No carbs after lunch?

Options
My PT at the gym said that I need to eliminate carbs after lunch. My body fat % is 30 % and I weigh 127.4lbs. I have already replaced most of my simple carbs with complex carbs. How do I eliminate carbs from dinner and snacks or lower them? I think it's impossible to eliminate them! Even fruits and vegetables have carbs. I usually have an apple for an afternoon snack. I thought fruits and vegetables were healthy? A little background I work full time and have 2 kids so I use a crock pot during the week and like one pot meals during the week.

Replies

• astronomicals
    astronomicals Posts: 1,537 Member
    Options
    f that... ask for a scientific explanation and get a new PT if they cant give you a reasonable explanation...

either that or tell them to refrain from giving baseless dietary advice and stick to training (assuming they actually know something about that)

ETA:

Quite frankly, that sorta advice only really makes sense for someone on a TKD (Targeted ketogenic diet) or something like that.
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options
    Disregard. Your trainer is wrong.
  • BlueBombers
    BlueBombers Posts: 4,065 Member
    Options
    :noway:
  • SugaryLynx
    SugaryLynx Posts: 2,640 Member
    Options
    Disregard. Your trainer is wrong.

^This.
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    Dumb advice is dumb. I eat carbs at every meal, plus more carbs for snacks.
  • katro111
    katro111 Posts: 632 Member
    Options
    My experience with personal trainers has been the same... Not saying that all of them advise that way, though. The one I had a few years back automatically told me to eat 1200 calories (while working out 6 to 7 days a week for 60+ minutes at a time), don't eat carbs after lunch (even fruits and vegetables), don't eat ANYTHING after 6pm, etc. Also told me that when I plateaued it must be because I replaced the fat with gained muscle mass... while eating at an extreme deficit... :noway:
  • JTick
    JTick Posts: 2,131 Member
    Options
    Yeeeeahhhh...I wouldn't listen to that trainer.
  • tropicaltiger
    Options
    I would not for sure to that trainer-I eat carbs with my meals-and I still lose-I don't mean to say this trainer sounds like he needs a nutrtinist-i do fruits veg, and I stay 1200 works for me
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options
    bunch of stupid bro science...

I eat carbs at 9pm at night and am about 12% body fat...
  • sherreystl1
    sherreystl1 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone! That makes me feel better. It's weird because another personal trainer at the same gym told my husband the same thing. My carb percentage still seems a bit high at an average of over 50% and I need to increase my protein. I am trying, but it doesn't seem to change.
  • J72FIT
    J72FIT Posts: 5,948 Member
    Options
    My PT at the gym said that I need to eliminate carbs after lunch.

Get a new PT...
  • tennisdude2004
    tennisdude2004 Posts: 5,609 Member
    Options
    Unless you are an endurance athlete, or doing some other form of high intensity training, it really does not matter when you have your carbs.

Just stay in a deficit and you should see results.

Good luck.
  • catdevrandom
    Options
    Hey!

No carbs after lunch certainly makes no sense, BUT I had a nutritionist that recommended me not to eat grains, starchy roots and even fruit after 6pm (I was on a 1300 cal diet). I would certainly eat carbs, but they would be from vegetables (pumpkins, carrots, beetroot, green beans...) and dairy only. In fact, I was limiting a lot the amount of grains and potatoes from my diet, eating small portions only at breakfast, lunch and afternoon snack at the latest. I must say it made a huge difference for me. Oh, and that didn't apply if I went to the gym at night. In that case, she recommended a banana (and a whey protein shake) after the training session.

Following that advice is easy for me because lunch is my biggest meal, and I don't miss the starch so much in the evening. And, of course, that advice was given to me by a professional based on my own habits and needs. Yours might be different...

If you want, add me so that you can see my diary...

Cheers!

Edited to fix a grammar mistake. Oops!
  • pennyllayne
    pennyllayne Posts: 265
    Options
    High sugar carbs too close to bed time can affect your sleep if you have blood sugar problems or if you eat them alone, but I don't know of any scientific evidence that suggests a problem with eating carbs after lunch time. Your body doesn't know what time of day it is. Here's an article you might find helpful: http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/carbs-at-night-fat-loss-killer-or-imaginary-boogeyman.html
  • J72FIT
    J72FIT Posts: 5,948 Member
    Options
    that advice was given to me by a professional based on my own habits and needs. Yours might be different...

This is key...
  • belgerian
    belgerian Posts: 1,059 Member
    Options
    Agree with the above I eat plenty of carbs and have no issues. Has to do with deficit and to some extent the nutritional value if the food you eat. i know when I eat junk I feel like junk. When I eat more whole foood well I fell wholer (I made that up). Some people swear by low carb died and that is great for them but its not for me.
  • ahamm002
    ahamm002 Posts: 1,690 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure where the bro-science "no carbs after lunch" notion started, but it somehow seems common in the personal trainer world. Bob Harper from the biggest loser used to say it, so that certainly didn't help.

I think some personal trainers just give very crazy extreme advice to people b/c they assume their clients won't actually do it, but will do some sort of moderated version of it. So they'll tell you to eat 1200 calories per day assuming that you're actually going to eat twice as much as they tell you.
  • DeadliftAddict
    DeadliftAddict Posts: 746 Member
    Options
    When you see your PT again, smack the hell out of him/her.
  • Wtn_Gurl
    Wtn_Gurl Posts: 396 Member
    Options
    I would get a 2nd opinion.

for me, I eat carbs any time of day and Im losing 2-3 pounds per week. the carbs usually come from fruit and Greek Yogurt. and sometimes cereal.