Big effort , No loss

Options
2»

Replies

• GiveMeCoffee
    GiveMeCoffee Posts: 3,556 Member
    Options
    As was mentioned above, it's been 11 days, this takes time it also takes being honest with yourself and your logging. Your diary looks like you are guessing on portions you are eating, digital scale really helps with this. Also stay away from other members recipe entries, and generic entries in the database.

You are off to a good start, now fine tune your logging, measuring and have patience. Good luck
  • Galatea_Stone
    Galatea_Stone Posts: 2,037 Member
    Options
    (Dear posters commenting about a fried egg: a large egg is 70 calories, she's entered 92, to account for oil)

That aside, OP, you do need to weigh and measure everything. Also, when it comes to exercise, MFP is not always accurate.

You should consider finding your TDEE, at a website like Scooby's Workshop or IIFYM. Eat at TDEE-20%.

Lastly, if you are doing everything right, give it time. The body often retains water at the beginning of a new exercise program.

I'm willing to bet that your problem is a combination of all of these elements.

Wishing you luck.
  • dortilolma
    dortilolma Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    So tonnes of people have replied - my 2 cents:

My stats aren't very different from yours. It took me nearly three weeks of rigorous MFP logging and running pretty much every day before those damn scales finally shifted.

I had a simple plan where I was going to start at 1200 on my first week - up to 1300 on my second week then up to 1400 on the third week and stay there. I thought it was interesting that it wasn't until I was at 1400 that I actually started losing. I'm aware everybody is different and because of that we need to experiment a bit and find out what is the best option for us for long term weight loss. Experiment with different goals for a week each and see what happens.

Another thing that has already been mentioned - don't trust MFP's figures for excercise. I use a heart rate monitor and then only log about 80% of the calories it states I've used.
  • Kargicq
    Kargicq Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    Also, I (and many others) find that increasing your amount of exercise leads to temporary water retention due to muscle repair. Every time I change up my routine, enough to make me feel sore, I see 10-14 days of big weight fluctuations before things settle down. Stick with it and keep up the good work!
  • djs2303
    djs2303 Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    Are you drinking plenty of water? and I mean plenty....Water helps with weight loss, and appetite control.

I started for a month of 1200, I lost 13 lbs. This week ive upped to around 1500-1700 (depending if its workout day) im hitting the gym 3 time s a week also, doing mainly cardio, but this week I have also started with resistance weights.
  • FlaxMilk
    FlaxMilk Posts: 3,452 Member
    Options
    While you haven't gained muscle, with the amount of exercise you are doing, you could be holding onto fluid weight to help repair your muscles. Are you taking a rest day? If yes, weigh yourself after the rest day. If your food entries are accurate, you may want to consider eating a bit more, not because your body is holding onto its fat, but so that you don't run out of steam.

Silly and unlikely suggestion: pick up something heavy and step on your scale. Step on again without the heavy item. The last three scales I own have a "reliability" factor built in which automatically makes me weigh the same as the last time I weighed if it's within a couple of pounds. (It's really annoying.)
  • djs2303
    Options
    ive just looked at your diary, its very 'carby' lots of bread, also, past week, every morning its bread, fried egg, bacon.....every day? again no expert but I don't think that's a great 'balanced' diet. Try cereal, try cutting bread down to two slices a day, have more baked beans (try scrambled egg and baked beans on toast for breakfast)

Also, another one is battered fish, have you tried breaded? Going back a couple weeks, one of your salad's are 245 cals....that's a ridiculous amount of calories for a salad. is that from the data base or from your own recipe?
  • November_Fire
    November_Fire Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    ive just looked at your diary, its very 'carby' lots of bread, also, past week, every morning its bread, fried egg, bacon.....every day? again no expert but I don't think that's a great 'balanced' diet. Try cereal, try cutting bread down to two slices a day, have more baked beans (try scrambled egg and baked beans on toast for breakfast)

Also, another one is battered fish, have you tried breaded? Going back a couple weeks, one of your salad's are 245 cals....that's a ridiculous amount of calories for a salad. is that from the data base or from your own recipe?
    I eat 2 whole eggs, 4 egg whites, 2 slices of bacon and a bagel with cream cheese everyday basically. What's wrong with that?

Are your goals and calorific needs the same as hers?
  • djs2303
    Options

I eat 2 whole eggs, 4 egg whites, 2 slices of bacon and a bagel with cream cheese everyday basically. What's wrong with that?

@ Emberlain....Any need? This lady is asking opinions, I've gave mine. I am indeed talking about a balanced diet, having fried bacon and eggs isn't balanced. She is asking for help, opinions, and advice.

@MrM27...sounds great, really nice breakfast :) wish I could eat something like that daily :D
  • eldamiano
    eldamiano Posts: 2,667 Member
    Options

@ Emberlain....Any need? This lady is asking opinions, I've gave mine. I am indeed talking about a balanced diet, having fried bacon and eggs isn't balanced. She is asking for help, opinions, and advice.

@MrM27...sounds great, really nice breakfast :) wish I could eat something like that daily :D

Bacon and eggs isnt balanced? What is this supposed to mean?
  • November_Fire
    November_Fire Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    @djs.
    I was agreeing with you. Balanced is good. The person I disagreed with was the one able, due to a totally different lifestyle, eat in a different way - lucky him, but I'm not sure disagreed that recommending high quantities of eggs, bagels and cream cheese to someone with a loss issue was really the best advice.
  • Vicxie86
    Vicxie86 Posts: 181 Member
    Options
    (Dear posters commenting about a fried egg: a large egg is 70 calories, she's entered 92, to account for oil)

That aside, OP, you do need to weigh and measure everything. Also, when it comes to exercise, MFP is not always accurate.

You should consider finding your TDEE, at a website like Scooby's Workshop or IIFYM. Eat at TDEE-20%.

Lastly, if you are doing everything right, give it time. The body often retains water at the beginning of a new exercise program.

I'm willing to bet that your problem is a combination of all of these elements.

Wishing you luck.

Sorry but an average typical large egg weighing 50g is 78kcal and if your egg weighs more than that (just weighed mine at 63kg which results in 98kcal), you could very well be overeating slowly without realising it. Sure 20kcal won't kill you or stall progress by a lot but if you're like me and eat 3-4 eggs a day, that is 60-80kcal per day and 420-560 kcal over the weekly allowance. In the long run, it all adds up.
  • Aaron_K123
    Aaron_K123 Posts: 7,122 Member
    Options
    Even if you were losing fat at exactly the pace you were expecting your weight loss can be masked by random fluctuations in water retention that happen. You aren't going to be able to see clear differences in your scale weight until at least 6 weeks out. Your weight will go down, it will go up and it will fluctuate randomly 6 pounds in either direction just because of water retention. Increased sodium or increased exercise both cause your body to retain water.

Long story short you aren't going to know if you are actually losing fat by measuring yourself on a scale until a couple months have past. A tape measurer around your belly might be a better indicator.
  • floresjessica
    floresjessica Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Also, remember that weight is only one indication of your success. I was feeling really discouraged this week, and then I started trying on clothes that used to be too small for me, and they fit perfectly!!! So even if the scale isn't showing it, you might be making good progress. Don't give up. Keep pushing.
  • Aaron_K123
    Aaron_K123 Posts: 7,122 Member
    Options
    It is a mistake to consider changes in your scale weight to be meaningful over time periods measured in days or weeks. You can log that often if you want but understand you won't see any clear trends until you have logged for at least 2 months.