Pre/ Post workout drink

Options
I am looking for a good pre and post workout drink to help me recover easier and keep my energy up. I am currently taking supplements to balance estrogen levels so I need something with absolutely NO SOY! Does anyone have any ideas? I have looked online at GNC and am completely overwhelmed with choices.

Replies

• priskar
    priskar Posts: 156
    Options
    I usually have a small piece of fruit (tangerine or apple, etc.) about twenty minutes before working out and, within twenty minutes of finishing my workout I have a protein supplement such as Unjury or Myoplex.
  • adkmountainguy
    adkmountainguy Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    Pre workout, usually a chicken sandwich, afterwards, usually some hammer recoverite to aid in recovery.
  • wilkyway
    wilkyway Posts: 151
    Options
    Can absolutely recommend for post-workout
    - Myoplex lite nutrition shakes (absolutely looooove chocolate cream and chocolate fudge!!!)
    -Isopure zero carb liquid protein drink (blue raspberry!) > not as sweet as other high protein recovery drinks *thumbs up*

Preworkout
    -small serving of fruit, like half an apple or banana - small portion of greek yoghurt with 1/4 cup organic granola (nature's path flax plus!!!)
    - Kashi Go Lean! Crunchy bars are great too!

Deffo try them post-wkt drinks and just see what suits u best for pre :smile:

Hope this'll help a little
  • kirstindr
    Options
    Thanks for the suggestions everyone! I'll definitely look into the myoplex.
  • kirstindr
    Options
    Annnd don't know if I'll be taking this....several studies popped up on google showing high levels of arsenice. wowww.

http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2010/06/01/earlyshow/contributors/susankoeppen/main6537686.shtml
  • porcelain_doll
    porcelain_doll Posts: 1,005 Member
    Options
    My trainer actually told me to drink 4-6 oz. of low-fat chocolate milk after a hard workout. I thought it sounded weird, but evidently it is good for replenishing vitamin B, sugar, protein, and a few other things. I now look forward to having a cup of it after each workout!
  • musclebuilder
    musclebuilder Posts: 324 Member
    Options
    I am looking for a good pre and post workout drink to help me recover easier and keep my energy up. I am currently taking supplements to balance estrogen levels so I need something with absolutely NO SOY! Does anyone have any ideas? I have looked online at GNC and am completely overwhelmed with choices.

scivation quake 10.0 and myogenix hypershock are both some of my favorite pre WO supps. post WO I have a shake of oats, water and BCAA blended up..You could also add 5g creatine monohydrate to that if you are not getting any in any other supplements you may be taking. If calories are an issue you could simply consume about 5g BCAA.. Scivation Xtend, Core nutritionals Core ABC, Phenom Labs are all quality BCAA. If you are looking for an all in one pre made post WO drink then Myogenix aftershock is a good one that is not overly high in calories..And you may know this but I will say it in case..Typically about 30m after your Post WO shake or BCAA drink you should eat a whole foods meal. Ideally protein and healthy carbohydrates..
  • kirstindr
    Options
    I didn't know you needed a meal after your post workout drink! I only knew that you need to drink it within 30 minutes of finishing your workout.

scivation quake 10.0 and myogenix hypershock are both some of my favorite pre WO supps. post WO I have a shake of oats, water and BCAA blended up..You could also add 5g creatine monohydrate to that if you are not getting any in any other supplements you may be taking. If calories are an issue you could simply consume about 5g BCAA.. Scivation Xtend, Core nutritionals Core ABC, Phenom Labs are all quality BCAA. If you are looking for an all in one pre made post WO drink then Myogenix aftershock is a good one that is not overly high in calories..And you may know this but I will say it in case..Typically about 30m after your Post WO shake or BCAA drink you should eat a whole foods meal. Ideally protein and healthy carbohydrates..
  • Lynn52
    Options
    I read a report not long ago (but sorry dont t have the reference) that showed skim milk is not only as effective in replacying electroytes as specific replacement drinks but they proved that people who drank skim milk actually lost more weight. Probably a google search would find it ... I dont think they looked at full milk or 2% so these cannot be compared.
    cheers
    Lynn
  • musclebuilder
    musclebuilder Posts: 324 Member
    Options
    I didn't know you needed a meal after your post workout drink! I only knew that you need to drink it within 30 minutes of finishing your workout.

Yup, you gotta get some whole foods in you after you WO..Or at least a protein shake and some oatmeal or something like that which have higher energy densities. Also if you are interested do some searching around for (micronutrients effects on toxicity of non essential metals or metalloid like arsenic) which I see you were concerned about above. Interestingly protein powder is rich in the amino acid cysteine and it appears that Arsenic is detoxified by this amino acid among others. And also note they mention a few specific brands of protein out of many. A lot of foods contain metals believe it or not. And foods/nutrition like a protein powder look to play an important role in minimizing the daily accumulation, and enhancing the excretion, of toxic metals.
  • fasttrack27
    Options
    It's already hard getting up at 4:45 for my 5:30am workouts, so I just grab a banana and eat breakfast afterwards. Right now I'm taking a water bottle mixed with Heed (by Hammer) for energy during. On days of intense/long workouts of 90-120 min I will also bring a serving of a recovery drink - important to take asap (no more than 30min) after workout. I'm using Endurox R4. When I get home I generally have oatmeal or cereal/skim milk. I too get overwhelmed by GNC-type places. My mind doesnt really grasp all the scientific stuff, nor do I have time for lots of blending/cooking/etc - just give me a couple simple, proven powders from reputable sources. I can't give ALL the credit to these products, but I can say I have increased my workouts significantly the last couple months and don't bonk.