Jerk chicken from my local Carribean shop? Help!

Options
Tonight I want to have jerk chicken from my local Caribbean but how do I add up the calories? It comes as a big bit of chicken, I think it's a quarter.. Not sure! Help!

Replies

• tedrickp
    tedrickp Posts: 1,229 Member
    Options
    Jamaican food has no calories. Or at least that is what I tell myself every time I eat it.

On a serious note - when I do eat out at a place without nutritional info, I just try to find something in Database that matches as close as possible. In general, calorie counting is an inexact science, so while "close enough" isn't ideal, it is fine once in awhile IMO.
  • eldamiano
    eldamiano Posts: 2,667 Member
    Options
    Find something reasonable and then overestimate
  • waldo56
    waldo56 Posts: 1,861 Member
    Options
    Just use any average entry for roasted chicken, skin on or off (depending on if you were served and ate the skin or not). Jerk seasoning has virtually no calories. If there was any mango/pineapple estimate that too (shouldn't be many cals though).
  • waldo56
    waldo56 Posts: 1,861 Member
    Options
    Find something reasonable and then overestimate

Overestimating is a very poor estimating technique.

Build a factor of safety into your overall goals, not your individual entries. Good quality estimating means that you are trying to make every entry as right as reasonably possible. You want your log to reflect reality.
  • Thanks everyone.. And no there's nothing with it...
    I normally have there pasta which they add red, green & yellow pepper to it.. They cook it during the day then fry it up to heat it do u think that will have lots of calories?
  • SunofaBeach14
    SunofaBeach14 Posts: 4,899 Member
    Options
    What is it about women and jerks?
  • melaniecheeks
    melaniecheeks Posts: 6,349 Member
    Options
    Pasta has more calories than you probably think. The peppers will have very few cals, but frying it in oil to heat it up (really? Sounds odd....) will add a considerable number of cals.
  • LOL!!! And well I think they heat it up like that! But maybe il just get rice&peas :) gonna be a struggle to add it all up.. Wish I could cook like my local Jamaican lady! I've tried making my own jerk but never tastes as good!! :(
  • Gramps251
    Gramps251 Posts: 738 Member
    Options
    It's only one meal out of a week. Don't worry too much about it and don't eat it too often if you're concerned with the calories.
  • thatgirlkellib
    thatgirlkellib Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    LOL!!! And well I think they heat it up like that! But maybe il just get rice&peas :) gonna be a struggle to add it all up.. Wish I could cook like my local Jamaican lady! I've tried making my own jerk but never tastes as good!! :(

ask her if you can buy some spices /sauce premade for at home? I do this at my bbq shop that I love to eat at
  • pickle_walsh
    pickle_walsh Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    If your in the UK Asda does a great authentic jerk marinade called Dunn River. Its a wet marinade in a greed jar.