How do I keep goin... ?

Options
I've worked out before.. I usually join the gym every once in a couple of years and then get bored of it in a month or two. I really wish to keep going and feel that its different this time but I figure that I'll need something to keep up the enthusiasm.

I have tried getting a workout buddy, music, tracking rigorously so it motivates... Nothing really worked for more than a couple of months.

Please help and thanks xo.

Replies

• PriscillaLaine
    PriscillaLaine Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    Maybe you could look in to group glasses, rather than just going to the actual gym bit?

I get the same way you do, but I find the classes tend to be more fun. You can vary what you're doing so you don't get stuck in a monotonous routine, also if they get a good turn out, it's like having more than just one gym buddy (:
  • shinkalork
    shinkalork Posts: 815 Member
    Options
    Can't stand the gym so i decided to train at home.

You can do many different type of programs and alternate. Don't need too many things depending.
    Don't need to travel,can do it when you want. Some are from 20 min to an hour long. So you can plan them with your schedule etc.

I prefer to do my workout that way.

I did so many beachbody programs and lost so many pounds and inches. It works! Gym aren't required for success!
  • Emi1974
    Emi1974 Posts: 522 Member
    Options
    I had three gym memberships during the years. I start out great...... then I slack off. This time I don't want to do the same mistake.

I will not do the same thing that didn't work out in the past. I will do something I know I can do every day, no excuses. Walking, home DVD's. i was always too lazy to put on workout clothes and get in the car for a gym session. No more excuses. Yesterday I worked out in PJ's.

Do what works for you. It shouldn't be chore you have to do.
  • GiveMeCoffee
    GiveMeCoffee Posts: 3,556 Member
    Options
    I don't like the gym so getting a gym membership would be a waste of money for me, I took that money invested in home equipment and I use it and love it.

If you don't like the gym find something you do like that you will use. As Emi1974 said, don't continue to do the same thing over and over again and expect different results.

Once you find an exercise/activity you enjoy make it part of your routine and just get it done!
  • Filletsteak
    Filletsteak Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    I agree with all the posts above. Try to figure out what would suit you best - time-wise, money-wise etc.. I walk a lot and use weights when working out at home. It's free. Do you want to go to a class, a gym, do exercise DVDs? Maybe have a look on YouTube and try a couple of different types of workouts? It's a very personal thing - run, walk - do what you want to do. Good luck with it, have fun!
  • cgarand
    cgarand Posts: 541 Member
    Options
    I like to mix up my workouts so I don't get bored. There is no way around it. I need to work out. I do yoga, ChaLean Extreme, elliptical, hike, random dance parties...etc. If you are bored then change up what you are doing.
  • GillianMcK
    GillianMcK Posts: 401 Member
    Options
    I was like that, got a gym membership, went loads at the start and then the excuses came and it was cancelled at the end of the contract.
    I found a local bootcamp that I started going to, the guy that runs it initially done 4 bootcamps a week (well 6 if you included the nights that there were 2 on) and personal training, since then he's got access to a bigger gym and now still does bootcamps and personal training but also does womens weights, core, meta-fit, circuits, kick-boxing, kettlebells and is looking at the Insanity classes, I've been going for nearly 2 years now and am currently training for a marathon.
    We have a really good group of people and it's like meeting for an hour to be with friends, we meet up outside of working out (mainly to go running or take part in events).

Is there anything similar near you, I's still losing weight and can still remember the morning after that first bootcamp (my 98 year old granny could have moved faster than me) but I wouldn't change it and can't imagine going back to watching TV in the evening!!!
  • blahbberqueen
    Options
    Thanks! We have these training classes which do different activities each day... Cardio on Day 1, Weight training on Day 2, Power Yoga on Day 3 and so on... They even have bollywood dance on one of the days! I plan to enrol but later... I guess it'd be more beneficial to keep fit once I'm at the weight I want to maintain. Hmm?
  • blahbberqueen
    Options
    I had three gym memberships during the years. I start out great...... then I slack off. This time I don't want to do the same mistake.

I will not do the same thing that didn't work out in the past. I will do something I know I can do every day, no excuses. Walking, home DVD's. i was always too lazy to put on workout clothes and get in the car for a gym session. No more excuses. Yesterday I worked out in PJ's.

Do what works for you. It shouldn't be chore you have to do.

Thanks! Its nice to know there are others who feel the same way. I tried to make it more achievable by joining a gym right opposite my apartment.
  • blahbberqueen
    Options
    Maybe you could look in to group glasses, rather than just going to the actual gym bit?

I get the same way you do, but I find the classes tend to be more fun. You can vary what you're doing so you don't get stuck in a monotonous routine, also if they get a good turn out, it's like having more than just one gym buddy (:

Thanks! We have these training classes which have different activities each day... Cardio on Day 1, Weight training on Day 2, Power Yoga on Day 3 and so on... They even have bollywood dance on one of the days! I plan to enrol but later... I guess it'd be more beneficial to keep fit once I'm at the weight I want to maintain. Hmm?
  • scraver2003
    scraver2003 Posts: 528 Member
    Options

Thanks! We have these training classes which have different activities each day... Cardio on Day 1, Weight training on Day 2, Power Yoga on Day 3 and so on... They even have bollywood dance on one of the days! I plan to enrol but later... I guess it'd be more beneficial to keep fit once I'm at the weight I want to maintain. Hmm?

Later? Why later? No time like the present. (did I spell that right?) Anyway. Do it now. Don't wait. It would be more beneficial for you to start right away.

I keep motivated by giving my workouts purpose... I like doing 5k's. I signed up for a bunch this year. So I am working out to get better at running nad it is not just working out to work out.