Grocery Shopping/Budget Questions!

Options
1. How much do you spend weekly on groceries? Be sure to mention how many people are in your household and if the amount you give includes other household items like toilet paper, shampoo, pet food, etc.

2. For those of you eating right on a budget ($50 or less per adult), how do you do it? Do you coupon? If not, what cheap, but healthy foods do you buy to keep you under budget?

MY ANSWER: It's just me and my husband and we spend anywhere from $125 to over $200 every week at the grocery store, and this includes all of the things I mentioned, plus paper towels, cleaning supplies, plastic baggies, etc. We're usually pretty close to $150 on a "normal" week. We don't really HAVE to worry about money since we both work and we don't have kids, but I still do wish we could spend less.

This weekend, we went out and bought food for his mom to cook at our house on Saturday night. I ended up getting a few non-food items like new measuring spoons/cups, Tupperware, and a big pack of paper towels, but it ended up being about $95 (and we were cooking chicken - not steak or something expensive). Sunday is our grocery shopping day, so most of what we bought was food except for some dish soap, and it was $157. And we don't buy a bunch of extra snacks or anything. So that's over $250 in food and other household items in just one weekend. Woah, too much for my comfort level. Granted, I bought a bag of shrimp for a whopping $25, but still. Thankfully we hadn't run out of protein powder, because that's an additional $75 for both of us. Looking for tips on how to stay cheap without coupons (no patience for it) while still staying healthy.

Replies

• muah3iluvzu06
    muah3iluvzu06 Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    We spend about $450-$500 per month and this includes toiletries & cleaning supplies (which we typically get at Costco, so we don't have to buy it often). We're a household of two (just me & the hubby) and we live in WA state. I think where you live also makes a huge difference on grocery cost.
  • littlelaura
    littlelaura Posts: 1,028 Member
    Options
    I just did this tally last weekend to figure out a better budget. I need to feed 3 people and 2 dogs. On average my grocery bill is about $300 a week so $100 per person but like you this includes a bag of dry dog food $20 a week, and cleaners, toiletries, so not just entirely food. I do buy only healthy foods, I limit the fresh fruits and veggies to what I can absolutely eat in a week so no more than 2 pieces of fruit per person per day, I only buy lettuce, tomatoes, cucumbers for a simple salad, some green peppers, onions, one bag of potatoes, carrots, celery. I keep it simple. I can make soups, bake anything, with those basics. I buy frozen veggies, frozen fruit, healthier cuts of meats. I have an adult child living at home who has extreme food allergies so must by expensive meats like bison or turkey. I tend to avoid most of the middle aisles, I get low fat dairy like greek yogurt and cottage cheese in the brands I like, no sense in buying a different brand or store brand if it doesn't taste good as no one eats those and they get thrown away. I also live in NY so everything is more expensive here. I also am struggling because the coupons are for boxed crap or bulk number of items. I don't want either. I cant really find ways to save and wish I could spending $1000 a month on food sucks. From that $300 if you deduct the dog food -$20 a week, and - $30 for some cleaning supplies and toiletries, that's $250/ or $83 per person per week for food...less than $12 a day per person. I need to figure out something different.
  • jd5351
    jd5351 Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    There are 3 of us in the house...2 adults and 1 4 year old..

We spend usually between 150-200/wk on groceries. If we're in a crunch and I go to the store ALONE I can spend as little as 80.00 for the week. My husband has no impulse control and jacks up the budget..lol

I like Aldi a lot for budget shopping. Their food quality is decent and inexpensive. The produce is hit or miss though..If I don't like how it looks when I go, I'll go somewhere else for that.
  • SmartAlec03211988
    SmartAlec03211988 Posts: 1,896 Member
    Options
    Just me and my husband. We spend 40 euro (55 USD) a week on groceries, not including any other household items. No coupons.

Eggs, beans, Ezekiel bread, Greek yogurt, bacon, ground turkey, crushed tomatoes, garlic, onions, frozen veggies, frozen fruit, mixed nuts, almond milk, rice, etc.
  • greytniki
    greytniki Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    I'm single. I buy most of my non grocery items at a dollar/discount store or when its on clearance, sale or I have a good coupon. I use my grocery stores "perks" program that has an app for my phone where I can clip coupons. I spend between $40 and $60 a week. I look for really good sales on meat and or marked down meat because its close to its expiration date. I either freeze it right away or cook and freeze it in individual serving sizes. I buy whatever fruits and veggies are on sale. This saves me money but also forces me to have a variety as each week sales items vary. I like beef jerky as a snack. For a while I was buying individual bags (single servings for anywhere from $2.99 a bag to $3.69). I decided that even though single servings were easy it was more cost efficient to buy a bigger bag with 3 to 4 servings per bag for $3.99. We pay for convenience so I have looked at other places in my grocery list I could do the same. For instance I eat almonds. Easy to buy the 100 calorie packs and mentally easier for me to be accountable but if I buckle down and have a little self control I can buy a bigger bulk container for considerably less money per serving. Just a few ideas.
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,742 Member
    Options
    1. How much do you spend weekly on groceries? Be sure to mention how many people are in your household and if the amount you give includes other household items like toilet paper, shampoo, pet food, etc.

<> We spend between $30-60 on groceries each week. It's just my husband and I, no kids.

But that does not include other household items, sorry to screw up your 'survey'! hehe For us, groceries is a whole other category totally unrelated to items like cleaning supplies, toiletries, and pet care/food. We don't buy ANY of that stuff at the stores where we typically purchase groceries and our purchases in those categories are all over the place...we spend maybe $20/month on toiletries mainly at Big Lots and Target, cleaning supplies are purchased sporadically but never more than $10-15/month at Target, dollar stores, and/or natural food stores, and my husband buys cat food and supplies (litter etc) at Petsmart for around $30/month.

2. For those of you eating right on a budget ($50 or less per adult), how do you do it? Do you coupon? If not, what cheap, but healthy foods do you buy to keep you under budget?

<> Nope, we occasionally use a coupon here & there on something like cleaning supplies or at-home haircolor, but for the most part we don't buy any of the national brands that offer coupons. We actually prefer a lot of store brands/generic and at least 70% of our food comes from the produce and bulk aisles. We buy a lot of seasonal produce and for off-season items we go with frozen. Our grocery spending is split about 50/40/10 between Aldi, a regional chain called Food 4 Less, and a small natural food store near our home. We don't buy meat other than seafood, because my husband is pescetarian and I hate touching and preparing meat (I do order chicken and beef sometimes in restaurants). We eat a lot of vegetables, fruit, eggs, beans, nuts, lentils, rice, and some cheese, yogurt, almond milk, etc. Rounding it out with fresh spices and quality chocolate. Honestly I'm in my mid 30's and have been grocery shopping for a very long time and even in my previous marriage to a non-healthy eater (who also ate meat and insisted on many name brand items) I have seriously never spent over $50/person per week...I don't mean to sound snotty or anything, but I never quite understand how my friends and family spend so much on groceries to be honest. I am frugal to a fault, though!! And when I splurge, it's usually on things other than groceries. We do go out to eat 1-2 times per week but do not spend a lot on that either.

ETA: The #1 thing that has always helped me is making a list of exactly which meals I'm going to make each week. Usually 7-10 meal ideas for a week. We do have stuff on hand for a quick lunch, varied breakfasts, or baking...but in general, we buy only food for the precise meal ideas on our list.
  • mediamogulsteve
    mediamogulsteve Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    There are 2 adults and a 17-year-old in our house. We typically spend around $100 each week at the grocery store. (All of our household necessities like paper towels, toilet paper, kleenex, etc. are purchased at Sam's Club which we do not go to every week.) So, our grocery tab is literally just the food we plan on eating for the next week.

Since I do 99.9% of the cooking, I look at what's on sale or in season and try to plan meals around that. We also buy as many store brands as possible (canned foods, meats, dairy, etc.) Admittedly, there are some things where we buy the more expensive name brand (the real Honey Bunches of Oats with Almonds tastes better than its generic counterpart.) I buy the Greek yogurt that is on sale that particular week regardless of brand.

I try to prepare enough servings of dinner so that I can have at least one lunch. The initial cost of an additional serving is a lot cheaper (and healthier) than going out for lunch - plus, it's already in My Foods or My Recipes for easier tracking.

We do have the luxury of having a freezer so we do buy value packs or bulk items on occasion. I will separate a 4 pound bag of mixed veggies into 3-4 smaller use portions. A tray of pork chops at Sam's Club is enough for 3 meals for us.

This is going to sound crazy, but I *try* to keep things around $2-$5/person per meal. I guess it depends on what your menu goals are and how big your budget is. Like all things, there's always a way to find balance.
  • sunandskies
    sunandskies Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    1) I do about $400 / month for myself and my boyfriend (so $50 per person per week). Sometimes a little more sometimes a little less. We include any cleaning / paper products in with that budget, but always buy giant sizes so don't need to buy them that often.

2) I don't buy things that aren't on sale (exception necessities like milk or eggs, and bananas, because those are always cheap). I have less than zero brand loyalty, if it's comparable quality and cheaper I'm buying it. There's always some kind of bean on sale, some brand of yogurt, a handful of fruits and veggies, some kind of meat, etc. I plan out what I'm making in a week based on what's on sale at my stores, and if it's a very good price I buy a lot of it (chicken was 1.99/lb last week and I bought about 8 pounds of chicken to stock up my freezer), which will throw off my weekly budget, but if I already have 8 pounds of meat in my freezer I can save on it next week).