Crockpot Chicken?

Options
2»

Replies

• eelamme
    eelamme Posts: 1,135 Member
    Options
    I have issues with chicken, something about the bones so have never done a whole chicken. I will throw in breasts (though I know they are more expensive) with my fave bbq sauce and pineapple. Granted this was before attempting a "lifestyle change" so am not sure of the cals.
    Have also done the rotelo one someone else suggested...with cilantro and lots of lime. Throw it into a whole wheat tortilla or a regular flour one on a "cheat day" and broil a little on easch side so that it feels like a chimichanga minus the grease and fat.

My fiance loves any sort of bird and since it is normally just him and I for holidays such as Thanksgiving, I normally cave and do two cornish hens as opposed to a huge turkey. I've seen a few crockpot recipes for them and now I might actually try them.

Course, most ANYthing that comes from a crockpot is most delish!
  • Yardtigress
    Yardtigress Posts: 367 Member
    Options
    I do the foil balls on the bottom and use a dry rub for seasoning. I read about the foil balls in the crock pot and a whole chicken somewhere on line. Yes whole chickens are a lot cheaper, as if anything is cheap anymore, but it is cheaper than cut up chicken per pound. I wait for a sale and buy a bunch for the freezer. We do this at least once a month.
  • Phrick
    Phrick Posts: 2,765 Member
    Options
    bump
  • chele1028
    chele1028 Posts: 248 Member
    Options
    Bumping this, they all sound good!
  • nicwolbeck
    nicwolbeck Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    OMG I never would have thought of that we always do this and I cant stand how it sometimes gets slimy.. nice tip
  • wink212
    wink212 Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    bump
  • mrsgoochy
    mrsgoochy Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    When I can get roasters for $.99/LB I stock up and do this. I like the suggestion of putting something down like tinfoil balls to help the fat drain off. I'm pretty simple with seasonings; garlic and onion powder with a ton of fresh ground pepper. It's a pain to get all the small bones but it provides meat for our lunch salads , sandwiches and maybe a chicken taco.
  • arabianhorselover
    arabianhorselover Posts: 1,488 Member
    Options
    I wish I could get them for .99 a pound!
  • arabianhorselover
    arabianhorselover Posts: 1,488 Member
    Options
    I've been cooking one today. It's almost done, hopefully.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    I just rub it with onion powder, salt, garlic powder and put it in there. It totally falls off the bones, which is useful, but I still like it roasted better.
  • Donna___
    Donna___ Posts: 12
    Options
    Thanks!
  • bimpski
    bimpski Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    bump
  • tasharock
    tasharock Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    The stock can be used for cooking rice, quinoa or use for making chicken & noodles - basically anything you'd use canned chicken broth for.
  • tasharock
    tasharock Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    I do mine like this and love it but my boyfriend says he doesn't like the consistency...something about being too soft. So when I know he's going to be eating it I'll throw it under the broiler for a few minutes before serving to crisp it up a bit. And I like others make the stock afterwards. When cooking the chicken I don't add any liquids. After the chicken is done i'll pull all the meat from it then throw the carcass back in the slow cooker. Here's where I add carrots, celery, onions, whatever. I'll add several cups of water, depending on how big the original chicken was. Then I let it cook overnight. In the morning you have a slow cooker full of the best chicken stock! I freeze them in my silicon muffin pan so I have stock in 1 cup servings ready to go.

Great idea on the muffin pan! Thanks!
  • Kitship
    Kitship Posts: 579 Member
    Options
    Yes!

Do it!

So economical and I felt like Betty freakin' Crocker when I was serving it up and bragging about my homemade broth for the weeks to come!

The family loved it and I yielded several cups of free, nutrient rich broth.

A whole bird and 10? cups of broth for $5? Oh heck yes!

This is the recipe I learned from:

http://www.100daysofrealfood.com/2011/02/25/recipe-the-best-whole-chicken-in-a-crock-pot/

^^^ I second this recipe. SO simple and the most delicious roasted chicken I've ever eaten!
  • robinerikson
    Options
    Thanks guys for sharing your ideas! I'm gonna try some of your suggestions.
  • AsaThorsWoman
    AsaThorsWoman Posts: 2,303 Member
    Options
    I'm going to make this recipe tomorrow add 1 potato diced and no celery.

I'm so excited I actually have the lemon and white pepper this time.

Half the time I omit half the ingredients and it's still divine.

Tomorrow we feast!

http://www.thelittlekitchen.net/whole-chicken-in-a-slow-cooker/