Did you start jogging/running while still obese?

Options
I am a 5'8" and 237 lb female. I have gained most of my weight from pregnancy and depression over the loss of our newborn a few years ago. I want to get back on track and am finding it difficult to limit my calories as much as I like, so I'm considering getting back into running. I used to run, both my husband and I did, on a regular basis. I loved how it kept my weight down so I'm hoping it will help me lose my extra weight.

With me being so overweight, I'm worried about my knees - I know proper running form and have been fitted for shoes at a running store, so hopefully this will help. And I plan to do the walk/jog to get me back into it (I doubt I can run for more than 2 minutes at a time right now anyway!).

Any other tips for me? I appreciate it all as I really want to get back into running again, I miss that runners high!!!!

Replies

• seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,741 Member
    Options
    I have never run...seriously even as a kid I was miserable when jogging or running. But I want to read this for tips, which I hope you'll get many of.

Honestly I am 191 lb and cannot even IMAGINE running more than a block or so. I have a lot of friends on MFP and irl who seem to enjoy running even at much higher weights, though. They amaze me!
  • holdthemustard
    Options
    I want to try the c 2 5 k programme. Easy to start off with.
  • handyrunner
    handyrunner Posts: 32,662 Member
    Options
    I started at 300#...slowness will be your friend. slow pace and slow build. you'll gain the strength an endurance to push it over time.

also lift weights. help strengthen the tools you'll be using
  • pandagirl813
    pandagirl813 Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    I don't have too much experience myself, but i would start by walking 30 minutes a day and then raise it 5 minutes every week or 2.
  • StreetBystander
    StreetBystander Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    I think the only thing I could add is to try taking smaller strides when jogging. I am around 240 and have been easing back into running with walk/jog intervals. It may seem a little silly or awkward at first, but it feels less jarring to me and I have yet to experience any knee pain or discomfort.
  • yo_andi
    yo_andi Posts: 2,178 Member
    Options
    I'm sorry for your tremendous loss! :flowerforyou:

I am obese (5'11 and 230 lbs). I run, lift and play Australian Rules Football. It's not easy, and sometimes I feel insecure about my size but I do it knowing that it's only a matter of time and commitment until I reach my goals.

Start small: jog from one lightpost to the next, then walk for a few, then jog for another "post length". Each time you go out, aim to run for one "post length" longer than the previous time you were out. Soon you'll be running the entire way!
  • determinedbutlazy
    determinedbutlazy Posts: 1,941 Member
    Options
    I started at EXACTLY the same stats as you (5'8 237) by doing c25k on a treadmill. The treadmill made it easier on my joints than running on the street. I finished it on the machine then graduated to doing the whole programme AGAIN on the street over the summer. I finished it and ran my first 5k race at 33mins and 201lbs.
    It wasn't easy and I had to repeat weeks, deal with shin splints and aches and feeling like I couldn't breathe... Watching other runners bounce past me easily and feeling like I was the WORST, FATTEST most AWFUL runner that ever was.

But now I'm 169lbs, I love running, I'm training with c210k and enjoying myself. Go for it.
  • BonnieC45
    BonnieC45 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I was not active as a child or as an adult but got into it last June. I started a couple minutes at a time. A co-worker got me to push myself and now I jog 3.1 miles, 4 to 5 times a week. Ive lost 15 lbs so far...I love it.. as long as we are sweating we are doing good. Whether its 2 minutes or 3 miles, its better than sitting on the couch. It also helps when I go over on my caloeies (like today).
  • kmash32
    kmash32 Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    I am considered obese and yes I have started running. I usually do 30 minutes on the treadmill. I started by running 1 minute in every 5 and now I am up to alternating every 2 minutes. It isn't easy and you have to push yourself or you won't keep upping the time (or I did anyway). Watch the knees though if they bug you to much you may need to be careful.
  • trijoe
    trijoe Posts: 729 Member
    Options
    I started when I was around the 240-250 mark. Walking. Then I just kept speeding up till I was jogging a little bit here n there with my walks. Finally, I sped up enough that I was running all the time. Then I added a stationary bike. Then I added some hand weights. Then I added swimming.

Now I do triathlon all the time. That's my thing.

And it all started with walking. Lots n lots of walking.

Give yourself time and patience, and plenty of room to not be an Olympic marathoner. Just enjoy what you can do while you can do it. As you improve - and you WILL improve - enjoy your new improved workout regimen. Don't be hard on yourself for how you WERE. How you were doesn't matter. What DOES matter is how you ARE. Work every day on how you are, and this will make who you become a beast.

One of my Life Mottos: "If it's not fun I'm not doing it." Keep your walks or jogs or whatever you do fun and enjoyable. The more they become punishment for gaining weight? The less likely you are to keep them up. If possible, find a way to joke about things like "If it weren't for beer and pizza, I wouldn't be running right now." (I've always wanted to put this on a tech shirt, and wear it on race day. HA!!!) In short, just enjoy yourself. And the rest will fall into place. Honest.
  • khoshgeleh16
    khoshgeleh16 Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'8 and started running regularly when I was 267 - right now, at 234, I'm running 15 miles a week and training for a 10k (on top of quite a bit of other exercise - Zumba, walking, dance, weights). So far, I've had no problems with my knees at all, which is especially remarkable given that I have a pair of exceedingly dodgy knees (thanks, figure skating!).

If you're planning to walk/jog, it sounds like you're on the right track. Maybe download a C25k app or follow a program - just don't push yourself too hard at the outset, stick with a slow-and-steady pace, and you'll get there sooner than you think. Five months ago I struggled to run for a full minute at a time (with 2-minute walk breaks between!), and last Sunday I ran six miles. (Slowly, but I ran them!)

Also, if at all possible, find somewhere nice to run! It makes the experience so much more bearable. I spent a week having to run on a treadmill because of snow, and it was the WORST. Running along the river: a million times better! Also, trails/dirt paths are much easier on the knees and feet than paved roads, which helps.
  • determinedbutlazy
    determinedbutlazy Posts: 1,941 Member
    Options
    I started when I was around the 240-250 mark. Walking. Then I just kept speeding up till I was jogging a little bit here n there with my walks. Finally, I sped up enough that I was running all the time. Then I added a stationary bike. Then I added some hand weights. Then I added swimming.

Now I do triathlon all the time. That's my thing.

And it all started with walking. Lots n lots of walking.

Give yourself time and patience, and plenty of room to not be an Olympic marathoner. Just enjoy what you can do while you can do it. As you improve - and you WILL improve - enjoy your new improved workout regimen. Don't be hard on yourself for how you WERE. How you were doesn't matter. What DOES matter is how you ARE. Work every day on how you are, and this will make who you become a beast.

One of my Life Mottos: "If it's not fun I'm not doing it." Keep your walks or jogs or whatever you do fun and enjoyable. The more they become punishment for gaining weight? The less likely you are to keep them up. If possible, find a way to joke about things like "If it weren't for beer and pizza, I wouldn't be running right now." (I've always wanted to put this on a tech shirt, and wear it on race day. HA!!!) In short, just enjoy yourself. And the rest will fall into place. Honest.

http://www.activateapparel.com/design/33525-i-hate-running-but-i-love-pizza

I'm ordering this for my next race :D
  • wozkaa
    wozkaa Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    Possibly go with the C25K program, I did it and loved it - I was never athletic or sporty prior to that.
    I DID, however, work my way up to a level of fitness before I started it by walking 30 mins a day at least, and kept increasing my pace as I got fitter. I was walking so fast the next logical step was jogging, but I needed to built my endurance so the C25K was the next step.
    I plan on starting it again, but will also make sure that I can at least walk for 30 mins at a decent pace.
    I am sorry for your loss, I hope better things come for you. :flowerforyou:
  • EFMcG
    EFMcG Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I've had running issues due to injury. What helps me are good shoes, a foam roller (I use Trigger Point Grid), when in physical therapy I found a neat device called a Muscle Trac ( you won't get shin splints if you use it before and after a run and have good shoes on), I do lots of stretches like the hip flexors, Glutes, and it band, and make sure you consume plenty of protein and are smart about your pre and post work out consumption.

Running can be painful to get back into, but taking care of yourself properly can make it easier. Good luck! Since I have a lot of hills around where I live I use them to my advantage and it helps my run time on flat ground. I also like to incorporate other exercises into my runs like like squats and lounges, or running backwards, anything to use different muscle groups in my lower body and make it more fun!
  • Blue801
    Blue801 Posts: 442
    Options
    I'm 5'4" and started running at 320lb. No knee issues whatsoever as long as my form is good meaning no heal striking and all. I did have some metatarsalgia, but that resolved when I switched my shoes to add some cushion under the forefoot. I had been running in barefoot shoes. With your height and weight I can't imagine the weight alone being an issue that could prevent you from running. Happy running!
  • Phaedra2014
    Phaedra2014 Posts: 1,254 Member
    Options
    No. I think I am one of the few people who is opposed to jogging or running with a lot of weight on you. At my heaviest I was 260 pounds so I don't say this from a place of rudeness but from personal experience. If I had started jogging at that weight or even 190, i would have done major damage to my knees, ankles, lower back. My family doctor highly discouraged me. He said to just walk and build up distance and speed with walking.

Now I do run. I did 5.5. miles today and I still feel my body is a bit too heavy (I'm at 138 now) for longer distances. It's not that you can't run at a heavier weight, it's just not very wise because of all the weight your ankles and feet have to bear with that movement.

I know everyone has a different opinion so I am not expecting you to agree with me.
  • RamonaFr
    RamonaFr Posts: 112
    Options
    Take a hint from athletes who train very hard. Ice your knees for 15 minutes after you run, every single time! It helps to reduce pain and prevent inflammation. Don't wait until you are injured to start icing. Another thing, if you have a pool handy, is to swim for a bit in a cold pool after working out, to chill your muscles a bit and reduce inflammation. Also, warm up before running, and cool down after running by continuing to walk for five or ten minutes.
  • 1princesswarrior
    1princesswarrior Posts: 1,242 Member
    Options
    I started running at 220 and the treadmill is much harder on my joints than running outside on asphalt. Concrete is the hardest surface. I love running on trails.

I started with C25K and kept repeating it. Start by running really slow and build up your speed as you build your stamina and strength.
  • sweetcurlz67
    sweetcurlz67 Posts: 1,168 Member
    Options
    As you can see, it can be done. I started out doing a 5k on July 4, 2012 weighing about 250 by that point. Had lost about 34 lbs a few months before that from poor eating habits. That 5k began my workout routine and my path to better health. :)

You can do it!!! :)
  • clfoote350
    Options
    I'm 5'4" and started out at 215lbs. I started the C25k app and I love it. I have to repeat weeks, but it seems to work for me. I usually start my gym routine out the in the steam room to help open up my lungs a bit, then I hydrate and stretch, after that, I do my C25k run. Once I'm done with my program, I hit the pool to help out my joints, the hot tub to relax my muscles and finish off with a high protein snack. It seems to have helped with my soreness after my workouts. I'm hoping to run my first 5k this summer and eventually would like to move on to the 10k app and work up to the marathon.

Also, I suffer from depression and even the 1/2 hour program and gym routine has seemed to help my moods. I am always in a much better mood on the days I go to the gym.