Adjusting intake when sick?

Options
I've been sick for a few days now (respiratory flu) and in bed all day every day since Thursday. I don't have any stomach issues so I've been eating normally, just under my calorie goal. Prior to the illness, MFP has had me at 1670 net cals per day and I've been losing slowly but consistently over the past six weeks.

Just wondering what you guys do when you're sick with zero activity? Should I be lowering my calorie goal due to inactivity (I have my profile set to lightly active)? Should I be eating the same number of calories? Increasing to maintenance while my body is trying to heal?

I'm still feeling completely out of it and have a feeling I have at least another few days of bed rest coming up. I know I might be overthinking this but I just don't want to mess with my progress.

Thanks!

Replies

• ottermotorcycle
    ottermotorcycle Posts: 654 Member
    Options
    I would stay at the same level. The fact that you are bedridden means that you will be burning less through physical activity, and you will make it up in calories burned fighting the illness. If you want to increase to maintenance - even if for no other reason than that you're cranky and want to eat more soup - then that would be fine. Whatever works for you. Make sure to get lots of rest and fluids, and get a good mix of nutrients to help your body get better!
  • skylark94
    skylark94 Posts: 2,036 Member
    Options
    When you are ill it is certainly not the time to be reducing your intake. I always go to maintenance levels when I am sick and for a few days after I feel better.
  • writergeek313
    writergeek313 Posts: 390 Member
    Options
    Eat. Don't worry about the calories. Worry about getting better. Varying from your regular plan for a few days isn't going to make a big difference.

I've had a really bad case of bronchitis for the last week. I tried to load up on fruit and vegetables the first few days. After that, I got too sick to care about food at all and had to force myself to eat. Friday night I had to go to the pharmacy to pick up a different antibiotic, and at that point I had only had about 300 calories for the whole day. On the way home, I went to McDonald's for the first time in probably five or six years. I ate my whole meal and still ended up over 400 calories under for the day. I just couldn't make myself eat enough.

Today is the first day I've felt halfway decent all week, and I felt up to fixing myself something that I made sure was loaded with lots of vegetables. I'll keep trying to get back to normal, but I anticipate at some point in the next few days I'm going to be starving, and when that happens I'm going to refuel and not worry about calories for a day or two (but not go totally nuts).
  • winterpalm
    winterpalm Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Thanks guys!

Appreciate the input, I'll adjust to maintenance until I'm back to feeling 100% and think of this as a "recovery week." I'm trying to get as many nutrients as possible through smoothies, soups and stews. I'm not particularly hungry but am eating as much I can hoping that if I keep my strength up I'll be feeling better sooner.
  • ALNoog
    ALNoog Posts: 413 Member
    Options
    I've been sick the past couple of days and honestly I haven't eaten much and I haven't eaten very well when I have eaten .
    I only eat when I need to take my pain pills or Xanax and I normaly do low carb for my pcos but I have been having to eat only soft foods until I get in to see my doctor Tuesday.

In the grand scheme of things just do what you have to do when you are sick and get better soon!