like sugar cookies... :3
  • Annalisa_87
    Annalisa_87 Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    Maximuscle banana is my favourite. If you like banana milkshakes you will love it.
  • emmanuel4everjackson
    emmanuel4everjackson Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    I LOVE my Body Fortress Vanilla Whey Protein Powder! It was proven to be a genuine source of protein (per Dr. Oz), very low priced (Walmart), and it is DELICIOUS.
  • CipherZero
    CipherZero Posts: 1,418 Member
    Options
    Cipher's whey roundup

ON Double chocolate and Extreme chocolate are... okay. You'll be sick of them before the tubs are empty. Mixes well in water, milk, and almond milk.

Dymatize Elite Fudge Brownie is godly. Mixed with everything, but tends to be thicker than any of the others.

Wheytech Protech 24 banana & chocolate are both kind of weak flavors and suitable prety much for blending. The banana is great with orange juice, yogurts, and puddings.

Body Fortress vanilla - the worst of the lot. It has a gritty texture that'll never go away no matter what you do with it. Very obvious artifical flavor.

The Vitamin Shoppe Next Step Fit N' Full Shake (Berry flavor): I didn't think anything could taste worse than Body Fortress. I was wrong. Disgusting. Do not buy.
  • tasha_1306
    tasha_1306 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    I use the Optimum Nutrition Extreme Milk Chocolate and I love it!
  • RaggedyPond
    RaggedyPond Posts: 1,487 Member
    Options
    I use the Optimum Nutrition Extreme Milk Chocolate and I love it!

seconded
  • CTcutie
    CTcutie Posts: 649 Member
    Options
    Syntrax Mint Cookie. Yum!
  • SugaryLynx
    SugaryLynx Posts: 2,640 Member
    Options
    Trutein in peanut butter cup is really yummy. Oooh, and Cellucor Cinnamon Swirl wasn't bad either. Found that one at GNC.
  • abra526
    abra526 Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    The only protein powder I will put in my body now is Isagenix. It comes from clean, whole sources that isn't loaded with a bunch of fillers and junk. A good friend of mine who is a Crossfit champion and does a lot of lifting, drinks a lot of protein. He was getting some stuff from Complete Nutrition, thinking it was going to be a lot better than the junk you can get from a major grocery store. After about a month of drinking two shakes a day, he developed a strange lump on his chest. His doctor was baffled by this, and ran several fine needle biopsies and even resorted to a mammogram. What it turned out to be what a protein deposit from poorly manufactured protein. After three days of not drinking the Complete Nutrition powder, the lump reabsorbed into his body. Never again will I consider using a powder that can't prove where it's sources come from.
  • tradja
    tradja Posts: 11
    Options
    I use protein powder as an additive and let the fresh and frozen fruit do the talking. Like 40dayfit above I didn't want a lot of artificial flavors and sweeteners, but most of the natural protein powders I've tried are nowhere near as awesome as all these "Extreme Macadamia White Chocolate Red Velvet Cake"-type powders.

That being said, I do like Optimum Nutrition Natural Pro Complex Vanilla on its own, but usually mixed with some powdered milk to give it some body (I work overseas and the powdered milk here is different/sweeter/richer/cheaper than in the US)
  • arcticfox04
    arcticfox04 Posts: 1,011 Member
    Options
    Optimum 100% Natural Chocolate Whey. Best powder ever.