How long will it take me to lose 30 pounds?

Options
Hello. I'm a 5'2" girl who weighs 150 pounds. I need to lose at least 30 pounds. I have been logging my food for a week now. I've also been jogging every morning for 30 minutes. I've also managed to eat under 1200 calories. I was just wondering if any of you guys know how long it will take me to lose 30 pounds if I continue with my daily routine? All help will be appreciated. <3

Replies

• missiontofitness
    missiontofitness Posts: 4,074 Member
    Options
    You should be trying to eat a healthy amount according to your BMR and your weight loss goals.

Working out, eating at a deficit of under 1,200 calories a day, and not eating back some of your exercise calories may cause you to log an unsafe amount for the day. If you lose any weight, it will most likely come back when you up your calories. I aim for anywhere from 1,300-1,700+ a day, depending on my activity level, and I've seen consistent results.

Please make sure you are making healthful decisions.
  • Meushichan
    Meushichan Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    Do a search in this forum for "1200 calories" and read all those topics. I promise, if you read them, they will make sense. Because under 1200 is NOT going to help you lose weight in the long run (besides being super unhealthy).
  • oxers
    oxers Posts: 259 Member
    Options
    Babe, even if I calculate at sedentary, with your stats and at your age, your BMR is 1400. That's the basic amount your body needs to function, and eating under that won't get you very far. You may drop the weight, but it's not healthy and it'll probably come back. Consider upping your intake, picking up some strength training to guard against losing muscle and being patient. At your size, you shouldn't be losing more than a pound a week, maybe less. The slower it takes, the more stable it is. Be patient, be safe, and fuel yourself.
  • _Zardoz_
    _Zardoz_ Posts: 3,987 Member
    Options
    Hello. I'm a 5'2" girl who weighs 150 pounds. I need to lose at least 30 pounds. I have been logging my food for a week now. I've also been jogging every morning for 30 minutes. I've also managed to eat under 1200 calories. I was just wondering if any of you guys know how long it will take me to lose 30 pounds if I continue with my daily routine? All help will be appreciated. <3
    Going by this whatever weight you lose you are likely to put back on. You really need to eat more. In all likelihood you could eat around 1600 calories or more and still lose weight. You do not need to suffer or starve to lose weight you though need to be realistic. You only have a small amount to lose so it will be slow. Put your numbers into MFP select .5 pound a week weightloss then use those figures and eat the majority of your exercise calories back. Weigh and measure all your food accurately and you'll lose weight without starving yourself and in all likelihood keep it off. You may need to adjust the calorie amounts at points but that is a starting point

You did not put the weight on over night so it wont come off that quick. You do not need to suffer to lose it though you just need to be accurate and realistic. Good luck
  • theavevo
    theavevo Posts: 3
    Options
    Thank you guys for all the feedback! I was only following what mfp told me, hence the 1200 calorie intake. I did saw some posts about the 1200 calories system, and the complaints about it. I'll try upping my calorie intake and see what happens.
  • Meushichan
    Meushichan Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    I found this, and it finally clicked!
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/931670-bmr-and-tdee-explained-for-those-needing-a-guide

(Meant to post that with my first post, sorreh!)
  • victoria_1024
    victoria_1024 Posts: 915 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'2" and started using MFP at the beginning of January and I've almost lost 30 pounds, but I started out much heavier than you. I agree with others about upping your calories.
  • Steph4454
    Steph4454 Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't worry about "how long is this going to take", because usually that mind set will = failure. Take it a day at a time and enjoy the ups and learn from the downs :) Do it girl!
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options

theres no need to eat under 1200 cals, you should aim to lose 1lb per week, so 30 weeks is a good estimate.
  • Mischievous_Rascal
    Mischievous_Rascal Posts: 1,791 Member
    Options
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/931670-bmr-and-tdee-explained-for-those-needing-a-guide

This has saved me tons of typing time. Full of good info. This is the best calculator I've found to get my calorie goal: http://scoobysworkshop.com/accurate-calorie-calculator/

Best of luck!
  • buzybev
    buzybev Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    Thank you guys for all the feedback! I was only following what mfp told me, hence the 1200 calorie intake. I did saw some posts about the 1200 calories system, and the complaints about it. I'll try upping my calorie intake and see what happens.

Do you have mfp set to lose 2lbs per week? That's definitely too aggressive of a goal for the amount you are trying to lose. I would recommend setting it to either .5 or 1 lb a week. The losses will be slower but more sustainable in the long run.
  • capergrrl
    capergrrl Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I have lost weight in the past and am currently working at losing weight again. 5 pounds per month is the average for me- i'm 5'5" and started out at 168. It took 3 mohts for me to REALLY see and feel a difference and I was frusterated alot, but it feels totally worth it now. Best of luck! Add me as a friend if you'd like! :)
  • theavevo
    theavevo Posts: 3
    Options

Thank you so much! This was a huge help. I can now finally understand the TDEE thing.

To others, thank you for being supportive! <3