Why don't I see a difference???

Options
So I've managed to loose around 6kgs in the last 2 months.
The scale says Ive lost weight, anyone who I haven't seen for the last two months is asking what happened but when I look in the mirror I look no different!

Anyone else have this problem?

Replies

• _Zardoz_
    _Zardoz_ Posts: 3,987 Member
    Options
    It all depends where the weight has come off and that can be quite random. Just keep at it and you'll get to a point where they'll be a sudden change. Also it could be your perception as well sometimes we're the last to see any changes. Congratulations on your loss so far
  • arguablysamson
    arguablysamson Posts: 1,706 Member
    Options
    So I've managed to loose around 6kgs in the last 2 months.
    The scale says Ive lost weight, anyone who I haven't seen for the last two months is asking what happened but when I look in the mirror I look no different!

Anyone else have this problem?

This is how eating disorders begin. We live with ourselves and can't see the subtle changes, but others can once they become significant. Just learn to trust the feedback and scale (and clothes fitting). Don't get reclusive. One of the big cardinal principles of weight loss is that your mind will always play tricks on you. Some days you'll "feel fat" and some days not. Our minds (along with time) are our worst opponents.
  • tashnoodle
    tashnoodle Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I have the same issue. It's probably because we look at yourselves everyday so we don't notice (just like when we suddenly notice we've put on weight even though that's gradual too).
    I used to get disheartened because I didn't see changes, but if other people are noticing and the scales are saying you've lost it don't worry. You will get to a point where you'll suddenly see the difference.

Maybe take a photo now and look at pictures from 2 months ago, or if you're still planning to lose more take another in 2 months and you should see a difference.
  • salvationsdying
    salvationsdying Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    I don't really see it but I feel it. And my dad sees it. Other people see it. Just me and my fiance dont. But we see me every day lol. As long as I feel better and the scale says something is coming off I don't worry much. Ill see it in time. And you will too! :)
  • Dewymorning
    Dewymorning Posts: 762 Member
    Options
    Did you take photos?

Sometimes we forget just how big we used to be.
  • StuartW1991
    Options
    I have actually taken pictures and cant see much difference.

It's not really a big deal to me and I don't intend starting an eating disorder (Sounds like too much trouble for me, couldn't be bothered) I mean Im obviously heading in the right direction.
    I just find it strange and wanted to know if others have the same problem. I'd like to figure out a theory behind this.
  • Meushichan
    Meushichan Posts: 82 Member
    Options

It's not really a big deal to me and I don't intend starting an eating disorder (Sounds like too much trouble for me, couldn't be bothered)

You don't choose to have an eating disorder. No one wakes up and says "Yeah, today I'm going to consciously acquire a psychological disorder (if it's not too much trouble)" >_> A little bit of a soap box here, but I've noticed that the MFP community sort of laughs off eating disorders, and it;s sort of getting to me a bit. :/

Anyway, if the weight is coming off, just enjoy it. Or if you want to literally see a difference, maybe try a different workout program?
  • StuartW1991
    Options

It's not really a big deal to me and I don't intend starting an eating disorder (Sounds like too much trouble for me, couldn't be bothered)

You don't choose to have an eating disorder. No one wakes up and says "Yeah, today I'm going to consciously acquire a psychological disorder (if it's not too much trouble)" >_> A little bit of a soap box here, but I've noticed that the MFP community sort of laughs off eating disorders, and it;s sort of getting to me a bit. :/

Anyway, if the weight is coming off, just enjoy it. Or if you want to literally see a difference, maybe try a different workout program?

That was a little insensitive of me.
    I understand that eating disorders are a major problem. I made that statement without consideration to people other than myself.

The other side to that is people will say I have an "eating disorder" because I choose the healthier option. But that's just the people I mix with.

So I said that in the context of myself and my experience.
  • QS82
    QS82 Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    I just find it strange and wanted to know if others have the same problem. I'd like to figure out a theory behind this.

I can't speak for others but I did have this too, and although i'm no psychologist I think that for me it has been because my body shape took some time to start changing, so to begin with although I was slimmer, my overall body shape remained the same, just a bit smaller, and ergo my mental map, if you like, of what I looked like seemed no different to me at all despite the fact that others could see a difference. This carried on until I started noticing my body shape was improving and things were getting leaner, and the outline of things long forgotten (like bones and muscles!) we appearing.

No doubt it is different for everyone, and if some people lose their weight from one or two places much more than everywhere else to begin with then it's probably quite noticable even early on, not to mention likely quite motivating!
    Well done on what you have lost so far, plod on, take measurements, enjoy. :smile:
  • lemur_lady
    lemur_lady Posts: 350 Member
    Options
    I have lost 83lbs and am finding it hard to see a difference. I think the problem with me is I was in denial about how big I got. So I have been this big in my head all along. Now my body has caught up to where I was in my mind I dont feel like I have changed much if you see what I mean.
  • Trying2Recover
    Options
    i've lost 50lbs altogether & still dont see much difference.
  • StuartW1991
    Options

I can't speak for others but I did have this too, and although i'm no psychologist I think that for me it has been because my body shape took some time to start changing, so to begin with although I was slimmer, my overall body shape remained the same, just a bit smaller, and ergo my mental map, if you like, of what I looked like seemed no different to me at all despite the fact that others could see a difference. This carried on until I started noticing my body shape was improving and things were getting leaner, and the outline of things long forgotten (like bones and muscles!) we appearing.

+1

I really like this! :D
  • doglover1984
    doglover1984 Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    I thing that I found really helpful was to take a picture of yourself every couple of months and then you can photo shop them beside each other that really helped me see the difference. Your weight loss is great keep up the awesome job.
  • einzweidrei
    einzweidrei Posts: 381 Member
    Options
    First things first: I didn't really "see" that I lost weight until I lost about twenty pounds. Neither did anyone else. Sometimes, depending on where you lose the weight, how much you have to lose, etc. you might not really see much. Give it some time---yeah, it could be a mental thing but it could just be that you see yourself all day/everyday so you don't see the subtle changes others might see.

Secondly, and I wish I did this: take photos/measurements. You will find a lot of people have a hard time seeing their weight loss. I am one of those people. It took me awhile to admit I actually looked thinner but I regularly have to talk my brain out of the fact that IT doesn't see what everyone else sees. My brain might still say, "Fatty fat fat fat" but I know it's not true. I KNOW there is a difference. I just wish I had the pictures/measurements in hand.
  • brosis85
    brosis85 Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    Try not to be to hard on yourself. We all go through it. I have lost 50 pounds ... 40 since I started using MFP and even though in pictures there is an obvious difference, there are days where I look at myself and still see the same person I saw before. Just because your physical appearance changes doesn't mean that you as a person have changed so its hard to look past that sometimes! Just trust all the great feedback and keep telling yourself that you are on the right track!
  • wnbrice
    wnbrice Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    Just start taking measurements. I recommend

Hips
    Waist
    Neck
    Chest.

Gives you some solid numbers to latch on to as you lose weight
  • xWendyJonesx
    xWendyJonesx Posts: 266 Member
    Options
    I agree with what others have said, take some pics of yourself.

I couldn't see any difference in myself until I did the side by side pics (see my profile pic), then I could see what other people were seeing, now I'm taking pics every 2 months, it really does help.
  • EHisCDN
    EHisCDN Posts: 480 Member
    Options
    I struggle to see my own weight loss sometimes. That's why I take pictures and measure. However my biggest progress marker so far is whenever I feel my "new" muscles and bones. The first time I felt muscles in my arm was amazing. And beginning to be able to feel definition in my stomach is encouraging me to keep going. Strength training has really helped transform my shape and I've seen more results with that than ever before.

I too, like others mentioned, never saw myself as particularly large. I lived in a place of denial and the image I saw of myself in the mirror was smaller than I actually was. Now I look pretty much the same as I used to think so it's hard to see progress sometimes. But the way clothes fit doesn't lie so I trust that more than anything else!
  • gwenpally
    gwenpally Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Leaving the mind out of it, I have the same problem.

I haven't taken pictures or measurements but I really wish I had! My scales say I've lost 5kg but my clothes have pretty much the same fit. I'm 5'4" so I thought 5kg would have had more of an impact. The only thing I've noticed is that my breasts have gotten slightly smaller (the one place I didn't want to lost any weight from).