What to have for breakfast

Options
So I have to wake up pretty early but before I leave I try to get a quick workout in so something pretty easy or quick or that I can make the night before. I'm doing a diet program at my local gym where I need to eat extra protein (15ish grams) for breakfast and a good amount of carbs so I can decrease the amount as the day goes on. Any ideas?

Replies

• pandagirl813
    pandagirl813 Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    I did a bit of googling and i found Yogurt, Egg Whites, Top Round Steak, Chicken Breast, Sweet Potato, Pork Tenderloin, and Asparagus have tons of both.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    scrambled eggs
  • Blue801
    Blue801 Posts: 442
    Options
    Omlet. Cheesy hammy peppery omletty goodness.
  • ashleearoha
    ashleearoha Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    1/2 cup oats, 1 cup of water (or almond milk, normal milk..) 1/2 cup egg whites, 1 whole egg. Cook them all together on the stovetop. Add cinnamon and vanilla extract for sweetness and I top with sliced banana :)
    Tastes amazing every time. Lots of protein and good amount of carbs and is very filling and adds to around 350 calories.
  • tradja
    tradja Posts: 11
    Options
    In reality, only about 30 minutes elapses between my alarm and when I start working out at the gym at work (then shower and dress at work). If I eat anything solid first, it doesn't have time to digest before the workout hits high gear and I REALLY regret it. :embarassed:

So I just get up, immediately pound 8oz of fruit juice with 1t of creatine, and arrive at the gym 30 minutes later without a heavy belly but with about 120 readily-absorbed calories ready to go. Immediately after the workout, I drink half of the 1L smoothie that I made the night before (whey isolate, ON Pro Complex, 2c raw kale, seasonal fruit, powdered milk, sometimes PB, a banana, bee pollen, frozen berries, etc). By the time I sit down at my desk at 7:50, I've got ~35g of protein in my belly. I drink the other half of the smoothie around 10am or 11am. I've found that if I try to work out that early on an empty stomach I just bonk badly.

I've been doing the smoothie breakfast for several months now and really like it, especially as a way to ingest a lot of raw kale which is absurdly cheap where I live ($0.17 for a bundle the size of my thigh). The fresh fruit (papaya, pineapple, a whole mango, sometimes a whole avocado) keeps it tasty and it is just a few minutes to make the night before. I store it in a 1L widemouth Nalgene bottle in the fridge and grab it on my way out the door.

On weekends, I'll have a nice breakfast of 2 eggs scrambled with tomato and onion, with refried black beans, a few fried plantains, a fresh corn tortilla, and fruit. On weekends, I'm not hitting a high intensity workout and am just walking or hiking so I can handle the heavier breakfast.
  • canadjineh
    canadjineh Posts: 5,396 Member
    Options
    Oatmeal cooks overnight in the crock pot and is hot & ready as soon as you get up. Set it up just before bed, turn it on, and voila, instant hot breaky in the AM. Add pumpkin seeds, dried fruit, lots of cinnamon. It's all YUM!
  • diamonds4u
    diamonds4u Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I use the egg beaters with chopped budding ham and a pinch of shredded cheese. Less than 250 calories and packed with protien! So yummy I add salt and pepper. The southwest egg beaters is my fav, but the store doesnt always have it.
  • muzichick
    muzichick Posts: 331 Member
    Options
    My go-to light but protein-packed breakfast is 1/2 cup blueberries, 2 tablespoons Skinny B (A mix of chia, hemp and buckwheat) and 3/4 cup of plain, 0% greek yoghurt. Depending exactly on brands, that is ~300 calories, 32g carbs, 25g protein, and 8 grams of fibre.
  • TheLadyMaxwell
    TheLadyMaxwell Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Ashleearoha... Definitely trying the oats & eggs for breakfast tomorrow... Thanks!!!:happy:
  • gracewantsthin
    Options
    I make crepe batter and leave it in the fridge over night. Then I just heat up the pan in the morning really quick and make one and add toppings. The batter is generally pretty healthy since I use one that uses an egg, milk, flour - no butter or sugar. It tastes great with some cinnamon and nutmeg.

For toppings, I usually just keep it simple. Like a banana. One time I was feeling ambitious and decided to break up a chocolate chip cookie and put it inside (oops)
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    Options
    You can make a frittata with veggies, meat and cheese and just have a piece in the morning.

I'm very fond of oatmeal with eggs too. I use 1 cup of milk, 1/2 cup quick oats, a bit of vanilla, one beaten egg, nuke it for 2.5 minutes, then add some maple syrup. So good.

Or you could have Greek yogurt with fruit and granola. Protein pancakes. Crepes with ham and cheese. Egg, cheese and sausage tortilla.

Lots of possibilities.
  • JimmyJazzMX
    JimmyJazzMX Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    13535749555_4f5e85fa5e_z.jpg
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    Options

Please show me those oats that are only 56 calories for 1/3 cup...
  • Phrick
    Phrick Posts: 2,765 Member
    Options

I could see 56 cal in 1/3 cup COOKED which is what is recorded, if 1/2 cup dry is 140ish (though I agree with you it's unlikely and I'm hoping he eats more than 1/3 cup cooked oats anyway)
  • JimmyJazzMX
    JimmyJazzMX Posts: 55 Member
    Options

The serving size of these oats is ¼ cup dry grain. When cooked with the recommended water portions (usually about a cup), you end up with roughly 1 whole cup of a finished product. Because the water obviously adds no caloric value, there are roughly 170 calories in one cup of cooked steel cut oats (the same amount of calories in ¼ cup, uncooked).

So 170 / 3 = 56.66

I simmer a cup of dry with 4 cups of water for about 30 minutes, then allow to cool in the covered pan. This gives me enough for a week using 1/3c per day. And truth be told, it is suffice (filling) with the hemp hearts and yogurt.
  • pamt1999
    pamt1999 Posts: 19
    Options
    I've been having a hard boiled egg and a kefir smoothie for breakfast on most days. I make my own kefir and add frozen fruit to it (strawberry, banana, raspberries, blueberries, pineapple (not all at the same time but those are the fruits I've used)). Lots of protein. I tend not to eat high calorie breakfasts so this is only just over 200 calories BUT you could have a bigger smoothie or 2 eggs instead of 1.

The only time in the morning is in making the smoothie. It takes about 2 minutes to blend it. The kefir is done the night before and put in the refrigerator. And, the eggs can be boiled at night, too.

I often go to the gym at about 4:30 am but I don't eat until after I work out. Most of the time, I don't eat until I get to work so I make the smoothie and bring it with me. I actually have to take thyroid medication and am not supposed to eat until an hour later . . . and I don't take my meds until after I get back from the gym.
  • cgarand
    cgarand Posts: 541 Member
    Options
    I make hard boiled eggs and keep them in the fridge. Great for a quick breakfast or on the go snack. I also love Shakeology. And, I prep a lot of my fruits and veggies when I go shopping. I get a container and put an assortment in, I call it my 'bento box'. And, breakfast doesn't always have to be breakfast food. I had leftover roasted veggies and a hard boiled egg this am.
  • mesia33
    mesia33 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    http://www.skinnytaste.com/2009/03/broccoli-and-cheese-mini-egg-omelets-2.html I love these because you can put whatever you want in them, make a batch, pop them in the fridge and heat them up in the microwave.

I also like the Applegate chicken breakfast sausage links. 3 links is 120 calories, 3g of carbs and 10g of protein and they're delicious.
  • EHisCDN
    EHisCDN Posts: 480 Member
    Options
    Cottage cheese has a lot of protein. I'm not a big breakfast eater but one serving of cottage cheese gives 16g of protein. You could also put it in some scrambled eggs yum yum!

I also like Greek yoghurt with fruit or peanut butter on toast. Or make a turkey bacon egg mcmuffin on an English muffin (cheese is optional).
  • OverDoIt
    OverDoIt Posts: 332 Member
    Options
    Drink egg whites. 1 to 2 cups. Rocky,Rocky,Rocky !!!!!