Day one - again

Options
need help with getting over the "urges" .... I'm sure you all put food in your mouths without thinking. In doing this instead of losing weight - over the past 3 months I've gained 10 pounds. I walked 2 miles each day for past 3 days and gained 2 pounds.

Very frustrating. I'm 5'3" and my husband is 6 feet - I keep eating like him thinking I can have same amount - which is untrue. Back to reality - need to loose some weight before my 40th HS reunion in October and plus I just feel crappy.

Replies

• SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    No I don't put food in my mouth without thinking. Food that goes in my mouth has been weighed so there is thought behind it.

The 2lbs gained over the past 3 days is water retention from the new exercise...

If you want to lose weight then do it...it's that simple.

Make the choice to log accurately what you put in your mouth. That means weighing all solids, measure liquids, add it to the diary with the correct entry here and stay in a deficet.
  • Xaudelle
    Xaudelle Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    No I don't put food in my mouth without thinking. Food that goes in my mouth has been weighed so there is thought behind it.

The 2lbs gained over the past 3 days is water retention from the new exercise...

If you want to lose weight then do it...it's that simple.

Make the choice to log accurately what you put in your mouth. That means weighing all solids, measure liquids, add it to the diary with the correct entry here and stay in a deficit.

This. Pull yourself up by your bootstraps, work hard and do it.
  • pennyllayne
    pennyllayne Posts: 265
    Options
    need help with getting over the "urges" .... I'm sure you all put food in your mouths without thinking. In doing this instead of losing weight - over the past 3 months I've gained 10 pounds. I walked 2 miles each day for past 3 days and gained 2 pounds.

Very frustrating. I'm 5'3" and my husband is 6 feet - I keep eating like him thinking I can have same amount - which is untrue. Back to reality - need to loose some weight before my 40th HS reunion in October and plus I just feel crappy.

Putting food in your mouth without thinking is just a bad habit, but habits can be changed. Yes a lot of people have bad habits as far as food goes, but there is a belief that it takes 3 weeks to change a habit. So work really hard at changing that habit and in a few weeks it'll become 2nd nature to be more mindful with your eating. I also find that meal planning really helps. If you plan in advance you know what you've allowed yourself and it makes you less likely to just pick up something and eat it.

I don't know what you're eating or how much so it's hard to comment on the weight gain but weight fluctuations are common. Taking measurements will give you a more accurate idea of progress.
  • liftingandlipstick
    liftingandlipstick Posts: 1,857 Member
    Options
    At THIS point, I agree with the poster above- everything that goes into my mouth gets thought about. It's been measured, weighed, blah blah blah. Even gum gets logged for me (5 calories adds up!)

HOWEVER! I didn't get to this point (300#) by thinking about what I was eating. It happened because I'd grab chips and salsa while watching TV and polish off the whole thing by the time 2 episodes passed. There is, unfortunately, no quick fix for the urges, but my biggest help has been to eliminate them from my immediate area. I can't binge on chips and salsa if I have none in the house. I'll have to make do with something better for me- salsa as salad dressing if it's the salsa I really want. If I just HAVE to have the chips, I'll buy a single serving bag. Or buy a big bag, take out my serving, and then give the rest to someone else.

I know it's not fair that you can't eat the same way your husband does, but you have to keep your goal in mind! Post pictures or sayings that motivate you! Keep the HS reunion invite on the fridge. It'll make you stop and think- do I really want that ice cream, or do I want to look slammin' for that reunion? The mental part is just as hard to overcome as the physical, but you'll eventually work out what your triggers are, and find out that you possily don't even like all of the things you tend to overeat. You won't miss them.

Send me a FR if you'd like, I'm always looking to give (and get) support and encouragement :)
  • D_squareG
    D_squareG Posts: 361 Member
    Options
    The most important thing is to believe you can lose weight. And you can! And you will if you weigh and measure, log, move more and be mindful of your goals. Not for a week. Not for a month, but for a lifetime.
  • bm1409
    bm1409 Posts: 1,715 Member
    Options
    You can do it! You've taken the first step...you started! I was a little lazy over the winter and gained back 5 pounds....but Im happy because Im still down for where I was. Keep logging your food and exercise. I use Run Keeper to track my walking, it syncs to this site so It records it for me. You can do it!!!!!!!!
  • gypsy_spirit
    gypsy_spirit Posts: 2,107 Member
    Options

Like you for many years I talked the talk about getting healthy - but that was all. As Stef said: When you are ready to lose the weight - you will.

Read this link and then stop starting over - just keep going.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1175494-a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants
  • sun_fish
    sun_fish Posts: 864 Member
    Options
    Is thing something new (you mention gaining 10 pounds in the last 3 months) or have you done this your whole life? For me, it's the way I ate my whole life, eating without thinking about it. So at the age of 50, to change that, was challenging, but certainly not impossible. I have been logging for almost 2 years now, and I'm happy to say I have changed from eating whatever I wanted, to really thinking about it, weighing and measuring everything, and quite often pre-logging my food the night before. The pre-logging is what has really helped me stick to my calorie goal.

Do I still have urges? Sure. Do I still have days where I eat without thinking? Sure. However, those days are getting fewer and far between now, and being mindful about what I consume is has now become the norm. It's all about how much you want to change, and if you go into weight loss with 100% intention to succeed, you will succeed.

Edit to add: please read the above posted link (sexy pants link). It's pure gold.
  • faithful0609
    faithful0609 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    thanks all! yesterday was a wash .. but today I've logged in everything and planned dinner. So I'm on track - I've fought my weight my whole life - so bad habits are going to die hard, but I have to be honest with myself and just do it. the only way I can lose weight is by knowing exactly what I'm putting into my mouth - no more sneaking food or thinking "if no one sees me eat it, then it doesn't count" ... the blinders are off.