45 Pounds In 90 Days, 120 Pounds Lost In Total (pics)

Options
COliver416
COliver416 Posts: 87 Member
Since I was 5 I have been clinically marked as obese. Growing up was hard. I suffered from a deconditioned heart muscle, due to my size. I was picked on and bullied every day, and because I was often the bigger person, I was then punished by the teacher. This led me to eating more and more, while at the same time, my mother put me on diet after diet, gym membership after gym membership. We went to nutritionists, hypnotists, doctors, and even a witch doctor. Yes, a witch doctor.

At the age of 13, I was 260 pounds and had a very large chest, gynocomastia (not sure of spelling). and had surgery to get that removed. I was working out every day, doing heavy weight lifting for thirty minutes to an hour a day. But, nothing seemed to work. No matter what I was doing, I couldn't figure out how to lose the weight. As I got older, I got taller, so I didn't look like I weighed 280 to 300 pounds.

At around 17, I had tried, South Beach diet, Atkins, Weight Watchers, Jenny Craig, Nutrisystem, Zone, Biggest Loser, and so many more (but I committed to none of them and lost and gained all the weight plus some). I finally had given up drinking soda and gained 10 pounds. I gave up eating meat and was still gaining weight. Finally at 18, I started running 2 miles a day and was still gaining weight. At 19 after six months of no meat, no soda, and running 2 miles a day, I got on the scale, and staring back at me in that ominous way that scales can glare at you, I saw 347 pounds staring back at me. At this point in my life, there were no pictures, there were no parties, I had no friends, I hated my body, and I didn't get what the heck was wrong. I thought I was doing everything right.

I went upstairs, I got all the diet books I could find and I locked myself away in the room. For weeks, I read diet book after diet book, bought books on nutrition, psychology, physiology, and as I started putting this information to work, I began to drop the weight. First 5 pounds, then 10 pounds, all the way down to 80 pounds loss. Then for about 2 years I kept that weight off, fluctuating up and down fifteen or twenty pounds. About two years ago, I did an extreme but unstructured weight loss plan, with no idea what I was doing. Every day my body ached, joints throbbed, I wasn't getting any stronger, I wasn't feeling any better, but I was losing weight. But it was unmanagable, and I dropped from 276 to 235 in about an 8 month period, but within six months, gained it all back.

Today, I've hit an all new low in my weight and an all new high in my fitness. In 3 months, I've lost more fat, gone down more clothing sizes, gained more lean body mass and strength, have a clear well organized plan that will take me through the rest of my life. On the 12th week of my weight loss journey. I learned from all my mistakes. I feel more energized, I feel excited to workout, my body is stronger, my joints are more protected, and I'm overall better.

My change started with understanding that i needed structured workouts, also, that I did better at high intensity workouts, which, at gyms was difficult because people could interrupt the flow. So, I began to use Beach Body workouts that a friend of mine had. Specifically Power 90 and Focus T 25. I began enjoying them a lot. But with the holidays coming, I just didn't set up time.

On December 27th 2013, I weighed myself and saw 274.2 pounds on the scale. And I decided I would commit to change permanently. I took up the best diet that I had found that I found worked for myself and that made the most sense to me. A diet referred to as Reverse Taper, pretty much my goal is to create a deficit of 30 calories for every pound of fat on my body. Taking my TDEE and such, I started the diet at a very reduced caloric balance. Which is why initially I was dropping 5 to 6 pounds a week. As my fat continued to drop off, my calories have continued to rise, and my body has continued to take shape. Also, as you'll notice and that I find amazing. The scars on my chest from my surgery have begun to lighten up as I've begun to get more and more in shape.

My starting measurements
Weight: 274.2
Waist: 48
Love Handles at Their Thickest: 50

Current Measurements
Weight 229.2
Waist 37
Love Handles: 40

Before (you can still see the scars on my chest) December 27th 2013
IMAG0291-e1395326096211.jpg
IMAG0293-e1395326045208.jpg

After March 19th 2014
986621_769485219729909_533538859_n.jpg
1624822_769485256396572_317677824_n.jpg

This is only the beginning. I have a full two year plan to completely reshape my body and then a lifetime maintenance plan. As I travel a bit occasionally, I've started creating my own fifteen minute workouts as well that bring out the high intensity I need when I can't do a beachbody program. I start my next ninety days protocol next week. My diet and eating clean habits are getting better, stronger, and easier and easier to follow (finding hugely delicious and healthy foods that I love to eat. The old junk that I used to love doesn't even appeal to me 90% of the time).

This is my life now. One committed to fitness and health. And I'm never going back to the old ways again!

Replies

• Rezelby
    Rezelby Posts: 8
    Options
    Holy. you look great. Out of curiousity, how tall are you? Gotta be 6'6 plus, right? I would assume that your current weight is a decent weight for your size.
  • FFfitgirl
    FFfitgirl Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    Incredible!!
  • COliver416
    Options
    No, only 6 feet. My weight needs to be about 190 to 200 would be a healthy weight for me.
  • Livin4me1969
    Livin4me1969 Posts: 745 Member
    Options
    Great work!!! You have done and amazing job and should be very proud!! Keep up the good work! :drinker:
  • Imcharmed
    Imcharmed Posts: 346 Member
    Options
    You've done fab, well done.
  • LRunda
    LRunda Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    Great job! I think a lot of people can attest to the yo-yo dieting and fluctuation in weight. One thing that is different for me this time is that I never said I want to lose x amount of weight by this time. I committed myself for a year and going from there. In the past, I always had these short terms goals that were unattainable. I found myself getting bored with working out and returning to binging on food. I do group exercise now and it really helps me stay motivated and having fun by taking classes at my local YMCA. It's been over a year and I haven't hit my goal weight, but that's ok. I'm healthy, I've developed good eating and exercising habits and I'm enjoying life. I'll eventually get to my goal, but I have the rest of my life to do that since this is lifestyle.
  • COliver416
    Options
    Great job! I think a lot of people can attest to the yo-yo dieting and fluctuation in weight. One thing that is different for me this time is that I never said I want to lose x amount of weight by this time. I committed myself for a year and going from there. In the past, I always had these short terms goals that were unattainable. I found myself getting bored with working out and returning to binging on food. I do group exercise now and it really helps me stay motivated and having fun by taking classes at my local YMCA. It's been over a year and I haven't hit my goal weight, but that's ok. I'm healthy, I've developed good eating and exercising habits and I'm enjoying life. I'll eventually get to my goal, but I have the rest of my life to do that since this is lifestyle.

Yes, exactly. As I point out, I've made this a lifestyle change. I have a 2 year plan of programs that I'm following and then a lifetime maintenance plan.

Not only that, I've begun to sign myself up for more and more active things. I got a gym membership to a rock climbing gym, which I go to weekly and love. I'm doing 5ks with friends now. Come better weather, I'll be climbing mountains, hiking trails, and much much more. I'm changing my lifestyle, not just adding working out and eating right. This too has been a complete change.

Good Luck LRunda, you'll keep nailing it.
  • mackemom
    mackemom Posts: 277 Member
    Options
    Fantastic!
  • minky_r
    minky_r Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    thank you for sharing..so inspiring...you look fabulous!
  • threeangelzmom
    Options
    I am so impressed by your Not Giving Up! I find it so encouraging and think it's wonderful that you are clearly on the path to better health. And by the way, you look really good. Congrats!
  • laurelthistle
    laurelthistle Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    Great job! You look great!
  • jkwolly
    jkwolly Posts: 3,049 Member
    Options
    Awesome progress! Keep it up!
  • xmichaelyx
    xmichaelyx Posts: 883 Member
    Options
    Amazing progress - congratulations! (And extra kudos to you for educating yourself, and taking advantage of the information available to all of us. Too many cling to a diet or program -- Weight Watchers, Jenny Craig -- that may or may not even help with their goals, and never venture out of their comfort zone to find what actually works. You've really accomplished something here.)
  • LinDiSm26262
    LinDiSm26262 Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    Thank you for sharing. I can relate to the story somewhat as my son was teased for his weight when he was in school and would be so depressed that the kids teased him so much. Look at what you've done! You didn't give up and kept trying. That's the key to the weight loss journey. I know you will reach your two year goal because you have determination. Thanks for your inspiring story.
  • BlestLiz
    BlestLiz Posts: 41
    Options
    Bumping because you deserve a lot more credit - awesome job!!
  • yasmine334
    yasmine334 Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    Great work and effort, my respect.

Bump.
  • chrs86
    chrs86 Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    5-6 pounds a week is unhealthy. I suggest you eat more.
  • Evilsha
    Evilsha Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Great job. That's a lot of weight really fast my friend. Be safe.
  • Luckee_me
    Luckee_me Posts: 1,426 Member
    Options
    Congratulations you look great.
    You should be so proud of yourself.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!